Nuclear War either today or Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Apr 4, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    No one has the balls to start a nuclear war.. all talk no action. All these threats are pretty pathetic. It's like a little schoolboy on the yard calling the bully a wuss then running away.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Unfortunately I wouldn't be so sure. North Korea has form, as they say. Lets not forget that they had a bit of a massive war not so long ago, and that even when they were supposed to be at peace they shelled their neighbour, South Korea fairly recently just for the hell of it. They also sank a South Korean ship that was in international waters not so many years back, and they have the largest army in the world, with over a million troops in it.

America are obviously taking the current threat seriously. They've moved missile defence kit to the region. A wise move considering North Korea has moved missile gear into position to reach US outposts. A thing to consider too is that when allied forces are preparing for war, the news only reports a small proportion of the activity, so the news reporting that the US has moved anti-missile kit to the region probably translates to something like, the US has moved several war ships, numerous aircraft and countless people to the region.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,369
      well if they have any sense they'll realise that they're both miltary powers and could effectively cancel each other out if they take any action... myself I think it'll become another cold war. Both sides have a lot to lose.

But it's becoming quite like the dystopian future some where predicting.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,893
      I wouldn't be so sure of that Stephen, it depends on the minds behind it, which are usually driven. When talking doesn't happen that usually means war. The North Koreans dictate like others from the past and look how the world suffered then.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      I don't think its a case of not having the balls, I fear it is more a case of not having the sense to NOT start something off, certainly in NK's case.

I think all other countries realise that everyone would be losers one way or another if things were to kick off, but I wonder if NK are of the mindset that they have next to nothing to lose?

Lets be honest, if they do kick off and then get a damned good hiding as a result, sure as hell once it was all over the 'international community' would be in there like a shot rebuilding infrastructure and sharing technologies of the likes most North Korean's have never seen.

In the unlikely event that they were to win - then they would surely take whatever technologies they could from their opponents? Sure, they would have to make do with whatever was left, but there is a strong likelihood that even those remains would be a considerable advancement for NK?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I strongly suspect that we will all wake up one morning in the not too distant future, flick the news on while we get ready for work, to news of a massive and decisive strike against North Korea.

I doubt very much there will be a long drawn out build up to it like there was with the last Iraq war. There'll be some propaganda and light mockery perhaps, but then it will just kick off swiftly. I'm told it has to happen that way, because it has to be under control before the rest of Asia has chance to mobilise.

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,369
      A better scenario, but an unlikely one was the North Korea would lose, the world would unite given the attrosities that occurred and would become more community driven... but I know that's a naive standpoint to take and will never happen!

• Like Like x 1
      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,837
        I have a nagging fear that says "China" . I think they are pro NK?
        They are Bullyboys and it doesn't bear thinking about if they come into the ring. Any escalation involving nuclear, germ or any other type of non conventional warfare will effect everyone sooner or later surely?
        I pray for good sense and peace before it gets out of hand,
        Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1
        • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,386
          Me too xx

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,893
          China may be pro North Korea Jenny but they've got a difficult decision to make. If they back NK then they will lose there present trade with the western world.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,837
            They can survive without help from any exterior source Sheal. They are the force to be reckoned with. The thought of war with them would be the end of this world, I'm sure of that,
            Jenny

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
            +2,369
            Yes China have just signed up to a very lucrative contract with the trade centre here in Wirral.. that's worth a hell of a lot of money... they will not forsake that. China will see money before alliance.

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,893
              Yes they can survive without western trade Jenny, but will they want to lose what they have gained in recent years for the sake of one country.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,341
              The correct way to go is to take out NK then give NK to CHINA without any hassle
              China happy, we all happy threat has gone, and trade continues

Off course to do that it would have to be Non Nuclear, so the land is clean, which means conventional war, which is a problem due to the millions Just like last time that would kick back wave after wave, until we were swamped
              Problem whilst all the time taken to do this China joins in against us (by us I mean the West)

Jack McH

• HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,257
              How do we solve the problem of NK? : :scratch:

I think all participants should take a step or two back from the cliff edge and cool down a bit. War (conventional or nuclear one) will do no good to anyone - people involved in the immediate area will suffer from casualties and hardship, while others, like us here thousands of miles away will feel its impact via the economic instability it causes. I fully understand the safety concerns of SK and Japan, also the Americans' wish to protect its interests in the region. As far as China is concerned, it is really not happy about what NK is doing. Peace and stability is what China need for its continued economic development. The last thing China wants is to be dragged into a war by a mad Korean. (I was born in China and my family still lives there so I understand a bit about how Chinese people think about this issue.)

I personally believe what NK doing is just a kind of cry for help. At the end of a hard winter it has probably run out of food and essential daily supplies. Kim Jong-un went to China a few weeks back and might have not got enough to keep the country going. By creating this crisis, it can then say - "I will stop the war if you give me ...", without the feeling of ' losing face'

I'd prefer it if there were no war anywhere and we could get on with our gardening in peace.:spinning:

:paladin:I hope the GC website has got a good firewall to keep out those oriental cyber hackers who're going to be taking an interest in posts on this topic:paladin:

• Agree Agree x 1