New Bird Of Paradise....

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Coolsox, Mar 17, 2013.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have done that in the past - and managed to rescue some seeds, of which some later germinated in a bag. But looking at my Lobelia tupa I suspect that the seeds in the pot that didn't germinate have now had it. If they were still live - some would have germinated by now.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Dry them out and then rewater using a dripping tap. Place in a placcy bag on a warmish and bright w/sill. You'll be surprised.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Hadn't thought of that, but I'll give it a try. (I was meaning that for some varieties I may still have some seeds left in the packets)

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Kristen - have your Ravenala seeds germinated? I sowed 40 on March 30th in a sealed container. So far 12 have germinated - 7 yesterday and 2 more today. I am really pleased with your suggestion of using damp moss. I am using a little compost + perlite with damp moss on top. And the moss always feels good - open and moist, but not soggy as compost can be.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I've got half a dozen germinated :)

Glad it is working for you, like your idea of combination compost/moss ...

How do you get on for checking germination? or are you letting them just grow up through the moss (and root into the compost/perlite)?

Yes, agreed. Mine are just in a zip.lock bag with a generous handful of sphagnum moss, but every time I tip it out to inspect I am pleasantly surprised how "fresh" the moss looks, feels and smells :)

• Like Like x 1
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        So pleased yours are doing well. Another 4 germinated today.

As I said I have been using a thin layer of compost/perlite mixture with the seeds on top and the moss on top of that. I stir through the compost and remove any seeds with a tiny bit of radicle showing. I then put these in an ordinary pot of compost.
        However the seeds are black and sometimes get covered with compost, so its not always easy to spot the ones that have germinated - especially as the white bits of Perlite look like emerging radicles.

I have some other large seeds in a closed container with no compost but just moss on top. When I lift the moss I can see all the seeds on the bottom of the container. I am tempted to think that thats a slightly better system, as I can instantly see all the seeds. As I am removing them as soon as they germinate they don't need compost.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        With the sphagnum moss & Zip-lock bag there are plenty of bits of moss shoots that look just like bits of broken off radicle - such that I was horrified the first time I tipped the bag out that I had just destroyed the lot!! but the seeds / radicles of these big seeds are tougher (and bigger) than that of course.

It bothers me that seeds that fall to the bottom of my bags are "not properly in contact with the moss" - do you think that matters? From your description it sounds like most of your seeds are sitting on the bottom of the container, whereas only a few of mine, in bags, are.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        Kristen - it was only in one container that the seeds were sitting on the bottom. But today I had some more Ravenala germinate so I combined the two Ravenala containers into one and removed the compost - now the seeds rest on the bottom.

I don't think it matters too much if the seeds don't touch the moss. What seeds want is warmth and moisture, and moss is only a means of regulating the moisture. In my case I have two lots of seed in small food containers. All the seeds are now on the bottom with the moss pressing down on them, when the lid is shut. To inspect, I just open the lid and lift the moss out as a single wad and can see them all.

• Like Like x 1
        • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,386
          I noticed today a lot of new leaf growth :dancy:ive not had anymore flowers since march so im pleased it showing signs of new growth:)
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            that`s mine ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              @PeterS How are your Ravenala getting on?

Mine have been in the house a few weeks and the leaves look cripsy and very unhappy.

I don't know if they got a touch of cold in the greenhouse before coming in (I think we've only had one night that was minus C, and there is a heater in the greenhouse - maybe I was being too miserly)

Or maybe they hate the spare bedroom / lack of light ... or the fact that I haven't sprayed them once, and on a couple of occasions they, and all the other plants in the spare bedroom, were bone dry = what sort of parent am I?!!

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,015
              Hi Kristen

My Ravenala are still small - most only have 2 leaves and a couple have three. But they all look happy. They have never been outside - since germination they have sat on the windowsills in a couple of rooms. I have no idea how to water them, ie whether they should be kept on the dry side over winter or not.

I have just had a quick Google on Ravenala care. One site gave a lot of detail that sounded very good, until I looked at the propogation section and it said -"sow seeds or cut off a small piece, remove the lower leaves and insert into compost". The page was clearly general growing advice and they just stuck the name Ravenala at the top. It was nothing to do with Ravenala. :eeew:

Another site http://www.rareplants.de/shop/prodtype.asp?CAT_ID=821 which is probably much more reliable says a minimum of 15C over winter. But there again I have been looking at minimum temperatures of a number of plants, with a view to keeping them in my garden room, and the figures vary enormously. I have seen figures such as a minimum of 10C over winter for plants that I have kept quite happily at frost free.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              This from a thread on HTUK:

"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of 19c, be kept moist and as much light as possible."

Others saying that left out until a single chilly night in Autumn did for them, even though brought in immediately after.

Not looking good, I would say :(