New Composter

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by trish, Nov 26, 2007.

1. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    it wont make a difference caj for the ammont you pick up! its the dog hairs for me (Border collie) huge amounts of it, thats why i dont empty my hoover in there [​IMG]

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Ydd. I'll chuck it in there. Perhaps I'll get peanut shells tastefully wrapped up in nylon. I'll sell 'em as modern Art :D

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Do you mean you don't put your hoover fluff in the compost because its mainly dog hair? :confused:
    If so dog hair can go in. You can use human hair, dog hair, feathers - all full of nutrients. In late winter and spring I chuck any dog hair or cut hair I can find on the lawn for the birds to use...must be some cosey nests round here.

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    tried it geoff, it doesn't rot down, the lawn would disappear if i spread my dogs hair on it [​IMG] each to there own geoff, by the way i get lovely sweet smelling crumbly compost, without the hair :D

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Geoff, you scoure the house for dog hair and cut hair? Well, I guess it stops the bathroom plug-hole getting blocked up! :D

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I mix the hair in with stuff like lawn mowings and kitchen waste. Don't notice any when i use the compost.
    We have one of those Dysons. Its amazing how much dog hair they get out of the carpets. When we first bought a Dyson I tried it out first on a clean carpet. After a minute or so i looked at the drum on the machine and it looked as though i had half a black labrador in there. My wife cuts our hair so i throw it either in the compost or on the lawn in spring. There will be some little grey nests around with my hair. :D
    Some of the exponents of composting write about going to hairdressers to collect hair as composting material.

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
  9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I used to beg the local barber for hair to put in my runner-bean trench, what are we like? :D

10. hellebore

hellebore Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Occasionally some meat/fish gets thrown into my composter - by mistake, after good supper party - I have bought Bokashi bran which is supposed to help neutralise those animal bits but it costs a lot - would ordinary bran do? We have foxes, mice, if not rats, so i do want to discourage foragers

Hellebore :confused: