New house new garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jul 8, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    helen so you should be chuffed.shame the weather hasnt been the best but at least you have had a little bit of help off some of the family and maybe its best it wasnt too warm as it seems youve all been working very hard. keep up the good work and keep us posted on how its coming along

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hi helen i once asked for a ton of gravel for my birthday, on the day of expected delivery there was 4 of us to wheelbarrow it off the drive and into the back garden [​IMG] but it didnt turn up untill the next day, :( and yes i was on my own [​IMG] Moved the lot before the hub came in from work ;) He couldnt believe it, but when it comes to my garden i turn into a irish Navvy [​IMG]

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ste normally when there's work to be done I can't find anyone to help out and poor Bob trys to do everything still thinking he's a young fit man, I have to start messing around just to slow him down! :D

Goodness knows how he's going to cope if he has to have dialysis. :eek:

Hello there Youngdaisydee it's very strange if you love doing something like gardening you do indeed find the power and strength to get things done, the gravel was pretty hard going and the kids didn't last that long but a little always goes a long way.

I was going to take a couple of new pictures of the garden yesterday but popped out to the movies (yet again) so didn't get a chance but I'm sure I'll get a chance later..... that's if it stops raining!
    Helen.xxx.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all.

Well yesterday I pulled myself together and got cracking on the back garden as the side garden is all done and looks amazing!

We dug a lovely new border and planted a few plants.

Brought a stunning cordyline for only �£3 (not as cheap as John's/Sarraceniac but still wonderful) from a local carboot ....wish now I brought two as it does look smashing in the border, oh well you live and learn.

Planted two of my purple chimney pots (yes PURPLE!)in the border just at the side of the old penny slab just gotta look around for the right plants to put in them now as the ones I have in them at the moment I have plans to go elsewhere.

Added some solar spots lights and boy does it look great both at night and day even though there's more to do I'm really pleased so far with the results...must get round to taking some pictures!
    Helen.xxx.

5. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hi helen
    have just read this post from the beginning & i want to wish you & Bob all the best.
    will no doubt 'chat' to you some more asking all sorts of stupid questions!
    What time do you get up in the morning!!! it's still night time for me!
    we have some solar spots too. got them from NoFrills (don't know if you have these shops in yorks), i think they were 10 for �£15 or something. not the best but they have added a bit of colour (they're blue lights) & light at night. just a couple of problems though - we have a lamp-post right at the bottom of our small, fairly open garden so it's lit at night anyway!, i am not usually up that late at night to appreciate them, although i do look out of the bedroom window at them sometimes and lastly now it's getting dark earlier & i would be up, the blooming sun doesn't come out enough to light them much. Ha, Ha.
    keep up the good work
    regards
    sandra

6. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hiya helen hope bob slows down a little seems your doing so much take it easy and keep us posted on how its coming on.you better stop soon coz you dont want that jack frost up your leg [​IMG]

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there Sandra nice to 'meet' you I suffer from terrible back problems and once I awake at night I'm in too much pain to get back to sleep but a couple of cuppa's and a few tablets helps me get warmed up for around dinner time!

My solar spots are lovely and bright and unlike most solar lights mine do indeed light things up just like a touch, although when I get up at 4am because they are so bright and use so much energy the lights are no longer on. :(

Ste I can't seem to stop even when I'm not in the garden I'm talking about it, a police helicopter was circling our village yesterday right over our garden and Bob said even the coppers want to come and arrest me for illegally talking about gardening or was he just praying I would stop? [​IMG]

Too busy yesterday to take some pictures also I wanted to give the decking at the side another coat before I took some new pictures, not sure I'll get the chance today as it's raining cats and dogs....already seen a Tabby and two Yorkies but then again the Yorkies are mine....think I'ave gotta get the shotgun out for that Tabby though [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning all such a nice start to the day I even managed to get some pictures taken of our process.

From this....

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And what about this....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to bore you guys and girls there's more!

Notice how 'the girls' got into the photo shoot.

[​IMG]

A great set of pots all put together in a group of three I picked this and another set up for �£1.50 for the both!

[​IMG]

The decking is a bit of a mess and I am thinking of putting a sheen on it kinda like I did with this chair.

[​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here are my 'wildlife'....

A very dodgy looking squirrel which I brought for �£5.50

[​IMG]

Here's my effect does it look like a duck sitting on a nest to you?

[​IMG]

Oh and a silly heart for good measure.

[​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    WAIT there's more!

And now for the back garden....

Just getting started...

[​IMG]

The gravel's down and lines out for the border

[​IMG]

Border dug and nice 'good stuff' added before the plants...

[​IMG]

Notice my purple chairs and chimney pots!

This guy's watching the working progress!

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Got a lovely cordyline not as cheap as John's (who can beat the guy) but I'm happy with the price I paid.

Pepsi's just checking it out....

[​IMG].

Oh forgot to tell you my sweetpeas which I grew on my window sill have grown like crazy on the fence in the side garden.

[​IMG]

Helen.xxx.

14. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Looking good Helofadigger. [​IMG]

How long will it take to do the Squirrel ?

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks BM gonna give him a good old chop later but I have noticed he doesn't have any ears!
    Helen.xxx.