New house new garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jul 8, 2007.

1. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just come onto this subject. My goodness Helofadigger you certainly know how to ruffle some feathers. Its a good job my posting on killing slugs didnt get the same response!

Anyway seriously does anyone know if those cat sonic wave things to stop cats in your garden work and do they stop birds as well . Will it upset the dog or will he get used to it.

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Compost Maker yes you are indeed right Bob always said I attract the wrong sort of attention.... but please don't mention the slugs or the pro-slug brigade will indeed have my guts for garters as I have sent many a slug to a salty grave! :D

Regarding the sonic cat repeller they do indeed work great just as long as you haven't any deaf cats near you!

When you first pop one into your garden you have to make sure plants are not in the way as the device will always be on and your batteries will run out so very quick, I tend to switch mine on last thing at night and have brought rechargable ones for them all.

First off you might not see any real results although I was lucky as it work right away for me, it was pretty funny to see cats crossing the road and then back again once their have passed by my house.

I have two Yorkies and I was also worried that the devices might upset them so before I went and brought the device I popped round to my neighbour Trish's house with my two girls and allowed them to play on her garden right in front of the her device, it didn't seem to worry them at all so I went and brought one.

I had such amazing results that since the first one I brought another two, they don't seem to worry the birds at all I still get the blackbirds rooting about on my grass for the worms. ;) Helen.xxx.

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I think ill get one of those Helen..protect the birds and my dog Cassy, she go's mental when there walking along the fence, they just give her a look as if to say, go on make my day:D
    theres about 7 cats who live at the back of me, i had one who lived in my greenhouse for a while, he was lovely, big and jet black..haven't seen him for a while, hope he's ok....cassy go's down to check every morning, i wouldn't mind but the cat would definatley chin her haha..

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    first of all i would like to say that if anyone hates cats pooing in my garden its me :mad: :mad: .but we all know that keen gardeners that take pride in there work would not go around shooting animals.helen we all know it was a bit of fun . i have to get up at 6.00am to take my dog out and there is no one around but i take a bag let my dog do it stuff down the canal then bag it and put it in the bin then later on before i can let my dog out i have to shift cat poo out of my borders or the dog will dig it up so you can see that im not really happy with the owners and i wouldnt expect someone to be happy with me if i let my dog poo in there borders or gardens garden and they had to clean up after my dog. this is a hot topic and we all have our views but i dont think any one of us would hurt a cat its the owners i blame . im not here to offend anyone its just all so easy to let your cat out for the night to mess up some one elses garden whats wrong with cat owners getting a lead and taking your cat out and picking it up . but that would be to much hard work for some. so i will finish with this . i would never hurt a cat but i would be happy to bag it and post it straight back. and if this is a simplistic view then so be it you dont have to have 9 a levels to have the decency to come round and clean my borders coz im sick of it [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Inter, I agree with you, cat owners should be more responsible. Our cats, and we have three, are all trained to litter trays.

[ 07. February 2008, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Daisees ]

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ste, we've had our disagreements, mainly over who has 9 A levels, or as you so subtly once put it '10 degrees' (never met anyone with either) but on this I think you are right. I too would never deliberately hurt an animal either domestic or wild but I find my borders full of cat pooh very frustrating. It is as you say the owners that are cretins, One of my neighbours has 5 cats all with permanent diorreah. When I suggested she litter train them she said I should put sharp sticks all over my garden to keep them off. It's very frustrating. But I wouldn't shoot them. Her......maybe,

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    as children read this i wont bother .. as for the words [​IMG] [​IMG] give yourself a big pat on back. shame ya not in distance ;)

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Choccy equals choclate, Not difficult. calm down.

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    must av had a skinfull=TOO MUCH ALE watchin rugby, :D :D didnt expect that on a gardening forum but boy did it make me laugh oh well i, but i can see a few females getting the knickers in a twist reading that .. hope this thread continues but the cats dont

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Time to bang heads together me thinks thats if I can keep a straight face.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Seems to be spreading across the threads could I just ask everyone not to post anymore on these threads for the sake of the forum, David as a valued contributer to this site I would rather see comments written in the queens english rather than language that could offend others don't take offence at my observations I am not pointing the finger at you just don't want to lower the tone of this forum [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    This is really getting very personal. I think people should just ignore others and not threaten physical violence which is pretty well impossible anyway over the web. I know, I've tried but the pins fell out of the doll.

[ 07. February 2008, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Daisees ]

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly due to one person not having a sense of humour I have decided to redo this garden thread.

I must stress that it was my own decision and in no way did it in involve the mods of which didn't even contact me regarding this horrible saga.

This mess sadden and caused me a great deal of stress so much so I was seriously thinking of jacking it all in.

Which would have hurt me even more as most of you will know I do so love popping on here every day, this forum has been a godsend to me through many bad moments with my ill health.

Mods if you can could you please delete this old thread now.Thanks.Elle.xxx.

If you are unable to enjoy a good laugh most of which is at my own expense then please do not join my 'new' gardening adventures.

To all my close buddies who enjoy my wacky SOH put on your wellies and come join me having as much fun as we can along the way..... after all who knows what torromow may bring just enjoy today!
    My new thread Hel's Heaven

Love you all Elle.xxx.

14. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I think that this thread and the other one should now be locked and then deleted so that no one will be able to knock anyone else for what they say or do.

Helen,perhaps you would like to put your link on a new thread in case this one gets deleted.Then hopefully we can all get back to the things we joined this site for in the first place which is GARDENING... [​IMG]

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    This thread has been cleaned - many posts edited and some deleted.

Thread closed