New bed - help selecting plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, May 22, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It would affect ( now I don't remember the water cycle from school exactly so forgive any errors), transpiration etc, but if it is only a smattering that would land on them then they will have plenty of other leaves on them to do their job I imagine.

As far as saving money, the best thing I could say is that propagation is perhaps the best thing to learn about, especially the different methods of taking cuttings, as this could save you a small fortune. As this is I imagine a large garden-lime trees etc, it might be the only way to go.

Also have you had a look at the seed parcel and seed swap threads? Could save you a fortune.

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/pass-parcel-seed-17317.html?goto=newpost

2. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Well - I've bought some foxgloves, a lupin and some montbretia.

I'm going to move my bleeding heart tomorrow, which has just come into flower again so I feel a bit bad, but I've just soaked it and will move as much earth as possible with it.

My dad has given me some more tobacco plants and some dahlias which he's grown from seed, and he reckons as long as I water every evening they will be fine there. I may put some in the bed, what do you think??

I asked at the garden centre about climbing nasturtiums and they say it's a bit early for them, is that right, or are they just covering themselves 'cos they don't have any? Which are the bast ones to buy?

I'm very excited because we're going to make the bad tomorrow.. yay! Let's hope it doesn't rain!

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Nasturtiums will grow ANYWHERE and once you have them, they self seed and they'll reappear next year. But I'd grow some from seed - dead easy to do. Just decide where you want to grow them and shove the seeds in. They do well in poor soil just as well as in good soil, so you'll be fine and save yourself money. Beware though, they spread out and scramble through other plants, but as they're only an annual, you can pull them out in autumn and no harm done.

I'd go for a variety called "Whirlybird", big blooms and upgright flowers and if I remember good climbers, but check out your local GC for seeds and see what ones you like. For the price of a packet of seeds, you'll save loads of money and get loads of plants.

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Sussexgardener - thank you!! I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Why do I feel quite sad browsing gardening forums on a saturday night! It's worse that I'm so excited about it!

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Better than going out on the lash on a Saturday night and not being able to get up bright and early to appreciate the garden, in my opinion!

6. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
  7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

I planted the bed up this morning, after fertilizing the ground with multipurpose fertilizer and adding two bags of John Innes multipurpose catalogue.

I have three fog gloves, a lupin, a purple hardy geranium, and a pink one I moved from somewhere else in the garden, some ladies mantle I pinched from another bed, and some dahlias my dad has grown from seed. I also moved my dicentra which was really hating it's other position.

Please see http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/help-look-found-21769.html?p=334945#post334945 also!

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It sounds delightful, and I think you have made some beautiful choices. I particularly like Alchemilla-ladys mantle ( I think that's it Latin name-not great with those).

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Alchemilla Mollis. Great plant, looks wonderful after the rain or with dew on it, lovely flowers and self seeds everywhere. Ideal in any garden, any location, any soil, any light!