1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest,

It's all happening here!

The discussion about the recent changes to the Recipes forum continues - Recipes Sub-Forum Discussion, and the ideas and recipes are flowing in - don't be shy, join in!
    Or, why not learn something from our very own resident CHEF!

AND

Photo Competitions are getting even better! New for 2018, we will have a Champion of Champions and we've got some other new ideas, and as always are open to your new ideas too - come and join the discussion!
    Dismiss Notice

New pond - size and location help please

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by glasgowdan, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I am right next door then! Your plan sounds lovely, and the pond looks big enough to attract wildlife, as well as being ideal to just sit and enjoy the garden. The little bridge is a great idea to separate your private sitting area. Can't wait to see your photos in spring and summer, when you have got more done. It's really taking shape.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII ADMINISTRATOR Staff Member

Semi-retired
      Ratings:
      +45,877
      That's cracking job, G.:love30::thumbsup::snorky: I trimmed the edges of the pond liner on my ponds, covered it with soil so grass and other plants could grow in it. I was lucky at the time as I used visit clients in Wales and found that a road was being blasted out of the Mountains in Bala. So I used to load up the Company Car with large Slate Boulders, weighing up to 80lbs, for free and then drop them off at my House before going back into Manchester.:heehee: I had to have a change of clothes to do the job as my normal work wear was a Suit and shiny shoes:doh: It was well worth the effort, and one really large, long, stone serves a step down into the Wildlife pond area. The pond will pay you back after all the effort by making you smile every time you see it in coming years. plus it will attract and serve the Wildlife.:love30::thumbsup::snorky:

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
        +60

Aaaah I'd love some massive slate slabs! I have looked around at every quarry I know of and access seems to be the main issue. Some of them are disused and have a lot of good rock lying about that wouldn't be missed as well.

Yes, I think I will tuck the liner under soil and get things growing to hide the edges and soften it all.

And agree with above, I think it's best not to put slate on top of the sandstone. I'll give it some thought.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII ADMINISTRATOR Staff Member

Semi-retired
          Ratings:
          +45,877
          It's amazing how quickly plants deiiberately planted and naturally seeded will cover the edges so you can't tell that it's not a natural pond.:coffee::snorky:

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Lazy slave
          Ratings:
          +8,162
          Coming along nicely there Dan :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
            Ratings:
            +2,258
            It's coming together :). Looking forward to more pics and updates.

• Agree Agree x 1