NEW CAMERA AND A STEEP LEARNING CURVE

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    can Afford your old Camera?? :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,702
      Nice piece of kit Ammandii, I'm sure as an ex slr user you will be up and running in no time at all. But do not discard shots unless they are awful as you will find as your editing knowledge increases so will your ability to correct things such as colour shifts etc.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is not as you say "poodlepoop", used correctly and for the purpose it was intended it is another invaluable tool for the digital darkroom processor. However I can probably agree to a point and say that 99% of HDR processed photographs that you can view online are most certainly rubbish (IMO) but to those people who created them they are artwork. I does require knowledge of post processing skills and how they affect different parts of a given photograph, also HDR processing is only effective on a small proportion of photos captured by the 'tog.

As a bit of fun, can you guess which of the following three shots are HDR?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be interesting to see what people think..

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,507
        HI Steve I will put my Owl like on the block and say No3 (BUTTERMERE) based solely on the cloud density :) but it will be very interesting to know the correct image:)

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +32,854
        I say the 2nd one, the boat house :dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Hi Nick, thanks for your remarks, Mate.:thumbsup::snork: I'm only able to post pics in what they call Jpeg format,[where the camera processes the pic to make it sharp and punchy in colour], with the new camera as I haven't yet got the software I need to shoot in RAW format which see's the scene as it actually is and you can brighten it etc with the software. But, knowing that you like stone work and architecture here's a couple of shots for you that I took when visiting the Estate Village of Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. The village is called Edensor [pronounced Enzor!] and has some lovely stonework that would tempt you to bring a truck and drive off with some of it. I'll be posting other pics of it in another thread later. Regarding cameras, Nick, it doesn't matter how "fancy" the camera is because in the end it all comes down to the guy taking the shot............which leaves me up the Creek without a paddle!!:snork:

Taken with a 18-55mm lens
        [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi Steve, thanks for your kind encouragement and advice. You're right about not throwing pics out too quickly, although I do get tempted. I do have a hard time trying to decide which similar scene looks the better, which needs cropping, etc in editing but I'm looking forward to learning more. I've also noticed that I've lost the skill, temporarily, of seeing what is the best composition, angle and approach to a shot that you can acquire with a DSLR. I'll get it back after practice and at least I'm aware of the fact that I need to think as well as shoot. Being a Gardener and an Angler my interest will be general Nature, macro, and landscape shots. Those pics you posted are of such a high standard that I'm envious:snork: I agree with you about HDR it does have a place in a photographers armoury and as you say used "correctly" can be brilliant, and also like you said there are some "rubbish" HDR processed photo's. I've just sent off for a set of extension rings and reversing rings to help me out on the macro side so they should arrive soon.

Everybody's comments are really appreciated and if anyone wants to pass on advice and their experience then they are more than welcome.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        Even RAW shots will need to be converted to jpeg to be viewable on the web. Whilst you do not yet possess the software to do this your relying on the camera to do the coversion for you, therefore allowing it to make the decisions on how it does it. ALL cameras take their photograph in RAW format, but the majority then save it as a jpeg in camera and do not allow the 'tog the chance to view or use the RAW format file before it converts to jpeg for you.

When you consider a 10 megapixel camera can produce a 10mb photo in RAW format, and in jpeg mode it will be around 3-4mb....thats 7mb of information the camera is discarding before you get a chance to even see it!!

My camera has a setting that allows me to take a photo and it will save it in two formats automatically...both RAW and Jpeg at the same time, this allows me to come home and quickly show whoever is interested the jpegs from the days shooting, then later on when I have more time I can go back and edit the RAW version of the jpeg already viewed...for that optimum quality shot. In this scenario RAW and Jpeg are like Prints and Proofs, if that makes sense. Have a look to see if your camera will do the same because you could do the same thing then later when you have the software you will have the RAW files to go back to...like storing negatives. I could amble on for hours but this is probably enough for now...:D

Oh...and thanks for your kind words about my photo's!

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,507
        Good morning Armandll ,I also shoot in JPEG/RAW and process the RAW at a later date,I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 for processing,as the RAW files are larger than the JPEG files,it decrease's the amount of total images that you can take,as I found out to my cost when I initially started taking in the RAW format,I also see that the K5 has a great feature which is the RAW/FX button, to enable you to easily switch between file formats :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,334
          Armandii
          Your K5 CD should have processing software prog on it Silky pix

You can use that whilst you are deciding on which lightroom to use

Jack McH

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          You're right, Woo, the K5 does have the feature to swap between file formats and, like Kristen's camera, shoot simultaneously both Jpeg and RAW. As I said the more advice and information I get from everyone the better, and I'm not afraid to ask.:heehee:
          One of the reasons I do want to shoot in RAW is because as you said, Kristen, so much in Jpeg gets lost in the process to the finished image. Being able to use and understand the software I'll be using is just another challenge I'm looking forward to. I've been looking at the various items of software that I can use and I think Lightroom 4 will be about right for my needs. I've been looking at a lot of the photographic sites on the Net and the standard of just amateur photographers is just stunning, and it's not just because they have top notch cameras.
          I understand the science of digital photography well enough, it's the application of it that I have to understand and hopefully achieve at a reasonable standard. So the more pics I take and the more advice I get the better!!!

Oh, and those were not kind words about your photo's, Kristen.....they were the truth.:snork:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Hi Jack, always good to hear from you. Yes, you're right I can use Silky pix for processing in the camera, and I know a lot of Professional people actually do. I think it's just a case of early days and getting my head around one thing at a time!!:scratch::heehee:

• Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
          Ratings:
          +489
          Picasa (Googles version of Flickr) will let you save and convert most camera manufactures Raw files. It keeps a copy of the original file too....cool. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Translator/Teacher
            Ratings:
            +1,081
            Happy New Camera, ARMANDII!!! :dbgrtmb:

What I did with the manual of my camera a year and a half ago was as follows:

- Study the device and its controls.
            - Read about safety, maintenance and battery replacement/charge.
            - Read the Contents and see what's in the manual.

Take the camera and start reading AND ENACTING all chapters... one by one. So you get to know and remember a bit about the settings, manual and automated modes, video/sound recording and editing, panoramic (stitched) shots, etc.

It has its own software, which I use to make the photos a bit more vivid.

I'll gladly enjoy your photography! :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,702
              All three are HDR! Digital cameras "struggle" sometimes to capture certain scenes which may be both dark and light and it can either blow highlights or lose the details in the shadows, bracketing your shots by a stop can capture all this info and later HDR processing can help retain what the 'tog would have lost by shooting normally.

• Like Like x 1