My Garden.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Freddy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Here

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    :wow: :wow: :wow: Freddy ... what a transformation ... I am well impressed and give yourself a :pathd:

Your sheep ... I assume it is like the sheep / deer/ horses / other critters here ... ???? Lovely touch to the garden I must say ... :heehee: ... gives it that 'country feel' ...

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hiya Vicky:)

Yes, they had quite a few to choose from. I got quite a few funny looks, as I drove back with the sheep in the back seat. And again, when I carried it through to the back garden:biggrin: I remember when a relative visited, she thought it was real, but didn't see it until she was quite close, it gave her quite a fright:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,159
      Only problem Freddy is that he/she (does it have a name by the way?) is far too clean ... ;)

• mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,626
      Looking really good freddy ;) :blue thumb:

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
      Ratings:
      +3,267
      Thank you!

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      such a lovely garden you have Freddy, beautiful, its a credit to you :dbgrtmb: i want that sheep he's fab :blue thumb:

Freddy can i ask about you using bark chippings as a path? it never occurred to me to use it for anything other than a mulch :doh: does it work out well what with it being trod on regularly & all, would it not get soggy underfoot in wet weather or i dunno stick to your shoes or any unforeseen drawbacks like that?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        I have that for some of my paths. I removed some topsoil first (heaped onto the beds) and then laid driveway-membrane (i.e. not the woven sort), and then bark on top. The bark I have is large/rough, rather than fine. I don't have a problem with it picking up on my boots etc, and its nice to walk on. Only problem is the blessed chickens scrabble in it looking for grubs and kick it onto the flower beds (and the soil in the flower beds onto the bark on the paths :( )

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,915
        Kristen it sounds like just what we need! ye'see we have another little section of garden at the side of the house, the ground there was long ago concreted over (for the large dog we had many years ago) we were thinking what we could get to cover it, we don't really want any more gravel or decking. do you think bark would be a good option? considering it would get well trampled (by me mostly as my potting sheds over there) & very importantly would it be ok for the dogs to walk about on, no splinters or anything?

• wandering

wandering Gardener

Ratings:
        +17
        Hi,
        Just chipping in with my own experience. I used bark over an area that was part soil and part uneven tarmac. It was outside a flat and not technically mine, so was a cheap and effective way of keeping the area tidy looking. I just threw a fresh layer over the top once a year when the crocuses planted in the soil had died down. After ten years, there was a layer of compost on the tarmac below the bark but the top still looked good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          I reckon you'd be fine. But there is Bark and then there is Bark ... "wood chippings" would be unsuitable, and I expect some places sell that as "bark" ... so perhaps check that the product is large-pieces and soft-ish-edges, which is how it should be IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
          • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,915
            oh good to know, i'll have to be careful to get the right stuff, it seems to be exactly what we need & it'd look absolutely fab to boot, i just love the woodland-y look of it :thumbsup:

thank you both for your help it was very much appreciated :imphrt: