my garden progress thread

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by mgn, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    As long as you use an angular gravel, you wont get cats digging. Ive made dozens of gravel paths for clients and also in my own garden and not had problems.

Bark chips are another matter!

3. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    whoops sorry helen - not au fait with everyone here yet [​IMG]

Hi pro, I used bark in my last garden and never had a problem with them using it and I had gravel before that in the garden before that one and they did use it (pea gravel) - so i'll look for angular gravel although i'll have to google what that is. thanks for the tip [​IMG]

i wish the weather would pick up, i'm cold all the time and just want to get infront of the fire. My hubby is wanting to start the internal fence first so will have to start looking into what we are going to use - I dont think we are going to go for those panels again as they get holes in too easily, so looks like we'll just buy the wood.
    one thinga for sure we had better get ourselves in gear and start soon though.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Mgn, All i meen is just a non rounded gravel ie not pea garvel

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

6. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    pro i mentioned it to my husband and he looked at me as if i was an idiot -- he knew what you meant hehe. did i mention i wasnt a gardener or inteligent? [​IMG]
    luckily there is good local place that stocks a good range of gravel so will get something that looks good but cheap.
    I'm going to not fully deck the patio bit but have gravel round there as it'll keep the cost down.

helen i think its off putting to them (the bark) as its quite sharp when dry and slippy when wet. i love the smell of it when the bags just opened, but want a more contemporary feel this time.

i'm going to do some painting in the house this week but hopefully will get the concrete bagged and taken to the tip (it's a start) and takle the weeds and maybe even get the slabs lifted if I ask nicely [​IMG]

7. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    (moan) I'm a bit miffed today.
    The house next door is being done by builders and they used my front garden to dump their rubbish as they have laid a new lawn!
    I have got heather and lavender in their and one just walked right over them and they dumped a huge pile of rubbsih right on top :mad: i gave him a row and tomorrow we are getting the wood to put up boundry gates - i reckon they thought we wern't in so thought they would just use our garden as the tip to save their new lawn.!!!
    i'm having a hard time as it is to get the heather to take off and settle, I dont need morons thinking they can just do that - i'm glad they were just builders though and not permanent residents. [​IMG]

anyway i put my foot down straight away as i didnt sell my house to put up with more of the same (/moan)

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dump it all back and plant the foreman mgn.

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we did walnut, i was calling him all th eneames under the sun (i exploded i'm afraid0 and to give him credit he just smiled and said sorry in the end.

well feel better as we got some uvpc cladding that was erm... lieing around from next door :D
    it's been a funny kind of non-battle, they pinched our bag of cement but dumped 2 internal doors we had put out for the tip - then they go and dump rubbish on our garden so we took the cladding to use in the bathroom!

hubby got one post in today for the front gate but its been raining like mad. i hear there are floods in england, its not looking good.

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    There are floods in Wales as well mgn. :D

12. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ...and wales then :D i didnt know that actually! another wet year then?

I think I diddled Argos today --- they are changing over to their new catalogue so alot of the prices were �£9,999.99 ------ well the decking I was after was �£17.99 for a metre square but came out at �£9.99 --- I think they meant to put in the 9,999.99 --- so I quickly bought 4 packs! Should be here Monday.

And also bought 8 lights for �£11+ from Woolworths, 3 brown planters from B&Q half price, 4 herb markers and a brown cat from Wilkys, and bought 4 packs of wood edging from B&Q.
    So a good start.

Hopefully next week will get gravel then can make a good start - just got to decide what the cheapest option for an internal fence will be.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just noticed it say 3 x 1 metre lengths, i thought the whole thing was the length so enough to maybe do the front garden too

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I think you got a few bargains there, mgn. [​IMG] ;)

15. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well done mgn... I love a bargain..