1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Fat Controller, Sep 2, 2018.

1. BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,765
    Make and model of heater/stat....did you adjust this from factory setting
    I always use
    Visi-Therm
    never any hassle with these units...I once bought a load of cheapo heaters and it was a false economy...over the years I found that the above was the best on the market, factory set in water and with a long gaurantee period, they stand me in good sted

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,577
      Hidom 300w, and not initially as it was set to 24º

I then turned it down as I was getting concerned about the heat, and there was no change. Yesterday, last night and all of today it has been completely unplugged which infers to me that it isn't a problem with the heater......... well, it surely can't be as it isn't plugged in. The lights are LED, and whilst there is a bit of warmth to them, it is not a lot - I can happily hold my hand on one and barely feel the heat. I am at a loss as to where the heat is coming from, and why the tank doesn't seem to be cooling down despite not being heated at all.

• BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,765
      It wont be the LEDs...Cant see it being the Filter either....and to be brutally honest its a crap heater stat...seriously...if nothing else do yourself a favour buy one of the above probably about £20 odd for a 300w....(not 9.99) it is a lot more sensitive and easily adjusted...That is MHO for what its worth.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,577
        I will change the heater, when I have some cash, but right now that is a no. I do have an Inkbird unit which has a really accurate probe on it and that will switch the mains on and off appropriately - it will also cut off above the set parameters and even alarm if things get silly either way, so it is my fall back.

I also have a Killawatt type unit which I can set to tell me when there is more than a certain current draw - so that would tell me what is switching on and off.

I just don't get how the tank can hold that sort of temperature in a room that isn't heated yet (not that it is cold), it doesn't really get direct sunlight (maybe a wee bit in the evening if we don't close the curtains, but that is for minutes only), and without heat of any kind for well over 24hrs.

I have verified the temp with three separate thermometers to confirm, and in fairness even when the heater was plugged in, I hadn't seen it on.

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Hi FC,

Do you have the inkbird set up and connected to the heating element, thats the best way to control the heater / temp.

How long are you keeping the lights on for, though using leds, with an enclosed lid you are not going to get a lot of heat loss though the top.
          Any way you can open the lid slightly to increase ventilation ?
          Some of those far east tanks have provision for a fan in the hood to do just that, any space in yours?

You have constant heating of about 20 - 30W from the pumps.

You need to use your Watt meter on the canister filter and the internal pump, and check how much each are using, as nearly all their heat goes into the water; however if there is a fault they could be running higher and so generating more heat.

Also measure the rooms ambient temp, probably well over 21c, so little cooling effect on the glass.

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,577
            Hi @ricky101

The Inkbird is not yet set up, but that is one of my next moves, as it is remarkably accurate in its control.

The lights have been on for around 8 hours a day - outside those hours it is ambient light and darkness. There is no provision for cooling fan in the hood that I can see - - - however, it is not beyond my wit (once I am physically fit to do so) that I could knock a hole in the lid and rig up some sort of fan.

Canister filter is a 35w fellow, with a 9w UV light - the top of it does feel a wee bit warm to the touch, but I seriously doubt that it is sufficient to keep 300+ litres of water that warm? I will get the meter on it, and then other tank attachments and see if any of them are consuming excessively.

I have had the lid open, and it dropped things by about half of a degree, but I am reluctant to leave it up overnight in case I have any that are a bit too enthusiastic with their jumping.

As for the room's ambient temperature, yes that is an issue - firstly because we have a lot of insulation so the house holds its heat, and secondly because I do have to close doors and windows as sitting in a breeze or draught causes me a remarkable amount of pain. Having said that, the ambient temperature is starting to drop, which may help a bit.

• Like Like x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              300litres of water, that's about a quarter of a ton, isn't it? Hope you have a good strong stand.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,203
                Hi FC,

Thought you had the 1000 EF canister, seems its the 1400 EF , so that means your heat output is approx -
                35w canister, 9w UV, 15w int pump, 10w led = 69W

Thats quiet a bit of heat, albeit not all will be going into the water.

Can you turn the UV off and perhaps open the cabinet door so the room air can circulate around the canister and take some of the heat away ?

With open top tanks its easy to place a fan to blow over the surface to cool things down, but with your lid that a bit more difficult.

Perhaps worth trying a small fan , even a dc pc type, to blow over the canister filter, with the door open, might just help keep things under control; think your Inkbird has a cooling function you could use to control a mains fan ?

• Like Like x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,577
                  I will take a look shortly to see if I can turn the UV off for now, and the cupboard door is open; I also have the tank lid open at the moment, and the ambient room temperature has dropped a bit overnight.

Sadly, I don't have any sort of fan available, be it mains or DC and I am not currently in a position to be buying anything like that -- budget has now gone for this, so I am going to have to cope with what I have to hand, The Inkbird can activate cooling, but of course only if there is cooling available to switch on.

Fish seem happy - all very quiet and still half asleep this morning, and we left it until around 1130 to put the lights on, after which they all woke up and are bombing around the tank having fun. The Gouramis seem to really love the air stones, and keep swimming low into the bubble stream and then sailing up in the bubbles, and going round for another shot.

Oh, and I think we have another pregnant Gourami....

EDIT - that should have read another pregnant Guppy!!

• Like Like x 2
                    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,577
                    Sorry Mike, I don't know how I missed your post - the tank has its own specific stand, which seemed to be pretty heavy going by the grunts from the guys lifting it in through our back door.

Tank temp is slowly dropping - down to 26º today, so I will leave it another day or two, monitoring closely, and then plug the heater back in. My Killawatt meter is dead, so I will need to get my tools out at some point and see what has gone wrong (probably an electrolytic failed), so I may still have to dig out the Inkbird

• Like Like x 3
                    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                      Ratings:
                      +6,097
                      No problem my friend.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,203
                        Hi BigC,

Do not know which brand of Test Strips FC uses , he said they cost £20 ?

Am looking to get some testers for DK, N03 and PH. ( had a bit of a delayed start to the new tank)

Seems Tetra , JBL and API all do very similar 6 in1 test strips which some say are better than of old ?

Any recommendations for liquid test kits instead ? ( at a reasonable price point, not Hatch :smile:)

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
                        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,203

Hi FC,

All gone quiet on the tank front, hope you are now being able to enjoy the calm of the aquascape now the evenings are pulling in?

Been able to sort out your over heating problem ?

Came across this little chart which seems to give a good explanation of the main water parameters.

001130.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                            Ratings:
                            +12,508
                            If I remember correctly, I used to use Tetra tests. Here’s their PH test kit...

Tetra Test pH Fresh Water to Measure The Aquarium and Pond Ph Value Reliably and Precisely, 10 ml: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

• Like Like x 3
                            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                              Ratings:
                              +49,577
                              Everything is looking pretty peachy - had some problems with the guppy grass getting itself sort of stuck to the filter intake, so we had to have the lid off the other day and shuffle a few bits about. We cleaned the external filter on the same day (filthy), which also meant we changed some of the water - we will do more of a water change this weekend.

No losses of fish so far, and all the tests are quite stable - the pH has dropped a bit to 6.8, and the temperature is down to 25º - that was purely a combination of room warmth, the lights and the lid - we now leave the lid open all the time when we are in the room.

We also have babies - five tiny wee guppy babies, and so far they are surviving quite well. I have a pic of a couple which I will post back later :)

• Like Like x 5