Oh no! Is this bindweed?!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by waiting for the weather, May 1, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Its a good and effective trick. I did that in my last bindweed war.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I find Roundup more effective than "generics" too, I suspect that the surfactants used are more effective (and perhaps, therefore, more expensive). It might also be the case that the dilution / application rate is different, so worth cheeking the bottle in case Roundup will treat a larger area than the generics. But Roundup is THE brand name for Glyphosate, so price may be higher just because of that.

I don't think that spraying twice a week is necessary, just costs more!, but if you only have a small patch to do that won't be a consideration. It takes 2 weeks for the chemical to be absorbed and taken down to the roots, so you are unlikely to see indications that the plant is dying for a couple of weeks.

My variation on growing it up a cane, so you can lay it out (away from precious plants) to spray it, is to stuff the end of the extended plant into a jam-jar and pour in a little Roundup mix. The plant will then absorb it over time, and that should then be taken down and distributed along the whole root system :thumb:

3. waiting for the weather

waiting for the weather Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks again everyone, some great tips here.

I bought some Roundup "XL" today and went out spraying. Turns out there are about 9 of these plants around the garden, mostly coming in under/through the fence from the neighbours.

Love the tip around the bamboo pole, think I'll definitely give this a go, especially as the bindweed seems to be attacking my plants already!

Will post back with an update. I suspect it'll be an ongoing battle- especially if it's coming in from the neighbours.

Every time I close my eyes now I see bindweed :( I even dreamt about the stuff last night!

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    How much did you foolishly pay for your Roundup?

5. waiting for the weather

waiting for the weather Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ha well, yes, I'll admit I paid around £6.50 for a big ready to use spray pack of Roundup XL... I did see some no-brand stuff on special offer for £2.99, but I was drawn in by the exciting packaging and promises of two super nozzle settings and suchlike. And there seem to be some Roundup fans on the thread, so I'm paying a little extra for the hope that it'll be super stuff :) And as I only have a small garden, I think it'll see me on for a while!

I did end up paying around 7 quid for some slug pellets when I didn't check the price until I saw it on the receipt... and all that just because it said 'eco' or something on the packet. THAT was pretty foolish...

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    If you're neighbours are nice, approachable people, I'd have a word with them. See if you can attack the bindweed on their side too. Otherwise it will just keep coming back.