My Garden Progress

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin Cowans, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,130
    Hello all

Well, I managed to Pressure Wash the Patio, Paving and Setts.

It looks so much Better, and Best of all, it is no longer Lethal to Walk on :)

This is how it looks now:

2024-02-10_14-14-23-266.jpg

All I need to do now is Weeding and more Weeding and of course, Pruning :wallbanging:

I will start that soon, hopefully :sad:

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,873
    • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,130
      Hello @Fat Controller

Apologies, I missed your Post.

Thanks for the Kind Words, I still have some way to go to get the Gardens Back on Track but I am getting there, slowly.

I have been doing Bits and Pieces in the Back Garden this Past Week, including Cutting Back, Weeding and Cleaning the Water Feature Reservoir, a Messy Job but it needed doing and I have not done it for the last Couple of Years.

This is how the Garden looks as of This Morning and Yes, it is Raining, again:

1#1$20240219085711042.jpg

It is a lot Tidier, I am just waiting to Cut the Lawns which I will hopefully be able to do in Early March, hopefully.

I also need to Hard Prune the Santolina (Cotton Lavender) situated next to the Shed as it is not looking Good.

I have not even started on the Front Garden yet, hopefully that will be started in Early March too.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,130
        Hello all

I hope you are Well.

I have a few Spiraea in the Garden that really need Tidying, i know I asked this Question previously, somewhere, but am unable to find it.

This is an example of one of the Spiraea:

20240220_085931.jpg

Can I Hard Prune Spiraea now or should I wait until Late March?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +23,827
        Looks like it really only needs a light tidying up to me which you can certainly do now.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,130
        Hello

Thanks for the Reply and the confirmation.

Kevin

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,882
        Hi Kevin,

As Loofah has said a light prune would be good. This will also encourage it to produce more branches and fill out. If you pruned it heavily it wouldn't be able to do that.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,130
        Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the Tip, Good to know.

Next are the Lavenders which are all looking rough :sad:

This is what I get for not being able to do anything in the Garden since August :wallbanging:

I am due for my Opticians Appointment in May when I should be referred to Ophthalmology for Cataract Surgery on my Right Eye, hopefully, if so then there will be another period when I will not be doing anything in the Garden again.

I must admit though, it is nice to be able to get back into the Garden especially since the Neighbours that I did not get on with moved out just before the Holidays :)

Unfortunately, the Table and Benches that I was hoping to be able to get this Spring (ish) are not going to materialise :wallbanging:

What with the New Entrance Doors, Consumer Unit, Plastering, Central Heating and Radiators I am somewhat Financially Challenged at the moment :sad:

I will get the Table and Benches at some point, when is another thing entirely, I get my Pension from Work in 2026 so maybe then :noidea:

Thanks

Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,882
          Hi Kevin,

I know you like to keep your garden neat and tidy but your well being must come first. :) The garden won't turn into a jungle and you can potter around when you're feeling up to it.

I wish you well with the surgery in May and while you're recovering you'll be able to sit outside, weather permitting, and work out what needs to be done.

It's a bonus that your neighbours have moved which will make life a little easier. Let's hope their replacement/s are better.

Yes, you've had quite a bit of work done around your house in the last couple of years. Hopefully that will ease off and the furniture you want for the garden won't be too far away.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
          +1,130
          Hello @Sheal

Thanks for the Reply.

I am hoping to be Referred for Cataract Surgery in May, if I am, then I am hoping that the Assessment Stage does not take as long as it did previously, here's hoping :)

The New Neighbour is a Young(ish) Woman who, according to Her Mother who I spoke to before the Holidays, is currently going through a Divorce which is never a Good Time :sad:

She Moved In at the Beginning of January and seems to spend a Few Days here and then a Few Days Elsewhere, She is a Teacher so is out of the House all Day which works for Me :)

On a Gardening Note, My Green Bin is now Full so no more Weeding or Pruning until the Green Bin Collections Resume on 29 February, once they Start again the Green Bin is Emptied every Two Weeks.

Also, why is it that we are given a Green Bin for Garden Waste and then when it is filled to the Top as mine is currently, the Bin Men complain that it is too Heavy :wallbanging:

Thanks

Kevin

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,882
          Hopefully your new neighbour will be friendlier and quieter than those previously.

Living rurally I can't have a green bin here, it's not worth the cost of providing the service to the outer areas of Inverness which is 14 miles away. That's not a problem as I can compost or burn anything from the garden.

I doubt you're putting anything heavy in the bin as you're garden isn't and probably won't be at a stage where it produces things of any considerable weight. Perhaps the bin men just need something to whinge about. :)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
          +1,130
          Hello all

Well, the Green Bin has been Emptied for the First Time since November 2023, with no Complaints from the Bin Men and the Back and Front Lawns have now had their First Cut of the Year and look much Tidier :)

This is how the Back Garden is looking now:

1#1$20240229140934960.jpg

Now that the Green Bin has been Emptied I can get more of the Weeding and Pruning done, I can also Start on the Front Garden too which is in need of some attention.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,882
            Hi Kevin,

A garden always looks neat and tidy when the lawns have been mowed. :) Mine haven't started growing yet, another two to three weeks I think.

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +19,299
            I hope your cataract surgery goes well. You'll have the summer to enjoy your garden.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,130
            Hello @Sheal

My Lawns Started Growing in Early February, however, I thought it was too Early to Cut them so I held off.

Now, I just need the Rain to Stop so I can resume the Pruning and Weeding :)

@Michael Hewett

I have not been Referred for Cataract Surgery on My Right Eye, Yet.

I had My Left Eye done in August 2023.

Since then, the Vision in My Right Eye has Deteriorated, so, when I see My Optician in May I am hoping to be Referred for Cataract Surgery, hopefully, the Assessment Process will be Quicker than it was for My Left Eye.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1