1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Fat Controller, Sep 2, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,198
    Hi FC & all,

Had a couple of tank surprises this week, first was seeing a strange white creature nestling in the crown of a plant, managed to get a pic, though just of its tail, which unlike the pic, it does have three segments not two, so that helped identify it as a DamselFly nymph.

Was a bit concerned as I did get some Dwarf Corys that @BigC suggested and they are not much bigger that the Nymph so decided to get it out and luckily manage to catch it with a siphon tube, plus they say the nymphs can get bigger and live for up to 2 years in the water.

Then this morning before lights on, thought I noticed something on the inlet pipe and closer inspection found it was a hatched Damselfly !
    Managed to net it a take a very quick pic before taking it outside, though wonder if I was better to mercy it with it being so cold today ?

Looking on the web, seems it not uncommon to get them in the plants, though I never noticed anything so big, and doubt they could go from eggs to flying in 6 weeks... ?

Wonder what else is in there !! :yikes: Anything strange in your tank ...? :snorky:

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,427
      Well, I never would have expected that! Nothing strange in mine, well............ the plecs are wee characters, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them strange :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,427
        OK, bit of an update - cooling is still an issue. I have no idea why, but this tank seems to be particularly good at retaining heat; as far as I can ascertain, the heater has never actually clicked on despite being plugged in.

Currently, temperature is sitting around 25º but given the time of year, that concerns me for the summer when things get really warm.

So, with that and gas exchange in mind, I have started looking at the lid for the potential to cool things down. In the middle of the lid, there is an extruded box like section - a square tube if you will. One light tube sits on one side of the box, the other sits on the other - - within the tube currently is a small amount of wiring for the lights, and that is about it. This tube is almost 2" wide (4.5cm roughly) - - so, I was thinking about putting in DC fans in the upper part of the tube, maybe four 12v fans, and then drill holes in the lower part of the box to draw air into the box and expel it upwards.

Whilst at it, I am considering two other things - the first being to add another switch to allow the front or back light tube to be operated independently of each other; or, maybe consider putting in different lights (low voltage, dimmable?)

I don't have a lot to spend on this, but thought it would be a good project for me to faff with.

• Like Like x 1
        • Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +250
          @ricky101 Have you been told to rinse all incoming plants in salt water then clear water, especially in the nooks and crannys before you put them in the aquarium. Just takes a second. That would cut down on these problems.

• Like Like x 2
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,198
            Hi @Fat Controller

12v 120mm cooling fans are what I have used on my old marine tank and will be using on the planted tank, but you will also need regular water top ups as the evaporation can be quiet large.

I used the micro in my controller to provide a 3 stage PWM output so it only runs the fans as fast as necessary, plus the lower speed means quieter.

As you say you doubt the heater has come on at all, I would add up the wattage of all the pumps that you have running in the tank; it may be that all the heat from them is keeping it warm eg 60 -100 watts.

The covered tank lid with tubes is also another large heat source, can you ventilate it better, even a small 12v 50mm fan will improve things.
            However think the best option would be to remove the lid and have it as an open top tank using some cooler led lighting, you can pay a fortune for the high powered fancy ones, but for a lightly planted tank, only some basic leds are really needed and lower lighting mean less nasty algae.

Quiet a few diy led lighting projects around, some very advanced but some still simple, some even use pendant lamps, worth scouring the planted tank forums for ideas.

• Like Like x 2
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,198
              Hi @Barb in Pa,

Had a total of four damsel flies hatch out, thankfully nothing more since !

Have plenty of little pond snails, though seems its best to keep them as they do not eat the plants, just the algae off their leaves and will self regulate their population..

Yes, should have thought of doing something like that when I first started, will try your salt suggestion if I buy any more plants, the tanks quiet full as everything has been growing well, adds a really nice touch of colour and movement during these dim and dark days.

• Like Like x 2
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,198
                Hi again @Fat Controller,

Just been looking back at the old posts, forgot you have tubed LEDs, not fluorescents as I mentioned , though it seems you have up to 69w of electrical power going in or around the tank.

If it was me, as an experiment I would remove the lid and let the powerhead pump just flow 100% around the tanks surface and fit the led tubes to some brackets say 6 " inches above the tank, so it can release as much heat as possible and also make it easy to direct some fans onto the waters surface.

Also what about the canister filter with its larger 35w pump and 9w UV, assume its in the cabintes cupboard, its there a good air flow /ventilation around it or is it almost sealed so meaning most of the heat is take up by the water ?

My little 55ltr tank is just 6" away from the ch radiator in a warmish room, but have not seen the temp go up by more than 0.2c from the set 23.0c.

Have to say its the first open top tank I have ever had, but find it does add a new dimension to the tank, more a sense of being part of it.

Finally got my new diy controller set up with its touch screen, which I find is really handy.
                ( ignore the invalid testing min / max temps shown)

IMG_0971 (1).JPG

• Like Like x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,427
                  Hi @ricky101 - I can't take the lid off, as one of the filters is integral to it. Currently, heat isn't an issue - it stays quite stable with no heater intervention, and us using the opening part of the lid to release heat and allow air in. There is already good airflow around the canister filter, although during summer I might leave the cupboard door open to encourage even more. I am thinking toward summer when things warm up, hence the fan idea - this entire square tube has nothing in it at all, hence I was thinking around four fans. I could temp control them via my Inkbird unit, plus at the same time, split the lights off to two separate switches, as there are times when thte current lights are too much.

By putting the fans in the upper part of the tube, and then drilling holes in the bottom part of the tube, I am thinking that should allow air to flow whilst the bottom of the tube and the tube itself would act as a barrier to any stray water droplets?

I will post an end-on view of the dismantled lid so you can see what I am on about - try and do it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,198
                    Hi @Fat Controller,

Well perhaps others might give an opinion as to how much filtration the hood unit offers over the canister and tank contents; they say the plants and gravel are home to the majority of the bacteria, so removing the hood might not be too much of a problem if so needed, but thats really what you prefer for your situation.

How are your plants doing, remember you saying quiet a few had faded away ?

Have looked at those Boyu 16W led tubes on the web and given you only have two, seem surprised you saying its too bright as my 18W unit on my 15" cube tank does not seem overly bright ?

Could find no info if the actual tubes are mains powered or DC powered, though if mains you could try a light dimmer and see if you can reduce the intensity that way... ?

Mine are DC powered from a wall pack, so its easy to use use the controller to vary the brightness and even add sunrise /set fading.

Out of interest, have you got a thermometer in that room and monitored the temp over the day to see how high it actually gets , perhaps in summer when the heatings off the room might actually be cooler ?

If you use the Inkbird it will be to control mains fans unless you use an output relay to switch on a supply for 12v supply fans ? just that mains fans are usually quiet a lot noisier as I'm sure you know.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,427
                      I live in the house of many supplies, so one will be cannibalised to allow the Inkbird to click the fans on and off. I am looking at 30mm DC fans (12v, two wire) - about £3 each currently, so not overly expensive. What I need to research further is Kaptan tape and switches.

The LEDs are mains fed, but as they will be capacitively dropped, they won't take a dimming without putting on a strobe show - - if I could come up with a more compact or elegant solution, I would, but that would involve money that I don't have at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
                      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,198
                        Hi,

I got some little fans, a bank of 3 x 25mm or 30mm , used for cooling HDDs etc, they were the noisiest little things for their size, so do choose and try one of them first, some sellers do list a db figure as a guideline.

Kaptan tape and switches ??

• Like Like x 2
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,427
                          Yeah, I want brushless and those with a decent airflow - I will go the Amazon route, making returning them easy.

The Kaptan tape is to wrap a PSU to contain within the cooling tube (the airflow will also sufficiently cool the PSU) and the switches are to allow me to independently switch each light tube unless I go for a more elegant solution.

Annoyingly, I have a couple of growlights that are not used in the greenhouse that I could potentially modify to add some healthy light for the plants, but the red doesn't get into the water so I would be wasting my time. The plants are OK, sort of....... they are often abused by the fish and the snails, but hey that is what my tank is all about - a right mixture of happy fish and not a showpiece.

• Like Like x 1
                          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +4,198
                            Hi @Fat Controller ,

Its a good year now since you started this Aquarium thread and was interested to know how its been going on as I know a lot of your time this year has been spent on the new outside apartment ! :)

Mines been growing away ok, probably too many plants in it atm, but the fish seem happy enough and its still enjoyable and relaxing to sit back with a cuppa watching their little water world.

000076.jpg

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,427
                            Oooh, that looks just dandy @ricky101! I wish my plants looked as good, but my fish seem intent on munching at them.

On the whole, it is going quite well - we've had the odd loss, but not all that many, and I think the occasional one is par for the course really. The fish are cheeky as hell, and not in the least bit timid - they will happily try and nibble at me when I am cleaning, and will often times come to the corner of the tank and look at me as if to say 'you gonna feed me then?' :heehee:

Here is the most recent photo of mine, taken just a couple of weeks ago. 20190928_191321.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +4,198
                              Hi @Fat Controller ,

That looks just dandy, really like those very fancy Angelfish ! :biggrin:

Glad it all worked out after all those initial trials and tribulations. :)

• Like Like x 1