My Tropical corner..

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by youngdaisydee, Apr 28, 2008.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great stuff Young Daisy be careful of overplanting some of your stuff will grow quite large,the compost bins will need spaces between the boards to allow air into the heap I see the boards slot in so put spacers between the boards as you build the heap up,it looks very neat and tidy well done.:thumb:

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Walnut, theres gaps at the sides, same as the old bins, i cant remember if the old tops had gaps!! The hub will remember, the last one,s lasted 12 year, made from pallets :cool:....Dee..

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Your border looks great already! LI love the 'lift' the acer has given the scheme, with the contrasting redish foliage.

Ditto what everyone's said re not planting too close. I had a fatsia japonica in a new bed about 7 years ago. it looked great when it was little, but grew HUGE (all that good home-made compost!)and completely took over. I replaced it with a contorted hazel (not exactly tropical, but definitely better suited for my bed!)

My parents have an acer like the one youhave there. it is about 20 years old, and is absolutely gorgeous - but it is now a tree! I keep it pruned for them around the bottom, and have planted aqualeiga and bulbs under, which look fantastic.

Keep us posted with how it's going! (Still loving those tulips!)

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Jarbox for your advice, I didn't know the acer grew into a tree, Wouldn,t that be great, im a bit worried about the fatsia, there,s loads of new leaves coming up, if it gets too big i'll dig the thug up, no worries, im gonna keep it "Medium" height by pruning it, some of the plants " fern,s hosta" are for underplanting, i need something tall behind the fatsia near the fence, maybe a Banana, more plant shopping to be done i think....Dee..

5. chengjing

chengjing Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hellooo chengjing, great to "see" you, I have just come in from putting the artichoke you sent me, into the garden, Wow coincodent <-----Spelling, or what!!!!!

7. susannah

susannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there! Just back online after a while away - and having a quick look through the lovely photos wow - your border looks absolutely gorgeous, colours are beautiful! And fab compost bins too - I am really into my composting at the mo (not literally but my husband gets fed up with me harping on about it all the time - wondered why he had another bin in mind!!)
    Will be really lovely to see how you are progressing with your border throughout the next few months

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks susannah, exciting times ahead, (im sad) welcome back to GC... I love my bins too. MAD. :)

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    In time the Cordy might take over. Does look very warm, by mid summer I'm sure it will be red hot.:thumb:

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    The Sun Shining through The Acer this morning..MAGIC..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Love the Fatsia Dee. Makes mine look like a dandelion. Let it go a while. You can always trim it back later.

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I will John. It,s looked a bit sad after transplanting, but today its picking up. Thanks :thumb: I must say im missing the heart and clap smiley......[​IMG]

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hay peeps im back, and here,s an update on my tropical corner.....

[​IMG]

Looking Lush :)

[​IMG]

Ive added some more plants, including this fab calla Lily, A hot Looking morning Glory and some Orchid Busy Lizzies....

And next doors dog Lusting after Cassie. :D

[​IMG]

14. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    Hey, Cutie, that's looking fab and colourful .... :thumb:

Love the neighbours dog .. is that a white Scottie ???

15. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi LoL, Great to be back, I missed you all, seems longer than 3 weeks.. Yeah its a Scottie, Macenzie, he,s still a pup, but still trying to get to Cassie, She,s not interested because she,s been spayed :)