New Features Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Richard.R, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Mainly becauise for me it's unecessary clutter, if people can't live without it then make it an option to include or not as a personal choice, same goes for a number of other facilities; the less rubbish to process the quicker the site should run.

We have quite a varied membership here, the younger ones may like all the bells and whistles whilst others of us just want a site which we can post to without all the flashy signatures and other distractions; smilies and similar things are OK in the Muppett show area, but are they necessary to a discussion of our main interest of gardening?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,742
    Hi Mike Yes I believe Smilies are very Important when you are conversing in Text ,as Important as they are in every day Life,as for [​IMG] The more the merrier:thmb:
    Anything that can lighten the load and enhance Communication is a winner with me :):thumb:

3. Richard.R

Richard.R Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I Think the best solution would be to have 3 copies of the same skin, (design etc)

that people could choose

one has all bell and whistles
    one (default maybe?) has a compromise
    on has close as possible to old style

people could pic their choice from their usercp

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with mike regards smilies...... A distraction. The written word can be comunicated most elequently without them so why the need for them on a forum.

BTW, No ones getting ratty, all we are doing is saying that we dislike SOME of the new features...... In my book this is termed CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Im sure everyone apreciates Richards efforts but that doesnt meen we are all in love with the new silly £ ratings etc.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,477
    I agree with having the Smilies .... they do enhance the conversation which sometimes can be misconstrued in the written word as opposed to face to face .... I have encountered this problem many times. ... :yez: ... and a little Smiley might have avoided this. :(

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think smilies are important as they can portray what the poster is saying if for example sarcasm is used. It helps stop arguments I think just MHO

7. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

Thats what I was trying to say :) but LOL u said it much better than I did :thumb:

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,626
    Tend to use the bits I understand, if i dont understand it I just leave it alone.

Having said that, I did "accidentally" borrow some money last night, at least I think I did.

But as it was "accidental" I will not be paying it back:lollol::thmb:

So sue me:p.

9. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :cool:..I've just gone back to the old layout and I reckon it helps having something familiar while browsing the new thingies......Points for Posts?...In that case,I'm due 9,000+ worth!:p

Sue you Pete?....Any relation to J Cash:scratch::lollol:

10. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Best suggestion yet!!

I agree that smilies can convey a bit more than the written word so that we know when someone is being funny or a bit tongue in cheek, but they can also be overdone. In the Muppet show then no holds barred, but in the more "serious" areas then maybe a bit more "low key"

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,626
    Pal.:lollol::D:D:D:D

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I tend to use Smilies quite a bit - sometimes! Depends upon the message.

As for the tags, they are a new form of searching the forum. If people want to, they can edit the tags and put in keywords, anything they like that is pertinent to the thread topic, and then when others come along they can click on one of the keywords and find other threads dealing with the same topic.

Thus, if you have a thread about feeding lawns, you put that in as a tag. Eventually many threads get similar keywords entered and so when you click on that entry, you get a search list up.

Then there is the tag "cloud" which is a box with ALL the keywords on GC included. The more a keyword has been clicked on, the bigger it gets in the cloud so you can see what topics are most popular.

Here is an example from another forum and you can see that AVN is by far the most popular topic searched.

[​IMG]

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Give that man a rep point :D

14. Richard.R

Richard.R Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll hopefully get the 3 skins up today :)

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Whilst you are here, and fixing the plumbing Welsh Dude, any chance you could have a look at why pictures cannot be enabled for upload to this forum's server?

I think that would greatly enhance this forum

(Personally I don't like the "height" of the big block of poster-info at the top right of each post. It spreads the post vertically, and requires more scrolling etc. Just voicing my opinion, but maybe I'll be able to cheer for one of your new skins?!)