New Greenhoue

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Honey Bee, Jun 18, 2006.

1. garden angel

garden angel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this is the second summer for my greenhoue ,last year i was a bit greedy and planted up lots of seed trays ,and then had great difficulty keeping them cool, needless to say i lost alot ,so on sunday went to B&q ,saw some g/h shading quite expensive went inside noticed they had roman blinds on sale bought a six foot navy blue one,for �£5.00 my husband put up the 3 hookson the outside roof ridge and it does the job, also bought a little down pipe for collecting rain it just clips on the side .

2. steveb1973

steveb1973 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes BM Cornwall is the only answer....I go there a lot and i am so jelous of the warm winters...up here in Derbyshire i cannot go too tropical because overwinter protection just doesn't work properly. it basically just keeps things alive ....lots of brown and yellow when i unwrap stuff!!!... ive tried with about 20 echiums (the blue flower spikes you see everywhere in cornwall in may/june)And only managed to get one to flower in its second season( but only about 4 ft high).....and when i drive past houses with various 30+ foot palm trees in it just does my head in !!!!
    Your jungle would be fine down there

3. Valentine

Valentine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been talking with hubby about putting up a little greenhouse behind our garage. I an area of patio (raised concrete) behind the garage that I use now for a potting area. Its about 17 x 12 and I'd like to use it to over-winter my plants and start new ones, etc. The area is already protected by a privacy fence and the back of the garage and is only exposed on one side. It gets the sun from morning to evening. I'm thinking one of those three sided types that goes against the back of the building would be good. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Suggestions?

4. PJ

PJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my greenhouse from ebay- an 8 foot by 12 foot one in perfect condition- for �£120. Bargain. Even got it delivered. Cost additional to get help to sort base, erect it and put beading in frame to support glass, but was still worth it. One bit of advice I would give- Best to have solid base- paved, or whatever. Don't tie plants into frame because it is useful to sulphur bomb it in Autumn to clear out all the beasties for winter. Another great tip from ye olde gardener was to make sand pits- line with old fertiliser bags and lengths of wood (I didn't even nail mine together) and set plant pots into them. Saves them from drying out and you can just tip the sand every year onto the compost pile. Hope that's useful.

5. Rumple

Rumple Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Honey Bee - do check out the cost of a cedar green house before you decide.

I had one built for me by two local men, a bricky and a carpenter - literally custom made (Nevil, the carpenter, decided the height of the roof pitch by having me stand at one end and raise my arm!) and I still think it was one of the best bargains I have ever gotten.

I would suggest that you first draw up the plan you want - how you want it situated in the garden, electricity, water and then get a couple of quotes. You don't have to make any commitments, and you might be surprised.

Worth considering. Rumple

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Valentine I assume you mean a lean-to type greenhouse to go against the garage I did something similar against my shed by using the shed as the back I found it does retain some heat in winter but conversely you will need shading in summer with all that day time sunshine, solid base is a good idea easier to keep pest free.Steve don't give up with the tropicals I live a bit further north and my trachycarpus fotuneii overwintered outside no problem I am trying a brumansia this winter I (always keep a backup in the green house just in case) so as we cyclists say keep going with your head down

7. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That`s a good plan.
    I wonder how many retired craftsman you or your relatives know with great skills just going to waste?
    With the same Ã?£700 budget you could probably have something a lot better compared to an equivilent priced commercial one [​IMG]

8. Plant with a Pickaxe

Plant with a Pickaxe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All excited, I ordered a new greenhouse this morning, now just got to wait for delivery and prepare the ground in the selected spot.

[​IMG]

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I bet you are - and I bet you can't wait til you can get some plants in it, and get started on seeds in early spring. I do hope you can get it wired in - somehow makes the winter shorter, if you can potter in a lit, warm greenhouse :D

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    He can't afford the time to potter in it!! He has to come out to work with me! :D I can't wield a mattock like he does.....