New lawn going brown

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by dsburny, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dsburny

dsburny Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No flowering, just similar to grass, only a browny red color, with a bit of a head on top. Agritox is basically NCPA, which is supposedly good for killing buttercups, which is why I sprayed it. I know it wasnt the best time of the year to be treating. I might try the fertiliser in spring and then try and get rid of the weeds once they are growing strongly. I will try and get some way of identifying the type of plant that is in those pictures as well before i treat it.

I'm sure you have to deal with amateurs like me all the time who dont know what they are doing, but I like to figure out and know what the problems are and how to solve them.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,311
    I find Weedol works well on Creeping Buttercups @dsburny. These weeds put out runners so it will need to be applied wherever they pop up. With perseverance they can be eliminated.

3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    We all started off green, its part of the joys of gardening. What you may find best is the weed may be local to your area and you might be able to track it down that way which local lawn companies will know.
    The Herbicide you used should not be used on lawns under a year of age and this Herbicide is not to be used in via a hand sprayer as per info below.
    More info can be found here but its not really for domestic use.
    http://technical.nufarm.co.uk/documents/Herbicide/Label/Agritox_labelinfo.pdf

Sheal has mentioned a domestic product that can be used and these really are the ones you should look at or again use a company that are trained in use of professional pesticides.
    You may have to pay once but a good company will give you plenty of tips like controlling buttercups by scarification if non chemical use is required. I do a fair bit of consultation in my year of work and its a good start for customers wanting to be more hands on.
    Some times chemicals cause more damage to turf than other aspects of turf related problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,295
      There are three different approaches that come to mind. Professional, do it yourself or don't do it.

Professional is the easy way to go but can be expensive (can always get a quote) but less satisfying if you like doing things yourself.

DIY is time consuming but can be done by using (carefully) domestic products or by taking a lot more time and working manually on sections at a time. I would be more inclined to work on removing the buttercups and leave the grass to be worked on when you have got rid of them.

My preferred option (as I'm lazy, stingy and have about half an acre of lawn) is to welcome the growing and spreading wildlife plants to my garden and just ask them to be green. :snork: Works for me! :thumbsup: Mine is at least 40% moss, 30% daisies, clover and a variety of plantlife that has come from the birdseed, and 30% grass. It all looks green when I cut it. :noidea: Over the years I have gradually dug out all the buttercups.