New Features Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Richard.R, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I go to send a reply to a message, I'm asked for a title yet I'm replying to a thread that already has a title! Because I forget to check before I reply, I have to go back to find out what the original title was, copy it, and then return to my reply and paste it in.

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    You dont need to write the title into the box if your just replying Q

3. mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    hi there,ive just joined the site and cant seem to upload an avatar,can anyone help please :cnfs:

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    You've done it! And very nice too

5. mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
  6. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that! I guess I'm just too law-abiding! I'll leave it off in future (only when replying of course!)

It just goes to show, I had my mopuse hovering over the "Submit reply" and I paused because it didn't seem right!!!! But I'm going to push it ....now!!

7. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have several comments I'd like to make but I'll only send four at the moment - and hope that they are useful. First, however, let me say that I've had a great deal of help from other people on this site and because of that, I'm happy with the site generally - it is a success.

Comment 1 - When I first visited the website, I found, and still find, it far too cluttered, making it difficult to understand and to navigate. The size of the space for the avatar and details of the member is far larger than it needs to be, and the message (the most inmportant bit) almost gets lost.

Comment 2 - I always find the "Post Reply" bit confusing as I don't always want to "reply" to any comment in the thread but just want to add my own.

Comment 3 - The additional options panel could be better arranged to take up far less room and remove some of the clutter.

Comment 4 - On the other hand, the "Topic Review", which I've only just found (!!!!), is fine as I can read the bits I really want to read.

Please don't put out a contract on me! You asked for comments and so . . . . . . . I've commented!

I'm now going to submit my reply though I'm not replying to anything - life can be so cruel!!!

8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    This is just an observation.

There have been several new people joining this board recently.
    As a member of several different boards, past and present I can say with some authority, new people are the life blood of any board.

So I'm curious that the way the board is set up.
    Alan Titchmarsh if he joined would immediately be deemed; "An apprentice gardener" and would only gain the accolade "gardener" regardless of any expertise, once he'd posted sufficient messages.
    When I joined and saw that tag below my name, I just smiled, because I know how systems work. But some might find it a little disrepectful.

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    Hi Queador & Doghouse.. Thank you for your observations, Admin will be looking in, on the whole the site works well & once you have visited a few more times I am sure you will be navigating around it with ease as others do Queador..
    With respect, all sites have little differences & foibles, it would be imposibble to make it so everyone is totally happy with it.... :flag: :old: :D It works well & we don't want to be the same as all the others do we.....??
    As for the titles we all earn Doghouse, this system has been running very successfully & as you know, the more posts you make the titles change & you move up the system... :) It is only the system for the site to display how active you are at a glance really to all members........ No disrespect of anyone's abilities at all... You find lots sites have similar systems, but this is GCs. :wink: :old::)

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,795
    Hi Q36, :thumb:

I'm not qualified to answer your comments but have a 'reply' anyway. :hehe:

You may be able to reduce the space the avatar and details takes up by changing format but, unfortunately, I can't remember how it is done :o. I changed mine after advice from wiser heads :)

The Post/Submit reply bit you will eventually get used to. I have had a few semantic niggles but my mind eventually edits them out.

The 'Additional Options' panel can be closed by clicking on the arrow on the top right of it.

This 'Topic Review' sounds interesting. What is it, and where? :scratch: :D

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Well.. A glance through the members list will reveal a large number of "apprentice gardeners" who join, make one, or only a few posts and disappear.
    This happens on every board, but on this one I find it quite significant.

I still think the word "Apprentice" is a poor choice to describe someone new to any board, doesn't sound at all friendly and other boards to which I belong, don't use such in my opinion, a patronising term just to identify someone new.

The number of posts displayed does that anyway.

But ,it's "your ball......"

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :) Well that is the system as it stands Doghouse & as I said there is no disrespect at all it is all done in a light-hearted spirit as is any forum I think, but changes happen all the time on forums. All forums also have a very large proportion of members who post 1 or a few times & then disappear for ever.. Seems to me GC is no different than other forums, no matter what subject they may cover.. That is just forum life.. :)

13. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shiny,

Thanks for the information. As regards the "Topic Review", I just clicked on something but didn't know what until I just did it again, when I clicked on the word "Quote" at the bottom right of your message - and there it is - off the bottom of the screen!!

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,795
    Hi Q,

Ahh! That's what you were referring to :thumb:. When you click on 'Quote' it puts up the post of the person on whose 'Quote' you clicked on and then shows the other postings below.

You can get the same result without the person's quote by just clicking on the 'Go Advanced' tab which is next to the 'Post Quick Reply' tab at the bottom of the page. The 'Go Advanced' also allows you to add smilies and pictures. :)

15. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Err..

Why have we gone all "blue?"

Is it that cold?