My Garden Progress

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin Cowans, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,130
    Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the Reply.

Now that the Tree has gone you can plainly see that it was restricting the Nutrients available to the Lawn.

So, I need to achieve a few things with the Front Lawn.

Get the Damage rectified which is progressing.

Level the Lawn as the Damaged Area will undoubtedly Settle, no matter how much preparation I have done.

And lastly, I need to replenish the Nutrients that were taken by the Tree.

The Goal is to get the Front Lawn looking as good as the Back Lawn.

Then, of course I also need to Level the Back Lawn too.

If I had the Lawns Seeded then they would no doubt be more Level.

Being Turfed, there are Dips that correspond to where the Turves have knitted together.

Having an Eye for Detail can be a Positive but it can also be a Curse :wallbanging:

Thanks

Kevin

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Definitely! Your lawns look perfect to me, excluding the newly seeded patch of course. :) I'm glad you can't see the state of mine, especially at the moment. The arm injury I had two years ago has returned so I can't use my motor mower. I've hired someone to strim and mow but he's currently abroad and the lawns are already above ankle height. I hate seeing them like it but there's nothing I can do until he returns at the weekend, and hopefully puts my lawns at the top of his list for next week.

3. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,130
    Hello @Sheal

Sorry, I missed your Post and that the issues with your Arm have returned, i hope the issues with your Arm are resolved sooner rather than later.

The Grass Seed in the Front Garden has grown well.

This is how it looks now:

20230605_112228.jpg

Please ignore the slightly Scalped areas of Lawn, the Patch is lower than its surroundings.

I need to Level the Lawn, probably the whole Lawn as it has dips throughout.

I have been Watering the Lawn Twice a Day for 10 Minutes at 05:00 and 17:00.

Now that the Grass Seed has grown as it has, do I stop the Watering or just reduce it?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Hi Kevin,

Thank you, but I think the problem with my arm isn't going to go away completely. Unfortunately the aging process doesn't help and we have to get used to living with certain things.

The new grass is looking good. :thumbsup: I would reduce watering to just once a week for the next two to three weeks and then it can be stopped completely. Keep an eye on it though, should the weather remain dry for extended periods of time.

5. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,130
    Hello @Sheal

I am sorry to hear that :sad:

I have just been advised to not Ride my Bike as my Cataracts are affecting my Balance.

I am slightly unsteady on the Bike but I put it down to not being on a Bike for 16 Years.

I have been advised to not Ride the Bike until after I have had the Cataract Surgery on Both Eyes, the Left Eye is the worse one and I should be having the Surgery in Late July, hopefully, followed by the Right Eye when the Left Eye is sufficiently healed.

I was really looking forward to getting out on the Bike :wallbanging:

I will keep an eye on the Grass Seed and Water as needed.

Thanks

Kevin

6. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +31,321
    Oh, Kevin you will be super happy after your cataracts are done. Mine were done a couple of years ago and they also fixed my extemely poor vision with the new lenses. One eye was 8/20 vision and the other 10/20. It was lovely not having to wear contacts or glasses. Well worth the wait. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,130
      Hello @CanadianLori

Thanks for the Reply.

The difference in Prescription for Both Eyes is quite high, they said that they would fix that at the same Time which will also improve my Vision.

The only things that have me Worried are the fact that I am having to have General Anaesthetic, as, due to my Autism, my Awareness of my surroundings is heightened and as such, there is no way I could have it done under a Local Anaesthetic.

Secondly, the Eye Drops, asking me to administer Eye Drops is like asking me to Stab myself, it will never happen.

Fortunately, I have been told that the District Nurses will be able to administer the Eye Drops for as long as is needed.

Because I will be having a General Anaesthetic, I will need to stay in the Ward overnight, not really a problem, however, Hospital Beds are not made for someone who is 6'5".

i will probably end up sleeping in a Chair

Thanks

Kevin

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,887
        Hi Kevin,

Not riding your bike for the time being is probably good advice even though that frustrates you. The time until your first eye surgery in late July will soon tick round and you'll be back on two wheels in the not too distant future. :)

You're bound to be anxious about your stay in hospital, but the nursing staff will take good care of you. They must have beds suitable for someone of your height, they can't expect patients of 6ft and above to lay in bed with their knees under their chin.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,130
        Hello @Sheal

I seem to be missing your Posts, sorry about that :sad:

Unfortunately, the Beds in NHS Hospitals are still the same Length, they have the Wider Beds available for the Larger Person but not Longer.

Honestly, I can cope with the Beds, I just want the Cataracts sorted, hopefully it will not be much longer.

Anyhow, back on Topic :)

This Time Last Year the Landscapers were here re-laying the Patio, Paving and laying the New Lawns.

This is how the Back Garden looks now:

2023-06-12_10-25-21-489.jpg

The Plants seem to be lagging behind where they were Last Year even with the disturbance of the Landscapers.

The Front Lawn is looking good, this is how it looks now:

20230612_103417.jpg

I just need to Level the Lawn then it will be all done, except for Weeding, I Hate Weeding.

With Levelling the Lawn in mind, I have Ordered 3 x 25KG Bags of 70/30 Lawn Top Dressing which should be here in a Few Days.

It should be a straightforward Job to Level the Lawn, hopefully, it is not something that I have done before so hopefully it goes well.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,887
          Hi Kevin,

Don't worry about missing my posts. There haven't been many this week as I haven't been on GC much, too busy with other things.

I really don't understand why hospitals don't cater for taller people, it doesn't make sense to me.

Your garden looks great and don't worry about the performance of the plants. :thumbsup: They will differ from year to year and changing weather patterns affect them too.

The front lawn does look good, I can hardly see where the tree was removed. I'm sure you'll make a good job of levelling it. Not in my current garden, it's too wild and undulating, but in the past I've only ever levelled lawns by eye.

I noticed you have the same Spiraea that I have in the bottom, left corner of your front lawn picture. I think mine has red flowers though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,130
            Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the Reply.

I got an Update regarding the Top Dressing, it should be Delivered Tomorrow.

I may wait until it Cools down somewhat as it is Too Hot for Me, then again, I shall see as the Front Garden is in Shade until approximately 13:00 when the Sun makes its way around.

I have access to a Lawn Levelling Lute which should make things easier, hopefully.

More Photos to come.

In My opinion, Spiraea are underrated, I have Six in all, 4 in the Back Garden and 2 in the Front Garden.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,887
              It's too hot for me too, it was 26C here today, I prefer it to be around 18C. I was out in the heat, although in the shade, raking and levelling the gravel on my drive and turning area. The drive is long so it took quite a while.

I agree with you about Spiraea being underrated. I think because the flowers aren't big and blousey they tend to be overlooked. There also tends to be 'fashion' with plants. Dahlia's for instance were popular back in the 60's and 70's and then disappeared, but this last few years they have made a come back.

• Like Like x 1
              • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                +1,130
                Hello @Sheal

Well, the Top Dressing was Delivered Yesterday, too Late to do anything though as the Sun had appeared in the Front making it too Hot.

I have just been out, before the Sun appeared in the Front, and tried Levelling the worst Area, where the Tree was removed.

I needed to use 1 x 25L Bag just for that Area, so Time will tell if I have Levelled the Area or just killed the Grass.

I made sure that the Grass Blades were showing through the Top Dressing and I also Watered the Area to settle it in.

I will Water the Area Daily until the Grass starts Growing again.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 3
                • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +31,321
                  Those are beautiful gardens and lawns @Kevin Cowans. I am envious!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,887
                  Hi Kevin,

No, you won't kill the grass it's very resilient. It will make it's way up through the top dressing.