Old cine films

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Michael Hewett, Dec 29, 2022.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,105
    Good to know that things are going backwards as I probably thought they were.
    its a bit like buying a car and having to buy a radio as an extra, now when did that last happen.

I think tech companies must be the lowest of the low these days but they like most companies get away with the minimum they can for the maximum amount of money.

Nearly as bad as my local council.;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +49,416
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +49,416
      It produces video that plays back at 30 fps, he uses the software to change the speed back to the original 18fps. Also this one doesn't record the sound, all our old family cine films had no sound.

After it's been digitised you need to give some thought about editing it, e.g. trimming off the bits where the camera is taking shots of the ground, or uninteresting sequences. There are some movie editing software packages out there to do that. You can just leave it as the original.

Over Christmas I extracted some video sequences from my old family cine films, for an old friend who wanted to see her children when they were playing with ours. I just use the standard Windows Photo app to trim off unwanted bits.

• JWK

Ratings:
      +49,416
      @pete I did this myself a few years back. I bought an SVHS player off ebay. SVHS was the best quality player format, it takes VHS and the smaller VHS-C cassettes (with an adaptor). I also bought a DVD recorder and connected them together via a Time Base Corrector (all off ebay). The TBC gives a much more stable picture.

I ended up with several DVDs, mostly there was one DVD per VHS tape, but some of my VHS tapes were extra long and needed two or more DVDs to store it all on.

I compared mine with a sample tape I had professionally digitised and I thought mine was better, plus the studio chopped off the start of my test video. So I decided to DIY, it saved a lot of cash but took a lot of time setting up. I sold the equipment back on ebay for about what I paid for it.

I had a quick look on ebay for the equipment I used and found this:
      Daewoo DF4150P DVD Recorder Player VCR Combo - Transfer VHS to DVD & DVD to VHS | eBay

It's a VHS to DVD recorder all in one box, old but would be much easier to use I guess. The drawback is all this sort of equipment is going to be on its last legs. Maybe you can buy a new one?

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +93,105
        Thanks John, certainly worth thinking about. :blue thumb:
        Interesting that you can actually get it in one machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +19,538
          • Friendly Friendly x 3
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +49,416
            You need at least two copies, don't risk leaving important files in just one place. Computer internal disks can fail and external memory devices can too. Even DVDs are vunerable e.g. if dropped or fire and flood. I keep an up to date copy of all my stuff at my son's house so I can restore everything if the worst thing should happen.

Once Mrs JWK's laptop got infected with a ransomware virus. All her files including photos were encrypted by the virus and not accessible, the virus put up a message saying to pay the ransom in bitcoins. I wiped her machine and restored from a backup so we recovered ok.. I have heard some people and businesses have actually paid the ransom to get their files back.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,322
              Very wise, reminds us of the days we worked on the big IBM mainframes, we would store copies of the tape reels in another building as well as a couple of generations in house.

There are so many free and easy to use System Backup programs out there, but so few folk bother to use them, yet feel so bad if their pc becomes infected or the system corrupted by some windows update etc.

eg - Top 10 Best Free Backup Software | BestBackupReviews.com

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Michael Hewett

Retired
                Ratings:
                +19,538
                @JWK @ricky101 I have two external drives and I was also thinking of having discs. The films would probably fill several discs.

The films were taken from 1961 to 1973 and have lots of local history interest on them, such as events that happened in our village, eg when they blew down three tall chimney stacks belonging to the old tin works. You can see buildings that no longer exist, fields where there are now industrial estates and houses. Several people have asked me if I've still got the films and one person wanted me to give them to her.
                She's not having them !

Because of the local history interest I was thinking of giving a copy of those particular films to the county archives, and also to the National Library of Wales. I understand they're looking for anything like that for their collections.

Some things like holidays weddings etc would only be of interest to me and my family, and maybe I'll give copies to a few cousins, of parts where their parents and grandparents are to be seen.

• Like Like x 2
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +49,416
                  They do sound interesting Michael. You might be able to get help with digitising them as did my cousin, who has a big collection taken in the late 1950s to 60s. As well as family he took lots of film of the village show, steam railways and farming sequences. One particular film he took is the only movie of a train on a local line that was axed by Beeching, it's unique. The railway museum at York were interested (he lives near there) and converted all his collection. The deal was they have the rights to the local interest films when my cousin passes away. The family films are going to be kept private.

You might be able to find a local history group who could help you. I know you don't want to let someone else digitize them, maybe a trustworthy local institution would help.

My cousin has spent a lot of time identifying all the locations and most of the people. The films have still frames where the names have been added to the film. They do make interesting viewing as things have changed out of recognition since the 50s, clothes, cars and places.

• Michael Hewett

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +19,538
                  Thank you @JWK, very interesting ... yes someone local may be able to help. There are several local history groups about, although I don't entirely trust the people running them. I'll have to look into it.
                  I'll also have to think of ways of identifying the people etc.

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +49,416
                    If you don't trust them then don't part with them :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1