Now what?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fumanchu, Apr 15, 2024.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +458
    *****************************************************************************************
    This is my plan B . And the easiest option!

2. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +458
    *****************************************************************************************
    Yep, found that out already. Plan was originally to plant a gravel garden - but it's thick sodden evil black muck mixed with a LOT of gravel in there and seems to go down forever. I wouldn't mind growing on top of it but unsure how to do that.

3. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,460
    Probably wise! :biggrin: Hacking off the workers is not a good idea.

Homebase do some smallish paving stones (about 45x45 cms). Not sure if they deliver. Let me go and see ...

>>>>>>

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,460
      <<<<<<

Hmm, this is what I was thinking of, but they don't do deliveries of small numbers.

Homebase UK

• fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
      Ratings:
      +458
      I'm near Border Aggregates in Kelso and they seem to have everything for gardens and landscaping etc. I can phone them.. I do have a husband but he isn't into gardens and has a two seater sports car with a boot big enough to take only a large handbag so that's out! :biggrin::biggrin: TY xx

• Funny Funny x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,438
        Sorry @fumanchu - I didn't see your post from a week ago. I use saxifrages and arabis etc in the gravel. They're grown in pots or trays, then the whole thing is just placed on the gravel, with just a little bit of it moved away, depending on how thick a layer of soil they're in. There are some areas that had been the original slabbed and gravelled parts, so I can sometimes dig out a hole there to plant into, which works well enough.
        I've been renovating the pond edges during the better weather, and I had moved a couple of large pieces of a sedum that had just been plonked beside the pond, and moved one piece to a new site. They have a layer of soil that they had been growing in, so I just place that on the gravel. They're perfectly happy with that. :smile:

You can see some at the foot of this pic from last year, and the thrift on the right of them is also very happy there. That was just planted in a similar way.
        DSCF0081.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
          Ratings:
          +458
          Oh wow!! This def helps and inspires me. TY so much pet, this is really useful. I have a lot of saxifrage already around the back, and love the stuff. I've also looked up Veronica Georgia and find it's the stuff I've admired for years growing out of stone dykes.. will need to get some of that too. TYVM!

• fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
          Ratings:
          +458
          Birdbath from round the back developed a leak and I relocated it this morning. (via a wee trolley on castors and a bit of string tied on to pull it with :roflol:). Going to fill it with compost and pretty rockery plants

Attached Files: