Ongoing woodland walk project.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by EddieJ, Feb 25, 2010.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089

Wouldn't like it! You obviously haven't seen whats tucked away in my garage!!:D

[​IMG]

2. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    :hehe::hehe: Could certainly do with one of those.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :lollol: Oh Eddie you are a breath of fresh air...!!!! I just love your attitude & take on life..!! You certainly have a talent & an eye for all things wooden & definitely not afraid of hard work, hard-living & hard-play... An inspiration to us all I think.. :yho: I just love the gazebo to with the idea of the oven in the back..!!! Ahhhh can almost smell the garlic bread & pizzas as well as the daily loaf...!!!!! Roll on summer then is it..??? :yho: Shall expect an invite of course..!!!!! :rotfl:

:wink: Not near Chichester are you as I have a friend who does similar work to you there.. :wink:

4. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Eddie, i just love your gardens and all the work that you've done, just beautiful, i cant wait to see some more pics when everything is in bloom.

Well done.

5. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Sometimes I scare myself with all of my ideas.:D
    I somehow come up wit fresh ones on an almost daily basis. I'll start another thread to list them.:)

As for being near Chichester.. I'm not, but let me first take a guess at your friends name. MMM... I reckon that it could be either be Shaun or Will?

Thanks for the kind words.

Sadly, the garden still looks like a bomb has hit it as we have been refurbishing the house for the last two years. Prior to us being here, nothing had been done to the garden for nearly 20yrs and really it hasn't been touched properly since the early 70's!!

The garden at our last house was lovely though, and I'll try find some photos of it to show you. :)

6. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    That would be great, i would love to see some pictures from your other garden.

7. Agatha_M

Agatha_M Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Eddie, I've just spotted your woodland project and I must tell you how lucky you are with such a spot where a lot of mature trees surround you! It must have been a tough job clearing away 30ys of growth, but with a new layout and planting the place will eventually evolve into a fabulous woodland garden...

Have you thought of trying to grow Acer palmatums there? Contrary to their reputation of messy plants I found them very easy to grow and there are so many of these varieties you could actually fill your plot with nothing else but Acers! And there are Hydrangeas to fill your borders with, and even some refined varieties of the good old Rhododendrons and Azaleas. Aruncus, Aquilegia, Astrantia and variegated Hosta with Astilbe chinensis would all look in place. If you add some more ferns, Brunnera and Corydalis for spring interest, you cannot go wrong and fill the space up in no time. :D

Btw, I just loved the pic of the tiny fachwerk house...:thmb: Did you actually build these beauties all by yourself?

8. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Brilliant suggestions there, and many thanks for them.:)

And yep... I do all of my timber framing by myself. I'm lucky enough to have a workshop on a family run sawmill and farm. The wood comes straight from the mill into my workshop, and I do the rest.:)

In respect of the woodland walk, and really the veg plot as well, I have been busy for the last couple of days putting up some gates as the start of the badly needed 'deer deterrent' scheme. Laurels grow like weeds here, so I have also dug up many young plants and made a hedge all the way around. Obviously I still need to put some netting up, but its a start.

I've had the posts and gates knocking around for what must be the best part of four months. Just with one thing and another, I haven't found the time until now to fit them!:(

When I made the posts, I cut them at just over 2.4m long allowing 1.1m in the ground. The digging was horrendous with all four holes containing a mixture of solid sandstone and roots. I'm getting too old for this game!!!:D

The posts were painted with two coats of bitumen paint below and just above ground, with the remaining length treated to three coats of danish oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Agatha_M

Agatha_M Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's really quality woodwork for your lovely woodland! :hehe: I do feel this plot cries out for Hydrangeas to be planted all along the drive, blue-flowered serratas and macrophyllas as well!

Why did you have to dig such a deep hole for the posts? Deers? Gatecrashers? :o