1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie with greenhouse!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Helen Evans, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I haven't even gotten the greenhouse yet and I'm obsessing! I've found 2 other spots where I could put other types of greenhouse should the need arise. I'm organising an electricity and water supply. The former because I may need to heat the thing and anyway, I need a plug for the tea kettle. Can't pot in a civilised manner without the brown liquid. I'm getting 3 lots of 3 level staging (not my photo)and am now thinking of pallets thanks to Mazambo's great idea. It also looks good. I have the winter to plan an irrigation system and my mind is turning to the idea of solar heating. You will also be interested to know that the greenhouse supplier complimented me on my choice of greenhouse windows and fittings etc. He didn't know I'm a complete beginner gleaning wisdom from a great forum of experienced gardeners.

Attached Files:

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,607
    1538304090419472228989.jpg 1538304121772-1054603804.jpg 1538304300285-448195875.jpg My little greenhouses are on 2x4 pressure treat wood frames. I left a gap in them to allow me to easily feed power lines and pipes under.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Welcome to the corner :sign0016:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
        +33
        Thanks for the tips CanadianLori. I've already secured 2 pallets. I just wondered if you found a difference between plants grown on top of power lies and those not. Interested in whether the exposure to EM fields makes a difference in your experience. The same with those close to water pipes. Some houseplants don't like to be above water carrying pipes or near electric cables.

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,607
        @Greybelle I'm afraid that I've never heard of either those circumstances being an issue. All of my greenhouse guests are in pots. They are super hot peppers and the pots are only about 4" off the floor to enable capillary watering to be used.

I have heard rumours of plants near powerlines with megavolts running through could have an effect but not measly little domestic lines.

• Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
        +33
        I have house some house plants that don't like to be near electrical sockets/outlets or positioned over utility water pipes. I know that having a bed positioned over water pipes can affect the health of some sensitive people and other people have problems with electro-magnetic fields generate by domestic power supplies in the house. We have 240v in the UK. I think Canada is 120v. Most of my plant guests will be in pots so its good to know you haven't had problems.

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,607
        We use both voltages. Plus I use solar powered leccy in the greenhouses to run fans and lights, etc.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        @CanadianLori superhot chillies used to be my forte, not growing but eating, there were 5 of us at work we had a kind of curry club, eating our way up to the carolina reaper, good memories, stomach cramps, the aftermath:hapfeet:but think i may try to grow some next year

• Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
        +33
        The Carolina Reaper sounds hot and grim as a chilli, mazamo. Is it hotter than the scotch bonnet? My best, grown as a house plant, has been the Peruvian lemon drop. :phew:
        I'm hoping to get to grips with solar power for the greenhouse next summer, CanadianLori, so I'll be looking for tips and experience.
        The greenhouse is being delivered tomorrow. Not sure when it is being put up but soon I hope.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        @Greybelle I think it's still the hottest at the moment, definitely hotter than a scotch bonnet that said the scotch bonnet still remains one of my favourite chillies a nice balance of flavour and heat.

• Like Like x 1
        • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,858
          The Carolina Reaper is 2,200,000 Scoville, whereas most Scotch Bonnets are 80,000–400,000 Scoville

• Agree Agree x 1
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,607
            @kazzawazza is correct. The reaper is the hottest. Bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) is next. Ive been groweing both for a number of years.

I also grow scotch bonnet, 7 pot yellow, choclate douglah, devil's tongue, red habanero, orange habanero, ring of fire and a couple of other kinds of scorpion.

All fun until you need to put your contact lenses in!

• Funny Funny x 2