Newbie with no cluebie!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by DavidMey, Mar 24, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Can you also clarify the point about potted plants @DavidMey ? We weren't clear on whether you just meant buying plants in pots or growing them completely in pots.
    Your location and general climate also helps with advice. No point in suggesting things that simply won't survive or thrive in your area.
    The soil under membrane/gravel won't be plant friendly so there's no point adding anything until you open that up and look at it - especially for something like lavender, for the reasons given above re soil and aspect. The size of the plants [ie maturity] is a factor too. A tiny plant put in unfavourable ground at this time of year isn't likely to do well, compared with one that is larger, and is going in a good site :smile:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,442
    Welcome to GC. :blue thumb: Photos of your front and back gardens would be of help to us in seeing what there is to work with. :)

As you can see, there are various, and numerous, solutions to the question you posed but an idea of the size available whilst leaving enough space for a child to play.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,996
      From the description of the "low maintenance garden" I am imagining it's all gravel/paving/artificial grass with no exposed soil to plant anything.

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,097
      Lavender likes a sunny spot with well drained soil. I have clay so I dug in compost before planting. I'm in SW France so there is plenty of sun!

They will need cutting back to a neat shape after flowering (or in spring if you live in a cold area) but as @AnniD said, don't cut back into old wood.