Olea problems

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nickoslesteros, Sep 15, 2024.

1. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Yes, as above. What a shame. Unfortunately that is part of being a gardener. It explains why the tree is dying off. It is a bit unusual to see an olive with so many branches coming from soil level. They are usually sold on an upright stem.
    It is up to you whether you want to persevere with the sucker or dig it all out and start afresh. It is very expensive to buy large specimens and much more difficult to get them established because they need staking etc. especially if we continue to have such stormy winters.

2. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm starting to think when the storm the other year snapped off one of the stems that it was the beginning of the end.

I think past year or so a combination of mg lack of knowledge and the peculiar weather has taken its toll on a few of the plants here.

I'm in two minds. The sucker is a tiny thing on a funny angle, carrying a huge amount of weight. I might see what spring brings.

Or - I have always fancied a multistem silver birch. It would give me space. Though, I can't really afford that right now. It's just a shame as it's left a huge gaping gap in the border.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +23,906
      Buy a younger (cheaper ) multistem silver birch and plant now then you can get rid of the olea later?

• Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
      +56
      @Loofah . That's really not a bad idea. I'll see if I've the space for both to be in the ground...