New house new garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Mef750 there's still plenty more to do, but we take it nice and easy one day at a time. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all the side garden isn't finished yet waiting for the membrane and the gravel, but as we have got itchy feet we started on the back.

[​IMG]

Bob and I have been busy in the garden (as normal) and the top picture looks a little different now which was taken a couple of days ago, all the little sleepers are in the ground, soil has been transplanted there and the level is raised to make it a little bit flatter up there.
    Bob has had his wacker plate out and compacted the soil, just need to treat the soil and cover it with membrane and wait for the gravel.

I have brought a retractable clothes line and I'll see if it is long enough to go where I want it so the clothes post in the picture can be removed. Gotta keep the clothes line as there's nothing better then clean wind dried bedding in my book..... lovely!

In this back garden just like the rest of our plot there's a fair bit of work to do and we are going for a tropical feel up top near the house and I'm pleased to write I have had lots of help from wonderful people on this forum (see my thread Tropical help) Sarraceniac has been so lovely...thank you John.

As gardening is a long term thing I'm trying to keep it kinda child friendly for possible grandchildren in the future although as the boys are only 19 and 23 with no plans of settling down we could have a fair wait and it's because of this that Bob no longer wants a pond.

We went to the garden centre yesterday and brought some alpines for my Belfast sink (it's in the side garden) and I'm ashamed to write that not only did I get my alpines but conned Bob into buying me some grasses for the back too!

I didn't know there were so many to choose from and so many great colours too.
    Helen.xxx.

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Another picture of the back garden right at the end point.Sorry about the flash!

[​IMG]

This is where our cat Tiger who died just before Christmas last year is buried. I'ave tried to do a ivy grotto with a little white dragon sitting on top surrrounded by lily of the valley (which the slugs seem to love) and foxgloves......these might have to go when the grandkids come along!

The ivy isn't doing too well i.e.not covering the "grotto" cage as I would like but maybe next year it will look better.
    Helen.xxx.

4. chips

chips Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Helen you and your hubby have done a cracking job so far. gonna be great when its done [​IMG]

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Maggie I only hope we are able to relax in it when we get to the end.... but I think we will sit down with a nice cuppa and 'see' something else that has to be done! [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bob took me to the garden centre a couple of days ago and we brought a little Victoria plum tree which as you can see I have planted near the trellis work of the side garden.

[​IMG]

It 'had' a few plums on it but Bob had to test if it was good enough for him! [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

7. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Helen - I think it's the same one I can see in the distance out of my window! I shall have to try and get a closer look. They are very pretty... wonder if I can find a space for one in my garden?

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    At 19 and 23 Helen those boys should be safe to let loose near a pond ;)seriously though you can buy or make a decent cover if grandchildren come along, a pond adds another dimension to gardening.

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Walnut Bob would like a pond but we really can't make our mind up to be honest.

Bob helped his sister do a smashing formal pond last year and really loved it but after only 6 months Diane (his sister) gave the fish away and filled in the pond all because her daughter had a baby!

Diane also ripped up most of her plants and turned her mass of garden into such a plain unloved patch, I used to be so jealous of the size of her garden now I just feel sad at it's present state ....such a waste!

That's why we are thinking well ahead as we have always thought of our children first so it goes without saying grandchidren will be treated the same but we really don't want to rip up our garden for them because in a few years it will be our own little Eden. [​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hi Helofadigger gardens looking brill; very addictive isn,t it.. just like to say when you put your line up dont forget to wrap it round the hooky thingy or it will snap, onto third line now [​IMG]

11. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Helen,

You have both worked very hard [​IMG]

I love your Salix, mine used to look just like it before son stopped watering it :(

What are the lovely cute blue flowering plants around the tulips? I would love to know so i can get some myself :D

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Paula those little blue flowers are called Grape Muscari also known as Grape Hyacinths.

That retailer J.Parker you posted with the great offers have a stunning two tone effect Grape Hyacinth called 'Mount Hood' and at a great price too so thanks for that link Paula because I'm gonna buy some of them!

Below is a nice link I found about them for you

http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/Muscari.html

They do indeed multiply like crazy (always a plus in my book) I have already split mine I'ave got hundreds of them now and I'm sure they will look stunning in Spring. Well worth buying some if you haven't already got some! [​IMG]

Regarding the Salix I haven't got the same problem as you because Bob's such a dear he waters the garden each night without fail and all it costs me is a nice cup of tea in return!

Helen.xxx.

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello there Youngdaisydee as a true addict would say 'I haven't got a problem,I can stop if I wanted too' but then who would want to!
    Already been messing around outside and it's still pitch black!

Bob sorted out the line hook thing straight away the clever cloggs, I wouldn't have a clue and would have just used a clothes prop to keep it in place.

I brought two solar lights from Wilkinsons thought I would try some out but brought them single so if they are rubbish I can always throw them out if they are not good.

One was a rock light reduced from �£4 to �£3 as one would expect like most solar lights this is just a 'marker' light and doesn't throw any light out as such i.e.just glows slightly.

The other one was a solar spot light which cost me �£4 and I must say I'm very impressed with the results it does indeed light things up and I will be buying some more of these, ideal for lighting up plants or pathways.I have tried it 'out' on my plum tree and it looks stunning!

I saw some solar spot lights in B&Q that are selling for �£49 for a set of three and I thought I would have to wait for a sale or my birthday but now I have found these from Wilkinsons I'm really chuffed as you can imagine just look how many I can get for my money....even Bob was impressed and said we will go back and get another 12!

I had to tell him I only want the spots to light up my spikey plants on the back garden (when it's done) and not a landing strip! [​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    morning helofadigge,r and Bob, i ha ve the same spot lights from woolies 3 for a tenner (reduced) they shine my spikeys up a treat :D next years task i think will be electricity in the garden, all my lights are solar. ineed light above. also i fancy some sort of water feature,oooo i love gardening me

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well the membrane has been put down in both the back and side garden.

We had 3 tons of gravel dropped off for the side garden yesterday thought it might just be enough, turns out it was more than enough and even did most of the area on the back garden too.

Wish we ordered another ton or so, never mind still the back pathway to do and of course my greenhouse floor as well as the back area still need a little bit more...so another couple of tons will do just fine!

Dan (our eldest) had a day off yesterday and he and his girldfriend (Gemma) helped Bob and I to move all the gravel from off the driveway and in next to no time all was moved! :D

I'm really quite chuffed with the side garden if only the weather was great I could enjoy it so much more having a nice cool lager and black on the tiny deck ......now that's bliss! [​IMG]

Will post some more pics later for you all.
    Helen.xxx.