1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nest box activity

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by strongylodon, Jan 31, 2018.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    @martin-f :awesome:. Let's hope your Wrens and Robins think so too. I do have one of the open fronted boxes, currently still in shed. I have been cautious about putting it up as I was concerned about safety. There was, as recently mentioned, a cat coming through the garden on a daily basis. There are also a couple of other cats who come through fairly regularly - Dimitris is working on that :snorky:. Although one seems to only come at night ( seen on camera ) and he is fast asleep in bed with us then, so that might be a little tricky. Just wondered if a low sited box might attract attention. Last year the Robins built their nest in an area of dense brambles and I don't think the cats could have gotten into. Or the Magpies. They were feeding two fledglings but I don't know if they originally had more chicks.

• Like Like x 2
    • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      Many thanks, ive put mine in a position that would be hard for a cat to get too but not impossible, i had to move shrubs with my hand to take pictures they are quite concealed,

Its very rare i see a cat in the garden but occasionally i get the odd one, it was fence walking that was my latest issue with them,

All we can do is do our best birds will be aware of the cats and try and nest out of the way.

• luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      Although we may have a strong desire to help, sometimes the birds know best.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Watching a couple of male Sparrows this morning who have been checking out the same nest boxes as the Bluetits. I'm keen to find out who ends in which box :)

• Like Like x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Bluetit activity around the nest box this morning :wub2: it is a returning visit so :fingers crossed: Had bluetits in there the first year it was up; last year, it was bees! Really hoping it will be the turn of the bluetits this year again.

• Like Like x 3