New Features Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Richard.R, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    The script I'm using does Aaron, no trace of google now for me.

Steve...:)

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    how do I turn off the email alerts when there is a new post to a thread I've already posted to.
    ?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,210
    You need to go to your Control Panel (Click 'User CP' on top left)
    Then select 'Edit Options' and in the section 'Messaging & Notification', change the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' to 'Do not subscribe'

Then click 'Save changes'

:thumb:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "change the 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' to 'Do not subscribe'"

Or "No email" - I've don't that, so they are still added to my Subscribed Threads list, but I don't get an Email.

I have created another FOlder called "Favourites" which I manually add threads to that I want to be able to find again - as the Subscrbed Threads has rather a lot in it!

5. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    the colour is quite nasty to my eyes:skp:

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    There's a little drop down box right at the bottom of the page Kathy, on the green bar, mine is on classic and its just the normal GC colour..

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,114
    :) Why are "new posts" now "old posts" and we have to click on" todays posts to" get "new posts" .......Does that make sence?............It never used to be like this....or is it just me?

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "New posts" are now things that you have not read. Once you read something it will no longer be included in the New Posts list (i.e. if you Refresh the New Posts page).

Before New Posts used to include things that you had read. Usually the ones you had read were lo-lighted, but not always, and if you went away from your computer for 10 minutes, or so, the whole lot was considered "read", so it was very hard to see what you had actually read, and what you hadn't. The old Today's Posts suffered from the same problem WRT marking what was read and what was not.

I find the New Way a much better solution and New Posts now enables me to make sure that I haven't missed any new posts in threads that I am participating in.

If you want "New Posts" like you used to get on the old system then use "Today's Posts". That shows all recent posts, including both read and un-read, but now reliably highlighted to indicate what you have read and what you haven't.

9. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,114
    :) Thanks Kristen ,that was well put AND in plain English.........It's just that old habits die hard lol.

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ive allways used "Todays posts" ! and its allways been highlighted, lowlighted, so nothing has changed there..

11. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    One thing I have noticed, if you click on your profile its showing red crosses in red boxes. Have clicked on 'friends' profiles also and theres are the same ?

Is this the same for anyone else ?

Am at work today - and no problem logging in and remembering password either so thats much better :D

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "if you click on your profile its showing red crosses in red boxes. Have clicked on 'friends' profiles also and theres are the same ?

Is this the same for anyone else ?
    "

Looks fine here (assuming I'm looking at the same thing that you are!)

13. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thank you YDD IT MUST BE AN AGE THING

14. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17

If you click on my name, or your own, or anyone elses and then click "view public profile" .... when i look at mine, or anyone elses there are lots of white boxes with a red cross in.

It never used to be like this and noticed it after the change at home. Thinking it was just my home computer, I have checked today from work but its the same.

Not sure if thats what you were looking at Kristen :)

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,210
    Sam, I know what you mean about the white boxes with a red cross in, I sometimes see that on here and also on other forums (fora?) - it seems to come and go for me. But right now I can see all the photos on here with no problem.