onions & shallots from seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mums retreat, Nov 14, 2007.

1. oldgitpete

oldgitpete Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    True shallots (produced in the traditional way from bulbs) have a dry matter content of 20 - 25% - i.e. more stored starch, sugars, etc - which is why they are favoured by all those TV cooks. Ordinary onions, produced from seed or sets, have only 10 - 15%. Seed occasionally produced by true shallots, and the 'shallot seed' sold in the catalogues give bulbs with the same dry matter content as ordinary onions - they may look like shallots in size and colour, but they ain't the real thing!

Some kinds of garlic can under some conditions produce seed, but most of the literature on this refers (whether it is acknowledged or not) to 'elephant' or 'jumbo' garlic, which is a form of leek. It may have its merits, but, again, it ain't the real thing.

2. Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
    +303
    I am really pleased with my shallots from seed which I have never grown before. They are more like onions for size. I would like to get some to flower so I can collect my own seed. Anyone done this? Any tips?

3. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    Which variety have you grown ? Are they described as 'open -pollinated ' ? Only have experience of Zebrunne (from realseeds); understand that they are really an onion and will not divide like a 'real' shallot. If their traits are as onion, it may be possible to replant next season , when one could expect that it would flower, and possibly produce seeds but have not tried that (yet !)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,995
      I've collected seeds from onions, replant in the early spring or just leave in the ground over winter. You'll need at least half a dozen plants to cross pollinate each other, some will self pollinate, not sure about shallots, never tried.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,090
      I wouldn't bother, they are not that expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
        +303
        I know Pete, but it's the challenge! I want to see what I get. The ones I grew were an F1 so they will be F2 generation, not the same but still shallots. I could pick the best to grow in future, we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,090
          I'm all for experiments, just grow some of known performance at the same time. :smile:

• Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
          +303
          I might well do that, Pete!