My Garden Progress

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin Cowans, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,017
    Maybe an autumn feed might help @Kevin Cowans. My lawn took a while to recover from scarifying this year. I did it in March too and think that autumn would have been better to avoid damaging any newly emerging shoots.

2. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +300
    Really sorry to see the deterioration of your lawn over the last year; those brown patches are endemic to all lawns if they are not constantly surveyed, nurtured and “done right” by. I treat mine as some regard a zen garden, but it is fickle and ungrateful. Like you, I periodically get these inexplicable brown patches. I recently dug out a particularly puzzling one and, underneath, found … NOTHING untoward; it had to be re-sown with fresh topsoil, a little gentle fertilizer, regularly watered, and protected at night from armies of grass predators; then came the patient wait for resurgence …

The main culprits of brown patches are: drought, poa annua, debris, roots, exhausted soil, lack of nutrients, not enough light, chafer grubs or/and leather jackets ... and many more!

Looking at yours, roots (trees or shrubs) or not enough light are unlikely - drought this year doubtful. Since the browning is fairly widespread, it suggests lack of nutrients (fertilizers) and possibly creatures (ants, grubs, etc.) gnawing at the roots.

Luckily, your area of lawn is not too large and therefore remedies (including nematodes, for which you would be just in time this year) would not be exorbitant, or you could even consider renovating while following "the book" to the letter … litreally, from scratch.

All the best and keep us posted!

3. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,131
    Hello

Thanks for the Replies.

Sorry for not Replying sooner but with not being able to utilise my Phone at the moment due to the need for new Glasses I have to rely on my Desktop which is not always available.

@Busy-Lizzie

The Lawn has had plenty of Moisture so I do not think it is that.

@Plantminded

I usually have the Lawns Aerated and Scarified later in the Season, around the End of September, Early October, however, due to the Heavy Rains we had Last Year, the Aeration and Scarification was rescheduled for March.

I have now rescheduled the Aeration and Scarification back to the Late Season due to this issue.

@LawnAndOrder

There used to be a Small Weeping Cherry in the Middle of the Lawn which was removed Early Last Year due to it suffering Die Back for a Few Years, could that be the cause?

Fertilizers are added to the Lawns in Spring, Summer and Autumn so that should not be the issue.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Kevin

4. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +300
    If roots were left behind and are secretly resurging, that could well be the issue.

In any event, persevere and you'll get there, the only problem is that when you do, you'll have nowhere to go …

As Confucius and Socrates used to say (interesting that they should both have had exactly the same thought!):

“What do they know of life who nothing of lawnmowing know?”

5. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,131
    Hello @LawnAndOrder

Thanks for the Reply.

If the leftover Roots are the Issue then what would be your suggestion as to the First Step?

Thanks in advance

Kevin