My Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Freddy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks, growing over the archway are a couple of climbing roses that are now obscured by a Clematis. I have around 12 Koi which is pretty much the limit considering the amount of water I have (around 2,000 gallons). The wife doesn`t really want to take much with us apart from a few plants that we particularly like. The garden isn`t looking at it`s best right now, it`s getting a bit overgrown. Since we first laid it out it`s come on leaps and bounds, it`s great how nature fills in the gaps! What you cant see in the pics, is my pergola (not fully anyway) which has two Wisteria`s growing over it. In the spring, they put on a great show. They flowered after the first year of planting!, but you do have to be fairly ruthless with them (cutting back)otherwise they can really take over. BTW..thanks for your nice comments, much appreciated. Cheers...freddy.

2. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    BTW, if I was staying here, that Clematis would have to go, it looks great there, but the flowers are rubbish, nothing like the flowers shown on the label :mad: B&Q eh !

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Smashing garden there Freddy really nice you can see an awful lot of hard work as gone into it.

Just one question if I may?
    Is that a window covered by tellis work?
    Helen.xxx.

4. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Helen, yes, that`s the garage window. We wanted to cover it up, looked a bit ugly. Cheers...freddy.

5. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice garden Freddy , very interesting [​IMG]

6. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Freddy your to modest mate that looks bloody lovely all the best..daz

7. seeker of knowledge

seeker of knowledge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a lovely garden freddy, and may I add a privilege to be allowed to see it in all it's glory. The sort of garden that I find most attractive, with lots of foliage plants, and your Koi, certainly put mine to shame. May I ask what sort of filtration do you use? I see the water is beautifully clear, one of the problems I have, although to my defence, my ponds are in sunlight...

8. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What a lovely garden looking forward to seeing what u do in your new garden

9. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :) Lovely garden freddy!!...I would like to have Koi but I'm not keen to feed the Heron's such an expensive meal.
    Your arch is very inviting.....just how it ought to be:)

10. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks. Just to clear one thing up, this is the garden at my last house (we moved in December). SoK, the filtration was a Cloverleaf Genesis (4 bay filter), a fluid bed filter, but in terms of clear water, I had a decent U/V....30 watts. I guess in some ways I was fortunate, it was quite shaded there. I did however suffer quite a bit with algae, the threaded sort that grows from the side. For this I found that 'ecopure' was very efffective. It didn't get rid of it altogether, but DID keep it to manageable levels. Pal, again, I was lucky in some respects in that the garden (30ft x15ft) was surrounded on all sides, so not much chance for any Heron to land/take off. If anyone is interested, I've started a new thread in 'garden projects' Cheers...freddy.