1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nettles: removal and disposal options

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AlexP, Mar 25, 2017.

1. AlexP

AlexP Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    hi all, I have a large patch of nettles in an old composting section of my garden (at least 15x15m). Needless to say the rich soil has proved a paradise for the nettles. Given it's a composting site I really want to avoid hardcore chemicals.

I have a gardener/maintenance chap who has suggested if we don't want to go down the chemical route then he'd propose to scrape them out with a digger, dig a big hole and burry them a good meter or so below the surface.

Or is manually digging them out one by one the only option?

Regularly mowing the area down is another idea but I don't know if this actually kills them off or if they go into some kind of plant hibernation?

thanks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi AlexP,

What are planning on doing with the area?

Nettles are brilliant for butterflies, it's where they lay there eggs. You can also submerge nettles in water for a few weeks and use the liquid as a feed. You may want to keep small patch if possible.

Rusty

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      Nettle soup, great plant food!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,950
        And cut the tops and put onto compost bin, but not the roots

• Agree Agree x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Personally I reckon mowing is the only way to go.

You could spray it with roundup which breaks down to starch when it comes into contact with soil, thus not poisoning the ground, but if it is ground that you can mow, I'd just mow it.

If you spray it, sure you'll kill it off, but then you'll still have to mow it to clear it afterwards. Also unless you use a nasty residual weed killer, it'll just come back because there'll be literally millions of seeds on the ground.

So I think just regular mowing. Eventually the nettles will weaken and the grass will dominate.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
            +599
            Great advice from@clueless1 :dbgrtmb:

If you're going down the dig-out route, expect an ongoing challenge. The yellow roots/rhizomes are incredibly challenging to remove as they become very fine the further they spread outwards or downwards, so inevitably break no matter how hard you try to remove them, therefore tiny fragments left behind will regerate clones of the parent plants. Keep digging them up whenever they re-appear.

If you don't want a lingering herbicide, mowing regularly to deprive them of photosyntheis will kill them off eventually. I've never seen a lawn with nettles in unless it's next to a bank of nettles or has been seriously neglected.

Another alternative is to cover the ground with a thick membrane, dark plastic sheeting - or even a thick layer of newspapers, weighed down with gravel or bark chippings. But this will take a long time to kill them completely..... and takes a lot of patience :frown:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
              Ratings:
              +3,035
              There is, or rather was, a big clump of nettles in the neglected "garden" next door, I sprayed them with SBK scrub and brushwood killer and it seems to have done the job.
              Any young ones I find in my own garden (they have probably arrived from next door!) I just pull up.

• Like Like x 1
              • AlexP

AlexP Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +2
                ok thanks all, so eventually the roots will breakdown and not reappear if you inhibit growth through mowing?

@clueless1 the seeds - surely they all spout up in their first year? just thinking of living through one year's worth of pain and then it'll all be sorted?

@rustyroots this part of the garden (more grounds tbh as is so big) is for composting/disposal of garden waste. Don't worry we've plenty of nettles elsewhere so don't won't effect wildlife much

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                +19,596
                I wouldn't think of it as pain. If it's going to be lawn, you'll be mowing it regularly anyway presumably.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,505
                If the area is for composting of waste (which you say it is although that's a rather large area) then I can't see the need for mowing etc. except to remove the current top growth. you can then use a non-residual weedkiller, give it a bit of time to act (time dependent on what you use) Just cover the whole area with a heavy duty plastic and put your compostable waste on top.

Any roots that survive (and there will be some) will eventually produce shoots outside the covered area. You can just dig those out as they appear.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                Of late, I've been turning more and more against the use of any form of weedkillers, mainly because I dont believe that available information is not tainted by the desire of big companies to make obscene profits.

So why not simply burn the...err...little tinkers out with a propane blowtorch? Cheap, effective and fun... (cue evil laugh!) :snork::snork::snork: