No dig gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Goldenlily26, May 19, 2024.

1. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I love your very respectful phrases "reduced gardening" and "natural incursions". Unfortunately my health situation is I have to learn to reduce substantially any activity I might think of attempting. Not easy when I have always charged around doing my own thing!
    Finding a gardener who knows what they are doing is almost impossible, there are a lot of people who are slash and burn merchants, the only one who came with a side kick, insisted on doing 4 hours work, of a good standard but then wanted to come every 2-3 weeks on a regular basis which my garden needs but at £10.00 per hour, each, I cannot afford
    I have always had a "wild corner" which has already begun to spread down the garden so I think that will be the way it is going to go. It has been like an excursion into the jungle to find the greenhouse.
    A cardiac nurse told me when I came out of hospital that I could drop dead without warning at any time, applies to all of us, or I could live another 5 or 10 years. At 83 I am going to take my chance and do what I can when I can.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,535
      No dig doesn't mean no weeding

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,980
        Apart from the veg patch where I can never get enough organic matter to even consider no dig, the rest of the garden is no dig.:smile:
        I just use glyphosate once a year to stop the perennial weeds getting a hold along with my own chips from winter prunings as a mulch.

• Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,983
        I do it in the allotment, can just about make enough compost yearly for it which comes to about 1500 litres. It does help that we get free manure a couple of times a year and loads of woodchip. The perennials only get woodchip around them, only the veg beds get compost

Beyond a small market garden I can't see many farmers being able to adopt it. Certainly works for me though, wish I'd started it sooner.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        This chap explains it quite well. There’s plenty of his videos available that show all aspects, including how to get started.

• Like Like x 2
        • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +1,151
          If your supply of fym and woodchip is plentiful , compost them together for application this autumn/next autumn , you will be on a winner !
          It is becoming widespread for arable farmers to accept woodchip and brash (and charge a gate fee to do so); to chip and compost for application to stubbles to build soil organic matter.
          Such as this one:
          Down Farm
          G K Benford & Co - Green Waste Composting, Biomass & Arable Farming
          @Adam I

• Adam I

Adam I Gardener

Hijinks
          Ratings:
          +182
          interesting! i think thats the one that surrounds the air base. i wonder if they own the field nearby we walk in, theyve just started what seems to be a walnut orchard there this year and they used a lot of mulch.