New camera suggestions please..

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Marley Farley, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Which I think the S3 would be as well."

Poacher's pockets would be OK :thumb: :D

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :hehe: Poachers pockets....!! Maybe that is the way to go..... :wink::D

3. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I confess I am not sure what you mean about the battery. It holds the charge for ages. I never take my charger on holiday................ever. Sometimes if I am in hurry i give it a wee boost for half an hour. It really surprises me the length of time the charge lasts. I would certainly NOT be using ordinary batteries. As soon as they drop power the camera doesn'r work. I am talking after a few shots. I had one like that and never again

4. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    As a PS I do a lot of food photography and take dozens and dozens of pics at a time. No probs

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: I have rechargables for my Fuji Granny & find they last ages not like ordinary AAs. Have never had a problem, not even in Jamaica.!
    I wanted to keep things the same & as interchangeable as possible, plus ordinary AAs have got me out of a fix, where as a Sony caught my SiL out.. No charger = no pics, at least I can go to the shop or petrol station for AAs.. :wink::)

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    " I would certainly NOT be using ordinary batteries. As soon as they drop power the camera doesn'r work"

With my mean-green hat on I despise manufacturers who use proprietary batteries :(

The AA rechargeables in my Cannon last for ages. I've just recharged them today, and I can't remember the last time I did ... I'm sure its not 1,000's of pictures ... but I have had the batteries since the camera was new, and its just over 2 years old and has taken (according to the Filename of the latest image) 4,000 shots - maybe not that much for a set of batteries?

They started to go iffy when I was photographing the garden yesterday. I stopped using [motorised] Zoom and they happily let me carry on taking at least another dozen pictures, and uploading them all to the PC before I then put them on recharge. (But you are probably right that there is no warning before they give up, but I would want to have a spare set anyway - what about if you had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like Concorde crashing right in front of your eyes and you wanted to take 1,000 pictures and the battery was running down? :)

I do like the fact that it is using bog-standard batteries and IF they run out I can just buy some "emergency" bog-standard AA batteries to carry on filming (actually I have a spare set in my camera case, used on a couple of occasions for a few tens of shots).

As for built in batteries, what happens when they DO deteriorate?

My daughter has an Olympus with some silly proprietary rechargeable battery. I have to buy her a new battery every 6 months because it no longer holds it's charge :(

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: In ordinary batteries in emergency only Kristen otherwise I agree with you.. :)
    :thmb:

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    marley did you get your new camera will be interesting to see which one you decided to go for, im considering buying the new panasonic lumix T7, seen it advertised on telly quite like the look and features of it and its a 12 mega pixel. A friend i met in goa had a lumix and its a great camera and takes lovely pictures.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Hi Rosa, so sorry I didn't get back to you on that.. :dh: I just got a bit carried away with it when it arrived & then life got busy & I forgot.. So sorry my dear..

Yes I got the Canon PowerShot A590 IS.... [​IMG] I bought a totally reconditioned one from Canon with a 2 yr warranty.. It has been excellent.... It is just to take out in my pocket as the camera on my phone is rubbish.. This very neat & compact & tucks into pockets easily..! Beautifil picture quality from it.. This is a Canon shot...
    [​IMG]
    I have my big Fuji as my main camera.. For Landscapes Portraits & everything, but the canon just goes everywhere with me now... :D
    [​IMG]

10. andybike

andybike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i use a canon a530 powershot 5mp,excellent photo's,good colour and balance.

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    excellent news marley so pleased you got what you wanted, you have the same fuji as mine unless ive got my fuji set wrong its not taking as good a pics as my kodak, anyway happy snapping

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: To be honest rosa I like to use a tripod very often with the Fuji as I do not have the steadiest hand.. The bigger Fuji's I find are very susceptible to the tiniest movement in my opinion... The photos though have so much depth because of the extra pixals & the huge file sizes so for ,most landscapes I use my tripod.. Also for the grandchildren it takes a lovely portrait photo..... Horses for courses, so to speak I suppose rosa... :D

All I can say is I can thoroughly recomend the Canon rosa... I didn't go for the Kodak as it has its own powerpack, that was what I didn't want if you remember, & I wanted to stay with batteries as I use rechargeables for the fuji & my old canon (Which I use underwater now as I got a special case given to me for that..) So although the Kodak has more pixals & stayed with the canon as at 8 it is superb quality for a 2nd camera for me anyway..! :)

:thmb: Yes Andy they are excellent little cameras I quite agree.. :D

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    quite agree marley, i bought a tripod for my fuji but havnt used it as yet, i find a lot of pics taken with my fuji come out teribble yet my kodak i dont have that problem and better still is the panasonic lumix which im considering buying its quite expensive but well worth the money.
    quite understand why you went for the canon so that you can use the same batteries as your fuji yet my kodak doesnt take as long to charge as my fuji.
    we all have our different needs with these cameras that we buy anyway enjoy yours its great to have a smaller camera that you can just pop in your pocket as we cant with our fujis, mind i got my fuji in my handbag this morning but didnt use it stuck to pics with my kodak. hehe

14. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    rosa..! :dh: How big is your bag..!!! :hehe: Joking.... Sorry..!! :flag: It took me quite a while to set my Fuji up the way I like it, but in saying that I do fidde with it allot in Jamaica because of the light etc, but I really love it now... It is a nice piece of equipment... I feel with what I have got now, Fuji & Canons I am quite satisfied for the moment..... :wink::D Happy snapping..!!

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    haha marley heres my bag my jimmy choo and my fuji just popping out hehe, im going to have to look in the fuji book, just aswell i have my kodak when pics dont come out quite right on the fuji.

[​IMG]