New house new garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jul 8, 2007.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Indian Summer is a superb plant Pete, another good variety is Mme Galen.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I think that is the most well known one David.
    Dont think I've seen it. [​IMG]

Are they crosses Radicans, for hardiness, Grandiflora, for flower size.

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for your advice that plant may well be worth a go I must say I just love the colour of it so bright and funky!

Pete that is indeed a lovely plant I think it will look stunning going through Bob's willow topped trellis work.

Any ideas of a scented perennial climber as well or is there no such thing?
    Helen.xxx.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mme Galen is Campsis x tagliabuana which itself is a cross between radicans and grandiflora, Pete. Helen the most obvious plant would be one of the Jasmines.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks David I'ave already got a Jasmine near the side decking any more you can think of?
    Helen.xxx.

7. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I bet you don`t have Trachelospermum jasminoides Helen. Star Jasmine is evergreen with Jasmine-like flowers and scent.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now you have really got me thinking David which is of course quite a dangerous thing! :D

I'll have to see which one mine is that's if the label is still on it as silly me didn't graph log that section of the garden!

All I know is that I'm pretty sure it isn't the same one as I had at my old house although I do believe it's a white flower.
    Helen.xxx.

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Helen, Trachelospermum is not really a Jasmine it is actually a true climber whereas Jasmines are what are known as wall shrubs.

10. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    well hello yorkshirrrres brave heart hope your ok
    been a long time just been so busy getting jobs finished before xmas. oh well now its time too drink that asda at 3 for 20 quid will keep me busy [​IMG]

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ste well I'm glad to write that this braveheart has finally got some pain relief!

In no time at all I'll be cracking that bamboo cane on Bob's butt. :D

I'm going to have a very dry christmas this year so no lager and black for me..... I know lager and black how ghetto is that I'ave never been one for a glass or two of wine I'm not lady enough for that!

Ste we brought three cases of stella from Tesco's a couple of weeks ago 3 for �£20 so ones going to the brother-in-law and the other? well we will just have to wait and see!

Have a great xmas everyone I know I will even without the booze! [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

12. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    so glad your not in pain or as much anyway.. take it easy think the wife said that the nights dtart getting lighter. roll on spring [​IMG] have a good xmas and take it easy on the choclate its ok pigging out but it wont be long before we are all running around getting the garden ready for summer

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ste Bob's already starting to think about that decking and I have to admit I can't wait to help him out now.

If I'm still geting up pretty early in spring when it starts getting lighter earlier then at least I can potter about in the garden instead of my old shuffle dance movements!

Hope you have a lovely Christmas dinner Ste and at least offer to help Mrs.Imps out even if its just clearing the dinner table and have a good'un. [​IMG] Helen.xxx.

14. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well got to the end haha, that took quite a long time to read!

helen, your garden is kind of how i am imgining mine to be in some parts - my patio part will be in the same position under the window, so lots for me to look through to pinch ideas :)

I'm surprised you have the neighbours cats coming over since you have 2 dogs? anyway remember they are only little sweet animals and it's only poo at the end of the day and worms love it and breed like mad in it :) thats got to be a plus!! (i'll stick up for you cats!!!)

Re your back, my dad is a gardenener (has an alotment too) and he's got a trapped nerve in his spine and he's in agony with it and nothing is easing it, he cant do digging but is hobbling round his allotment - theres just no stopping some people! So good luck with yours, nothing worse than back pain as you cant do much without using your back. How's it now?

Anyway, youve done a great job (and Bob too!) - let's hope for a nice long summer so you can get out there with your tea and sit back and enjoy it!
    Happy New Year

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes indeed Mgn it's always an epic for me on here most of the guys and girls know me well enough now to know I don't do small! :D

The neighbour's cats know only too well that our back garden in like running the 'death gauntlet' with my two Yorkies even though there isn't a chance in hell of them catching one so the cats don't try coming over the hedge anymore there!

I think the reason why I'm having a huge problem with the one cat is because my new neighbours (on the other side) are not the most tidy people in world and don't clean out their dog food tins as they should do for the recycling box, the peskey cat smells the food waste and eats at their house among the tins and poops at my house...it must know that old saying 'you don't poop where you sleep'.

The pain killers are working something wonderful for my pain, I have no pain in my bum now which is a huge relief as it was constant agony although I still wake up in pain in the early mornings (as you can tell with the time of this post) also in the early evening but at least I can go out in my garden and do a little weeding for half an hour or so before I'm in too much pain to carry on....fingers crossed by summer I'll feel much better. [​IMG]

I would loved to have an allotment but I'm just waiting to see how my health is before I try out for one.
    Your dad is a star struggling on as he is, the poor darling must indeed be in an awful lot of pain but I dare bet he gets plenty of enjoyment out of his plot even hobbling along. I do hope he feels much better soon. ;)

Now a nice cuppa does sound just what I need before going back to bed! Happy New year to you Mgn and once again good luck with your garden and keep us posted with plenty of pics along the way!
    Helen.xxx.