1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Obesity.Diabetes 2. Junk Foods. GMO's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, May 12, 2018.

1. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    But I like rhubarb with my sugar! :heehee:....I'm joking of course....pass the custard! :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Many thanks folks for your comments, all appreciated.
      I am sure that Beckie feels much better now, having got that off her chest. Yes, there's a lot to be said about today's life style. So much like the throw-away world we live in, easy come easy go. What happened to school children and PT lessons? Why aren't kids being taught how to cook? Might it be because mum can't cook so can't pass on the knowlege.
      It appears that this thread has attracted the most attention towards Junk food. Interestingly, I did a search on Junk food. Honestly. You can't help asking. What can I eat then? For instance. Fish & chips...out. Sandwiches...out. Chinese ( chinese dishes, not the Chinese) Please take time to check it out. To think some of us used to go off to work with sandwiches for meal break, the filling might have ranged from jam through dripping to whatever. We are still here.
      Back to obesity. OK. Baby is six months old, happy and much loved. Medics refer to charts etc. Baby is.....obese. Search for cause. It's got to relate to what's passed on genetically or what the baby is now being fed.
      I have to be honest. My main interest in this subject relates to GMO's. Yes Lori I do know what they are, aside from having worked, studied horticulture and plant sciences for most of my life (no offence intended). My aim was to perhaps draw attention to, not what we eat etc but what is in, what we eat. My/our friend Nigel added such a fine comment, thank you. Nigel mentioned a noted increase in diabetes 2 as far back as 1950's. From my research a later date has come up. The 1990's. From the info. Not only was there a marked increase in Diabetes 2, but also the figures increased rapidly for obesity. Parralled to this. Although GM had been in the news, it was around the 1990's that attention was drawn to the link. So the question is. or perhaps a few questions.
      At what point do the effects of Gene modification stop. Feed given to cattle. Rhey grow more, produce more etc. OK. You drink a pint of cows milk. You enjoy a tasty sirloin steak. Apart from the end article, is it possible that the working parts of the GMO are infact still active. Answers on a postcard please.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Cuddly and hugable.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,339
          @Mike Allen Minor point I referred to the past 50 years not the 1950's. As for what to eat everything in moderation works for me, tend not to snack between meals, although can be tempted by a couple of dark chocolate digestives, avoid fizzy drinks and shop bought desserts and cakes.
          Fortunately the effects of genetic modification are not passed on through eating the produce. The digestive system works wonders in breaking things down to their basics.
          There isn't that much genetically modified produce in shops; their have been a lot of headlines and scare stories, but the path from the lab to the supermarket shelf has been very narrow. In many cases genetic modification has not produced significant increases in yield compared to traditional breeding. Some GMO's have been used to produce specific medical products (high value). They have also been used in drug production to produce compounds by fermentation, yeasts and bacteria are easier to modify.
          This may change with more modern techniques.
          As for feeding the world and protecting the environment: reducing waste at all stages of food production would be a big help as would eating more vegetables and less meat. Insect protein is an upcoming thing, waste food goes into maggots, maggots dried cleaned and crushed and you have a high protein feed. Algae are another developing area and quorn production is increasing. Indoor farming in warehouses using growlights and hydroponics to produce salad crops is an expanding area.

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,946
            If growth hormone are used does the hormone get pasted on through the meat to the human??
            In USA they were feed (not sure if it's used now)the grow hormone up to when the bullock is killed, in the uk you must stop 21 day (not sure if it's used now) before bullock is killed to feed the humans

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              When genetically modified crops etc were more in the ''news'' I think people showed more concern, but it seems to be a general trait for us to just shrug and accept what is happening now. People use the modern expression :dunno::dunno::dunno: 'wotever'
              I remember eating bread and dripping regularly - with a bit of salt. Lovely - but dripping doesn`t taste the same now.

A few years ago I joined weightwatchers and lost a couple of stone fairly quickly. I had chatted to our (now retired) GP who told me '' No fat people came out of Belsen '' - - a comment which has stayed with me ever since !!

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                I`ll bet not many of us actually know the answer to that @Jiffy. Something we DO know though, - around here where I live, the fields have been sprayed with something that has resulted in several dogs ending up at the vet hospital. We are keeping our pets away from the fields as much as possible to avoid them becoming ill. What happens to all that stuff (whatever it is) when it is in the resulting food?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  Last edited: May 14, 2018
                • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,435
                  @Mike Allen......I wasn't so much 'getting it off my chest' it's the truth, until we go back to basics regarding our eating habits the obesity/diabetes problem is only going to increase :sad:. I just picked out a few things which aren't helping society today :gaah:, I did however miss my other top pet hate.....energy drinks/red bull/monster etc ! What on gods earth are they all about? Why would you even need to drink one of those?? They are going to be a major factor in bad health in years to come, they cannot be good for your health :nonofinger:
                  I'm going to be quiet now :whistle: because you want to talk about GMO's & my post has nothing to do with those! :whistle: Sorry! :thud:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,169
                    GM food is not grown in the UK and not much is imported, so there can be no link between that and Diabetes in this country.

Why are fish and chips and sandwiches out? I wouldn't class any of those as Junk food, Nothing wrong with fish and chips (has good proportions of protein, carbohydrate and fat). And sandwiches are also a balanced meal, use brown bread, proper butter and tinned oily fish and you have a very healthy meal. Maybe a take-away Chinese contains junk if it's made from poor quality ingredients, but we all know where the good ones are in our local areas and avoid the poor ones.

Maybe you are mixing them up with fast food ?

I reckon Junk food is anything overly processed like Turkey twislers and pot noodles containing too much salt and E numbers and no nutritional value.

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                      Ratings:
                      +21,339
                      @Jiffy yes growth hormones can be absorbed by people from treated beef, I'm not sure what effect this has on people. A couple of cyclists and other sportsmen have blamed hormone treated beef for failing drugs tests.
                      A bigger issue, in my opinion, is the use of antibiotics to increase growth rates in food animals, this leads to increasing antibiotic resistance in micro organisms.

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                        Ratings:
                        +21,339
                        @Beckie76
                        They are a way of making money out of the caffeine removed from coffee to make "healthy" decaffeinated coffee. Are they bad for you: yes too many are definitely not good especially if consumed in "Jaegerbombs"
                        It is a bit like skimmed milk and cream when I was growing up the vast majority of milk was full fat and had to be shook to mix the cream in. Then we were told that full fat milk was"unhealthy" and we should all switch to semi or fully skimmed milk; at this point the price of cream fell and it stopped being a luxury for special occasions.

• Like Like x 4
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,497
                          Oh yes you are! ;) :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,497
                            Not necessary to keep quiet as the thread title includes diabetes 2, obesity and junk foods as well. I agree that junk food seems to be a major contributor to the first two problems. Whether GMOs contribute is beyond my knowledge but I think that if it is a contributor it's only a small one in this country.

Foods, in moderation are a major factor in avoiding diabetes and obesity but we still need to try and keep off the bad diets. Junk food is a big concern because of its constituents. Lack of cooking ability seems to be a major fault in modern times :dunno: and I agree that cooking, food technology and related subjects should be back on the curriculum.

I try to avoid junk foods completely but they are so convenient at times. I had my first burger in at least five years on Monday as we were visiting a garden and the only choices were burger, hot dog or nothing. It tasted lovely :). I had some fried chicken wings last month on the way between meetings but that was the first time this year. I call that moderation. :blue thumb: :pathd:

We eat out regularly but, nowadays, pick a healthier option. There's no real need for lots of fatty, sugary, salty meals. Chinese food, when I cook it (usually once a week), is very healthy. Lean chicken (breast), loads of veg and all stir fried in very little olive oil. All my cooking is based on trying to, but not always succeeding, in keeping the sugars, fats and carbs fairly low. This can be done cheaply and quickly so I think modern parents have little excuse for not doing this and not instructing their children in it.

Having said all that, I'm overweight because I just eat too much even though it's mainly good foods. I have a BMI of 26 and am working at reducing weight, and have lost 11lbs this year. If I can do it then others can.

So, I manage to keep off most junk food, fortunately don't have diabetes, am not obese (fighting to get further down the scale, away from obesity) but have no idea how much GMOs I'm consuming. My main failing in the recommended way to avoid obesity and diabetes is that I don't do enough exercise. Being a doddery old fogey I have some excuse but children and younger adults shouldn't be able to claim that excuse.

Eat healthier, cook better, avoid junk food, exercise and stay healthy. It's not rocket science and attainable by most! :old:

• Like Like x 3
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                              Ratings:
                              +31,946
                              2 minutes and ping

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                                Ratings:
                                +86,035
                                My one problem, I drink too much beer.
                                Food wise I never touch junk food, eat mostly fish, with just the occasional meat.

I do like chips though, home cooked and not those nasty oven chips.
                                One of my 5 a day.

Oh, and the odd cream cake, but real cream not that nasty artificial stuff.
                                Jam doughnuts, with raspberry jam, another of my 5 a day.

Big chunks of cheese, good for calcium.
                                Yep, I'm pretty healthy.:)
                                Just got a bad back:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 4
                                • Like Like x 1