Now here's a challenge. What kind of gardener are YOU?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    I am similar to everybody else flowers - Veg - Fruit with the odd tree and some shrubs. One of my main attention going into Herbaceous perennial borders, I like planting them up so each plant complements the plants around it I am a constantly messing around moving plants here there and everywhere, I do prefer the more vibrant colour plate. I trying to avoid slug fodder but can't resist flower spikes like lupins and delphiniums.

I adore my Heleniums - Roses - Alliums most plants with spike flowers my kniphofia Tawny king been stunning this year, I adore near all my plants really except for the ones that don't preform which soon find their way to somebody else garden or composted, hemerocallis seem to hate me.
    DSC00002 (4).JPG
    I grow plenty of dahlia's which I now plant in pots ( slugs ), I then fill the pots with tulips / daffs and other spring bulbs with a few pansy / other for a bit of colour.

I grow hundreds maybe over a thousand bedding plants from seed every year along with some tomatoes - cucumber - melons maybe the odd other veg although the three I mentioned are fruit, not a big eater of veg but I do grow potatoes but I might not bother next year or go for a unusually variety.

Grow a few exotics / jungle plants got my first ginger lily this year no flowers maybe next, I could do with more canna's and I have grow the odd bannana / ensete.

The lawn takes up a hell of lot of time, its only small but I will mow it least 3-5 times a week if I have to. I recently fell out with the lawn and killed it off and reseeded this year, its a bit thin at the moment but hopefully by June next year it might be half as good as Wimbledon :fingers crossed:.

Grow a bit of fruit love my strawberries also grapes - raspberries - red / white currants - blue berries - apples.

When I win the lottery I probably have a go at most garden styles bit like a room sytstem but not with the huge tall hedges like monty, I do like formal gardens along with my other styles. I would have a large Hot garden surrounded with a purple beech hedge though, a giant glass house for my exotic plant collection etc .

I am a full time gardener/ plant acholic no distractions so most of my free time can be in the garden or the greenhouse , when I not in the garden I am looking at plants. I tend to buy more unusual / new variety's / harder to grow plants now, I am still a bit annoyed about my meconopsis being purple not blue which I wanted. I've turned into a bit of a impatient gardener as well, can't be doing with plants that can take donkey years to get going or flower :nonofinger:

• Like Like x 7
    • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
      Ratings:
      +2,369
      Up until a year or so ago gardening was a chore for me. I tended to do the lifting and shifting jobs. Now that I have a bit more free time Ive started to enjoy my time gardening.

Plant preference is tropical / tropical feel and arid. We have a tropical area, a med. area and now planting an arid area. As for plants, it tends to be architectural stuff that I prefer.

This year I started growing from seed including veg and some tropical plants.

I already have a pile of seed packets ready to sow next year. I'll be growing melons for the first time which will be interesting.

• Like Like x 6