my garden progress thread

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by mgn, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    why dont the emoticons work for me anymore???
    :) :D :dance: :confused: :A: :p :boohoo:

are they showing up?

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Mgn, Recon: Trade abreviation for reconstituted stone slabs. Basicly cement and stone dust mixed together and cast into moulds taken from actual stone flags.

A bad picture below of recons below (aged and new):

[​IMG]

3. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi proguard, that's maybe not such a bad idea for my paths rather than gravel - been thinking about that today and maybe gravel and cats not so practical (looks like litter...) - not sure on the making up from moulds though, seems like a bit too much faff for the tiny area - something to chew on anyway.

i might get out there tomorrow and make a start dismantling the wood from the wall, doing too much typing about it and no actual work.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    mgn, click on "my profile" at the top, then go to "edit profile".
    Make sure the box near the bottom entitled "disable gremlins by default" is NOT checked.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Mgn, You dont make them yourself, they are they are available as standard in differnt sizes and colurs from builders merchant under the variuse manufactures brands Recon slabs is simply a generic term.

The slabs shown above were Stone Market Yorkstone riven paving in York buff. The picture was taken just after pointing and having struck the joints but before being brushed down to remove the snots.

Its not clear from the picture as Id just pointed them but I used a yellow sand so the pointing dried to similar shade to the slabs.

Rather than plain gravel or solid slab paths you could do something like this (4"x1" tanalised edging with teram membrane and slabs layed as stepping stones onto chippings in this job limestone chippings)

[​IMG]

[ 02. January 2008, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Pro Gard ]

7. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks pete, it was ticked, hopefully they work now... :p a post isnt complete without one i think!

now helen how do you know i own a whip? :eek: we are both still ill with this cold, so i'm afraid i'm still at the talking stage about the garden, but i bought a new book today to chart my progress and ideas in - so one step forward than yesterday :eyes:

progard i am afraid to ask if snots was a typo or if it's another gardeneing term i dont know about ?... your pic above does look more like what i had in mind. I was looking through the Argos catalogue last night and they've got the wood decking tiles and thought they would work really well with gravel and light enough to move about if i wanted to, so i may opt for those.

we are forcast snow tomorrow, it's not looking good for getting anything done soon really.

8. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    okay i am declaring a promise here to start tomorrow on the garden - no more talking about it, just going to do it! expect pics of transformation happening soon!

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i woke up and said to my husband can we start on the garden now...he had already been out and done the first jobs!!!! [​IMG]

so the wood has been dismantled and the concrete broken up
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    next job is to get the concrete bagged up (and other rubbish) then I'll finish painting the wall, fix up that bit of end fence and going to cover it in that stick covering stuff. Then I'll get those decking boards from Argos and work on making this area infront of the window a patio.
    Going to buy iron table and chairs and paint them black, and have seen a nice black iron 3 tier planter in argos that would go good in the corner

11. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    bought 4 conifers from Morrisons, �£1.49 each - i dont tend to kill these and they last all year through, so I think i am onto a winner!

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

13. Sinta

Sinta Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a nifty idea! I needed a solution for a nice working path from the patio to the shed. At the moment the lawn is very boggy, so every boot step sounds like a cacophony of disgusting bubbling noises. Thanks!

14. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    WILL IT EVER STOP RAINING/HAILSTONING/SNOWING?
    Hi Borrowers, i am back to the talking stage even though wasnt actually me who has gone out and done anything yet ;) Yep i like gravel paths too - i think the cats will just have to NOT use it as litter, cos I am having it! Good bargain on your chair - I know you like your bargains (it was you with the 37" tv wasnt it?)

Nice site sinta, just had a read of it - the tree story was good about your mum who visited it too!
    And i dont know why but *cacophony of disgusting bubbling noises* amused me! :D

15. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I knew there was a reason i got married :D he went and finished painting the outside wall for me while I was still in bed [​IMG] (again) so 2 jobs done and I still havnt even been out the back door!
    you can see the conifers i bought on the windowsill.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

tesco are having a half price sale so going to look online to see if anything available for the garden.