my garden progress thread

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by mgn, Apr 30, 2007.

1. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have you know that is a veritable haven for wildlife and a valuable asset in terms of botanical progress.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until I figure out how to put my strimmer from B&Q together.

TO

2. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well i thought about having a 'wildlife garden' sign made, just to back up my story you know ;)

good luck with your strimmer- mine has to have the wire re done every few minutes, its a PITA, i hate it but it's better than the rusty shears i used to use.

look in the pound shops when you need new wire for it, you get 3 rolls for �£1 and it's okay stuff.

3. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously, every few minutes? I bought one that you wire up yourself because it was a bit cheaper but if it keeps snapping that will drive me mad.

TO

4. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yeh no kidding unfortunately. they are only meant for edging and then where there is no thick weeds or stones, they cant handle anything much more. mines the orange one, the famous make that i cant remember lol, you'll know the one.

theyre pretty easy to use though, when the wires gone you just press the sides in and it's supposed to just wind out, but mine i've always had to take the whole reel out and feed new bits through the holes, thats the bit thats a pain.

and if you are going to use that alone for a lawn its impossile to get a total neat effect, you have to give it a once over then go the same way with it but once you rake up the grass it looks ****, hence why my lawn always looks rubbish.
    ...but for the price was better than nothing!

better head off to bed i think, its about that time, was a red sky tonight so hopefully we'll see some sun tomorrow before the downpour wednesday!
    nighty night!

5. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    funny, it's stared out a word i didnt even think was swearing! pretty cool!

6. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    today made a start with the painting.
    used up what was left of the white emulsion and part painted the solid fencing.
    painted one chair, all of the green pots (not totally finished) and the wheelbarrow oxford blue.

ruined my sandles with the gloss though, i never learn!

drew a wishing well design for my b/f to make for the top of the garden, he just says make it with what rotten wood? yup i say, cos if i paint it it'll look fabulous! (i'm optimistic!)

7. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just been reading another thread - didnt realise that bulbs could be put in upside down :(

i just put them 5 packets in any which way!!!!
    I cant dig them up as they are just all over the place - another learning curve i suppose... hey ho!
    you would think it would be on the instructions

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    If in doubt - stick the bulb in sideways. Nature will sort it out. It will grow roots and they will pull it the right way up.

9. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi peter, thanks for giving me hope!!! - my dad laughed when i said it had no instructions, he said no one is that stupid they dont know how to plant bulbs lol!
    well some will be the right way, some the wrong way and some on their side - chances dictate some will grow - yeh think i'll put my trust in mother nature on this one.

Excited today, my first flower showing!!!
    [​IMG]

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted all my herbs out and put them all down the side of the garage, in the window boxes and down the path.
    Got: mint, basil, chives and rosemary (i think, cant rememeber) and also put some cat nip near the cat gang hut cat flap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    also put some nice stones in the 'pond' and my ornamental bird to liven it up some

[​IMG]

12. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    also bought another 2nd hand gardening encyclopedia for 50p today.
    my gardening books are mountng up now! shame i never looked up bulbs...

have had a general move around with the pots today, garden in bit of a mess at the mo. but wont be for long.

have also cut my nails off :( cant have long nails and garden as they are impossible to keep clean at the minute - i must be getting really into this.

13. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ANYONE WANT A PACKET OF FOXGLOVE SEEDS????

If so just pm me your address and i'll post them off to you. They were free on Amateur Gardener, but I have pets and i dont want them to eat them - i dont trust them not to, but dont want them to go to waste either - they are bonny white ones.

=================================

Today put my pots back neatly and swept up. Was very windy so sort of a gardening day off.

14. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    nearly forgot, also collected grass seed from the long grass to use for when extend the lawn. Need to collect much more and guessing i might have to spread it out to dry maybe? thought this was very frugal instead of buying grass seed.:)

15. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just loggod on to wrap this up really, it's a shame but I'm not prepared to do anything more to the garden now as I feel i am being forced to move. So my garden progress has stopped half way through.

the garden will just get a tidy up and the next person can carry on with it, i think they would still get a good garden.

will find out monday if there is a place we can move to, then it's a matter of selling asap.

shame and i'm gutted but such is life. Will just have another garden to do anyway, and i have got the gardening bug now.