My list of hobbies

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by accidentalgardener, Jul 28, 2007.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    What on earth do you mean...."even Terry Pratchett" ????? He's the best! :rolleyes: :D ;)

Have you read the latest, Making Money? Follow-up to Going Postal? Well worth it!

I think I've mentioned a few of the things I like to do, other than gardening, that is, but here you go again, in no particular order, just as they come to mind......

Walking, whatever the weather, with or without the dogs

Reading

Crochet, knitting, making macrame stuff

Playing the double bass and guitar (at different moments, of course ;) ) particularly Bluegrass

Listening to other people doing the above rather better :rolleyes:

Puzzles, particularly codewords and sudoku...

And a few other things, which I can't currently think of!

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Fandangling.

Nurdling.

Doing research into the Peking letter and statement of August 14th 1954, with particular reference to the attacks on the Soviet presidium.

Making models from waffle board.

And, in case you haven't guessed from the above, research into the recipe for the perfect martini cocktail. ;)

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What on earth do you mean...."even Terry Pratchett" ????? He's the best! :rolleyes: :D ;)

Have you read the latest, Making Money? Follow-up to Going Postal? Well worth it!
    </font>[/quote]Just going to start Making Money (Dan read this first while I had the witch book)just finished Wintersmith my goodness I just love the witch books and of course Death oh and the watch books too and what about Cut-me-own-throat, Nobbie Nobbs the list could go on....as a fan of Terry's books Dendrobium you can understand what I mean so many great characters I can't wait for new books to come out! [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

4. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hello all,
    my list is pretty boring compared to yours, but here it is:-

gardening of course, not really too good at this.

crosswords & teasers, not very good at these either.

tv. love old films with bette davies, joan crawford etc.

tryng to get the house sorted out - one room gets done while another suffers in the attempt.

reading. this is my passion. i always have at least one book on the go. i like mysteries. i have the complete works of 'sherlock holmes'. i like patricia cornwell & another like her that i can't remember the name of at the moment. i think she's an english writer but in the same genre as cornwell.
    i also like catherine cookson & the like, but i can't watch tv adaptations of cookson cos they just don't seem to get it right.
    have recently been reading the 'dalziel & pascoe' books. they are different to the tv series in that they are alot 'crueller' about dalziel.
    isn't it funny how tv can change the original of the books. i have a load of RD books that include the likes of Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll etc and i find them quite dark books.

am currently reading a ruth rendall book.

i like auto biographies too. i am abit out off by biographies, cos i find you can get the same celebrity with a totally different outlook. it's confusing.

i have read a terry pratchett book, one of the 'disc' series i think it was. anyway i think it was with the elephant holding up the world, that's right isn't it? i couldn't get into it i'm afraid. i think maybe i should have started at the first one & maybe then i would have 'got it' abit more.

so that's about it. hope i haven't bored you all too much.

cheers
    sandra

p.s. john, keep making me smile. you're so funny.

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I also like biographies.
    My last one was Christina Onassiss biography:"all the pain that money can buy" .
    I would love to read it again.

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Borrowers, do you mean PD James? I guess so! If you like that, have you tried Kathy Reichs? It's similar.....

Helofadigger - just love those books! Favourite - Soul Music, for certain, but the classic concept in the guards books about having to get the odds up to a million to one so that you can do something - that's a cracker! :D

7. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    yeah. dd, & listen to this.
    yes i have just been to my new local library. 2 mins. walk away. but can i say something not good?. it's small, not bigger than the last one we had in the area and just loads of computers.
    anyway, dd. i couldn't beleive what i just read from you it is a Reichs one, i have read them before but as you will know i can't remember the names,looked at the actual book now so now this is "Bare Bones". it says it it the 6th book of hers.
    sorry, i went into the other bedroom to look at the author of the book i was reading, and there was a wasp (or bee i don't know now) buzzing. so i thought i can't go to bed with it so let it out. well, that was 2 minutes of me trying to get it up with the book i'm trying to tell you about!.
    wasp gone, can i remmember the books author. yes because you have told me.
    i love pd james although i must say they are abit 'posh' for me. but that's what i love about reading books. you can learn things.

i have another thing to ask you all-
    do you have funny books?
    i have read a really funny book, little, just what i need. can i talk about it here or not?

cheers

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Borrowers - I know what you mean about libraries - most of them have fewer and fewer books, and more and more CDs, DVDs, etc. I think it's a great pity.

Posh - yes, and how about Morse!!!! All that listening to classical music :rolleyes: :D

I've just been re-reading the old Agatha Christies - reading a few pages and thinking "Oh, yes, that one!"

There's one little book that had me in stitches - "The complete Book of B******s" - if you see it, get it - a guaranteed laugh.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0671037676/ref=sr_1_olp_1/203-0388834-9479902?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193566239&sr=1-1

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hi dendrobium,
    yes like you i can re-read Agatha Christie time & time again.

morse went over my head sometimes, i'm ashamed to say.

i liked 'inspector linlay' though he';s post too. especially on TV. i thought the pairing of him & the 'common' detective was great.

thanks very much for the reference to 'the complete book of b******s'. i'm going to ask my library if they can get it for me next week. if not i'll try & get hubby to treat me.

the book i have been reading (it's great for in the loo, if you know what i mean) is called "never push when it says pull' by Guy Browning. it had me crying with laughter. my hubby said it was weird, knowing i was in the bathroom & then hearing me screaming with laughter!

cheers
    sandra

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    This is definitely another book to read in the smallest room - there will be tears in your eyes too! :D

Did you read the last Inspector Lynley and Havers book? So sad.......

This has turned intoa private chat, Borrowers! Anybody else want to join in? :cool:

11. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    sorry for delay
    no i haven't read the last one, what's it called?

doesn't look like anyone else is joining in does it? i only come on here at weekends really so that's my excuse. what's everyone elses?

i looked for the book you recommended at the library on their pc check list thing, but couldn't remember the author - can you remember?
    next week i'll ask them for it.

am currently reading ruth rendell. the small room book this time is the autobiography by boy george. not sure how i feel about it just yet :( i heard it was a laugh out loud book, but i haven't done that yet. still, early days.

anyway what are you reading at the moment?

cheers
    sandra

12. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

13. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    1- Astronomy
    2- Astonomy
    3- Astronomy
    4-Natural sciences
    5- Whatever I've got time for and fits in round Astronomy :D

14. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Cajary,

One of my main hobbies is the weather, did you know that contrary to what the head honcho's on these things says, global warming by their definition does not exist? It has actually cooled over the last century.

In fact up to date data states that we are actually supposedly entering another Ice Age in a 1000 years [​IMG]

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thats cleared it up Paula I wondered why the icecaps were melting.