New Features Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Richard.R, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :thumb: You are correct about the Vbullitin boards Steve... Have you contacted Daisees or Nathan...??? As they are the only ones who can help Steve.... I will give them a rattle as well.....:thumb:

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The problem was with the server that acted as host for the change over. As I understand it, they failed to allow enough memory for the migration of the threads so some of them failed to be reinstalled after the change. At the moment we are waiting for them to inform us of how much they still have in the back-up files and then for Rich to have enough time to re-install them. Some certainly may be irretrievably lost which would be tragic. The problem should not be ongoing, only concerning those files which were involved in the transfer.

We're really sorry about this. Rich has used that host server many times and never had a problem with them before. Why they let us down on this occasion is a mystery. Perhaps they just underestimated the true size of this forum.

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Daisees how many threads did u lose cause I've lost nearly 1000 posts?? I can't see that you've lost that many and as Steve says the posts are showing in the posts that I've made but haven't been counted. I've got 20 pages of posts I've made and I have been through and clicked on them and the threads are still there so doesn't that mean they have migrated? Daisees did u actually read what Steve wrote?

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Yes, of course I read his post! But some of it is a bit over my head. And I answered it to the best of my ability as quote below. Until Rich has time to get together with them, we won't really know how much we lost and if it's available to retrieve. I believe some of it may not be. He told me he may have to reinstall most of it manually. But please remember that he has to earn a living and have a life and that he is doing this for us for free.

At the moment we are waiting for them to inform us of how much they still have in the back-up files and then for Rich to have enough time to re-install them.

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have searched and cannot find anything to say what the little square box is below Rep Power on users' profiles.

When pointed at some users' boxes the name only is displayed, and for others it says '(username) is on a distinguished road' and some, like Banana Man, have two boxes that say 'Banana Man will become famous soon enough' (I of course have no doubt about this) :thmb:

How does one get onto the Distinguished Road - or even become Famous Pending?

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Blimey, hadn't even realised you could point at the box!! Way too complicated for me, I'll just stick with reading the posts:)

cheers

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,127
    It is just to do with the number of Rep points you have got Blackthorne.. I think once it gets over 10 it says "you are on a distinguished road".....:dh::D You can dissable them in your user CP if you want... Just go to "edit options" & it is the 1st box I think... Tick the box to display them or un-tick the box if you don't want them to dissable them..:)

8. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A long time since being to the forum,why am I now an apprentice gardener?

9. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the info MF, I've got a ways to go yet to become famous! :scratch::D

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,127
    :wink: Yep Blackthorn, just a little ways yet...!!:hehe:

:gnthb: Coub, nice to see you back again... Yes we made a few changes when the changeover happened.. This is how it goes.. It is still based on the number of posts made...

:wink: Hope that straightens it out coub....:thmb:

11. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    The above six weeks ago!

So, database is corrupted or fragmented..yet more things installed on top of it?

This is madness, sheer madness.

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Steve, I answered your query here and here

There is no database curruption or fragmentation or any other problem. All is well and functioning properly.

13. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    No its not.

Ahh I see my post count now reflects that which I have actually posted, it now shows 256 instead of the 79 I had when I posted earlier, so a count has been made and my tally has been adjusted. My post count was never the issue, there is a problem here with the database whether you recognise it or not.

Lets look at Little miss road rage, view how many posts she has made..around 500 yet her post count shows nearer 70, therefore the database is corrupted/fragmented. If as you say the threads had not migrated, they would not show when searching a members details. Simples.

Hide from it all you like, I'm merely pointing out you have a major problem and installing more features over the top of that is like building a house of stone on a sandy beach.

Steve...:)

14. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Banana Man did adjust your post count since you seemed to ruffled about it but neither of us are coders for this site and can only repeat what we have been told. There is no need to accuse us of 'hiding from it'.

We'll get it looked into.

15. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Not at all, but the post counts indicate a problem, I am a coder..its obvious to me, I like GC and dont want to see it crash

Accuse is a strong word, you are hiding from it if your convinced there is no problem, but for the staus quo...

"Everything is fine, really it is"

Steve...:)