NEW CAMERA - OLD LENSES

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Good for you, Scrungee. That should be a great help. I don't understand why they charge such a high price for adapters though......but it's a good move.:snork:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    It's to punish you for not having to buy their expensive new lenses. (I've also read that cheapo adaptors from Hong Kong costing £100 less can be a bit wobbly)

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I'm not sure if that's just rumours put out by the Brands to put people off buying anything else other than their brands.:dunno: You do have to do a bit of research [some of the Brand of Camera you have Forums] to find out if there is a cheaper reliable alternate to the expensive brand accessories [which are probably made by a Third Party manufacturer for the Brands}. I've bought several lens mount converters made by Third Party makers and not had any trouble.

4. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Having read of occasional (minor) problems with 3rd party adaptors and spending around £1,000 on new gear I just didn't want to risk it.

My new Olympus OMD EM5 camera arrived today and I've had a play with it today, using the supplied 12-50 lens and my old OM Zuiko 85-250mm f4 which converts to a 170-500mm telephoto! and was easy to use (but need to check out how to manually set the image stabilisation for different focal length old manual lenses). Will dust/clean some other of my old lenses tomorrow, but might ditch the 50mm F1.8 (as have a F1.4) complete with all my old OM1 bodies at Oxfam.

I'm wondering about getting an OM Zuiko 50mm Macro F3.5 lens for it, but not entirely sure how that will work with the adaptor/doubling the focal length on a m3/4 camera (yes, already thinking of getting more 'old' lenses).

I also have to decide whether I want a free lens + battery or grip + battery (worth up to £330) to go with it as I got in on the last day of the offer http://olympus-omd-freelensgrip.sales-promotions.com/ , but the grip will defeat the object of getting a small m4/3 camera and my OM 50mm F1.4 lens may well be better than the free one.

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Scrungee, glad to hear your new OMD EM5 camera has arrived, that's another leaning curve to get around!!

I think that's a good idea as it will give you more choice and range to the new camera. I wouldn't ditch the f1.8 yet as it's always good to have a choice of lenses.

Again, I'd go for the "free" lens and battery,unless the image to battery life is low?
    Better to have a another lens to add to the armoury even if you don't use it often as again it gives you choice. But it's all down to personal choice and how you want to approach things.

6. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I think that's what I'll do, because the grip is camera specific, but the m3/4 lens will fit a variety of four thirds cameras and be more saleable should I decide not to keep it (+ might cover the cost of that 'old' macro lens).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      Hi, an interesting thread as I use manual Pentax lenses. Well only 3 lenses but I do rate them. But as they have become more popular with the emergence of adapters for most cameras they have increased in price. The Bay is a great place to surf to check out prices and follow bidding.
      Gazania

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Hi Gaz, I take it you've got a Pentax DSLR or adapted lenses?? I use only PK fitting lens as I don't think there's a M42 thread lens that I need to adapt to PK. The old Pentax prime and zoom lens are particulary, in my opinion, good glass and being able to get a great lens for a fraction of the price of a modern lens is a bonus. So I stick with the old PK fitting lens and don't see the need to need to use adapters.:dunno::snork:

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
        +204
        Hi, yes I have a Pentax K10 which I have had for what seems like forever! A good trusty camera that has been out with me in all kinds of weather. I use an old Pentax film camera sometimes. I also have a Sony nex F3 that fits into my pocket when I am out and about. I use an adapter with the Sony so I can use my Pentax lenses, a 50mm, 28mm and 75-150. I find this covers my needs. The 50 can cover quite a bit of ground and I have fun reversing it for macro. The 28 is also quite versatile and great for wide shots. I use the 75-150 a lot on the K10 for gardens visits e.t.c when I want to carry just one lens.
        Gazania

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Sounds like you know your stuff, Gaz. The K10 got really high reviews when it came out and it really is a great camera..........but then I'm a Pentax fan!!:heehee::snork:

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
          +204
          Hi, know my stuff? I wish! I know enough to get by. Luckily I've not been tempted to spend out big money on cameras and lenses e.t.c. and get by on the bare minimum. It can be quite addictive. And magazines and companies are always trying to sell something that is better than the last one. For me, taking photos is a way of recording what I see and want to keep a memory of. We can get sucked into how sharp is it? pixel peeping at 100%, e.t.c. ... and that's okay. But it usually comes at a price, money!

Yes the K10 was/is a good camera. I was never tempted to get the K20 or subsequent models. But my next DSLR will be a Pentax again. That's why I concentrate on Pentax fit lenses. The K10 is only 10megs but I think it has a lot of life left in it yet. It's had about 4600 actuation's, or was it 6400?, which isn't too bad for a camera that old.

The Sony F3 produces some very nice quality photos for me. The kit lens is a cracker too for flower photos. And being small I can carry it in my jacket pocket when out walking.

Must post some photos soon.

Gazania

• Agree Agree x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Well, you're like me in that what you know is what you've learnt by experience, time, mistakes and successes. The K10 still is a top quality camera, Gaz. The sensor is a good one and that with the use of good glass makes it a camera that will give great results. I'm with you on the pixel peeping as that will turn me off, a good image is a good image whatever the mp. Besides these days cameras are for sale with 40mp and more.....you can only get some much detail in a shot. Most of my lenses are from E-bay at a good price and one of my favourites is a Tamron 28mm-70mm f3.5 macro lens which I picked up for the sum of £16. It's really sharp and gives a good depth of field and if you get the chance of one I would recommend it.
            I've picked up a few of the old manual lenses from f1.4 upwards and even stripped some down and cleaned them, it's nice when you put them back together and they work even better!

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
            +204
            The Tamron sounds like a good buy. When I look at the Bay I check out the manual macro lenses around 100mm. Pentax, Vivitar e.t.c. That's a good focal length for me. Gives me some distance between me and the plants. I also get some good results with the Sony kit lens. The only drawback for me with the camera is a lack of a viewfinder. I didn't think it would bother me but it does. I can buy an excellent viewfinder for it but at around £250 I don't think so!
            Gazania

• Like Like x 1
            • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,517
              An interesting read. I'm assuming that a 'Kit' lens is the standard lens that comes with the camera. Does this mean that they don't perform as well as some? What is meant by 'Prime' lens? Some clarification please?

Edit : Sorry, more simplistic questions, and more to follow :heehee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Hi Freddy, I'm glad you find the thread interesting. It's not finished yet as I will post pics of the further old "legacy" lenses that I've bought and an explanation of why I've bought them. In answer to your questions:

Yes, you're right, a Kit lens is a lens that comes with a DSLR if you don't just buy the camera body but buy a "bundle" that includes one or two lenses. In my case when I bought the K5 it came with two lenses. There's nothing wrong at all with the lens either optically or quality wise. It's just that they are "bog standard" lenses and nothing exceptional. They will take great pics but to the keen enthusiast if there are better Pentax lenses that could be used instead then he/she will use them!! But the irony is that those same Kit Lenses in 10-20 years time will be regarded with the same respect as the 30-40 year old "legacy" lenses of which some, in their time, were regarded as "bog standard" and are revered now!!:dunno::snork:

A Prime lens is a lens that doesn't change focal length and doesn't act like a Zoom lens which changes it's focal length when it's zooming, like say a 80mm to 210mm lens. A prime lens is by it's very nature [fixed focal] regarded as being sharper than a Zoom lens. So say a 50mm lens will stay a 50mm lens when taking a pic as there is no ability to zoom and change the focal length.
              Just in case you don't know the focal length is the distance in mm from the optical center of the front lens to the focal point [when the light hits] on the film or sensor:coffee::snork:

Does that make sense??