Night photos

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by borrowers, Mar 23, 2008.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Yes I agree Fantastic Photography The HDR shots are amazing. [​IMG]

2. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh jj,
    You're going to have to have a lot of patience here i think. ;)

Your photo's are great. I'm going to try & have a practice tomorrow.

cheers

3. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish you luck.Just remember,tripod,torch,try different lengths of exposure and enjoy it.
    Any problems,feel free to PM me.Might not be able to get back to you until Sunday though.
    Regards,
    Joe.

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Joe, i think your pic of the inside of your shed is Fantastic, [​IMG] ..

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    joe, i agree great photo of your shed, i went to newcastle last night and took pics of the bridges lit up and quite dissapointed at the outcome, the light on the millenium bridge looks great but everything behind them looks a bit fuzzy, maybe it was too dark and was thinking the best time to go would be at sundown.
    well done on your pic [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    took this in newcastle last night
    [​IMG]

7. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Rosa I personally think It Is a great Photo
    Everyone will have a different Opinion like they would have with a Painting,It has a Mood to It ,Its Subdued Enchanting and Realistic keep them coming. If it were mine I would be Pleased with It .If any more exposure was added to It I Think It would have spoilt It(that's only my Personal opinion) [​IMG]

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks woo, my other ones i took of the bridges in newcastle came out very dissapointing i took over 100 and every one came out awful, the light on the bridge looks great then everything in the backgrounds are distorted, unfortunately this one above is the best out of the lot. will put 1 up to show you and everyone and maybe i could get replies on what i did wrong.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    when i took these pics of the millenium bridge they looked fab on the camera screen till i downloaded them when i got home and saw this in the background
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    all about 70 came out like this, the bridge changes colours and i was so excited to catch the colours like rainbow effect then this, can anyone tell me what happened

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    You've got a bit of camera shake Rosa.

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    is that what it is DaveW i cant believe this nearly every pic is like this, yet all my day time ones are perfect

13. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Rosa I am not sure what setting you had your Camera on,But when the camera is on a night time setting To enable the small amount of available Light to enter the Lens the shutter has to open and shut at a very slow speed (15th of a second or less)That being the case when anything even your Camera moves a fraction It will appear Blurred in the finished Photograph,where as in Day time photography
    in normal light the shutter will open and shut very quickly(60th of a second or above)as there Is much more available light that will enter the Camera Lens very quickly.
    It Is best to use a Tripod or some form of support so that the camera doesn't move which does happen to all of us when you push the camera button when taking the actual shot. when I take Night shots I probably get 6 acceptable shots out of 30 or more hope this Is of some help to you if not email me anytime I have just read this back to myself and I,m confused:) :confused: :D [​IMG]

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    woo i just had it on auto with it being dark i couldnt find night time setting so this could of been a factor also, this new kodak camera hasnt got settings like my sony were you can turn the dial at the top.

15. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    WOO's summed up camera shutter speed for you Rosa.
    I just had a look at the EXIF data for the photo of the bridge and the shutter speed was 1/2 (half) second which is very slow and bound to cause shake without a tripod and also without use of the self timer unless you have a very light touch on the button.
    The Night Landscape mode on your Kodak will not help reduce shake, all it does is supress the flash and set focus at infinity.
    There is a Digital Image Stablisation mode available (see page 11 of the manual), but I've doubts about how well it would cope with the amount of shake from a long night exposure. Worth a try though!
    I think your best bet for a non-fuzzy distant night shot would be to put the camera on a tripod (even a mini tripod would do), set it for night landscape and use the self timer to trigger the shutter.