Orchids and billbergia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rich, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    That's lovely, DaveP, and I'm sure will look a treat in a hanging basket.

I'm just so pleased with mine and really was surprised to see it in flower. It seemed to shoot up within a week! Thank you again.

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    DaveP, that is really lovely. I used to have one of these many years ago out in the Wintergarten and it used to bloom no end.

Lofl, once I get the hang of using the digi and getting the pics into the PC, and then here and there, back and forth, do this and that, don't do this or that, ......... I will gladly put up photos of the house, garden, my darling Gato, etc. You all will have to be patient with me. At the moment, we are still in the throes of sorting out things, discarding some, finding new homes for others, due to the big change in the office and all the work involved. I hope that another week will see us finished with it all.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    DaveP, I am tempted to buy a Billbergia Pyramidalis Striata offshoot, have you any experience of this one as regarding growing it outside?. When I had a large collection of Bromeliads in the 80's I never thought about trying them outside, now is the time perhaps, starting with a Fasicularia Bicolor I have just acquired.

4. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Billbergia pyramidalis tends to be one of the more tender species so the variegated form may not cope well out of doors in the UK. However, if you can get hold of 'Santa Barbara' or nutans 'variegata' you are almost guaranteed success.

Fascicularia has been tried and tested as a garden plant in many parts of the country for quite a few years. There are two forms; F. bicolor ssp. canaliculata has quite narrow leaves, often to more than 50cms. long, but no more than 1.5cm. across that are channelled on their upper surface. This is the hardiest form and is variously grown as an epiphyte or lithophyte as well as directly in the soil. F. bicolor ssp. bicolor is an altogether bulkier plant with broader (to 4cms.across), flat surfaced leaves. It is more prone to damage in frosty weather and may need overhead protection in some regions.

Both forms develop into sizeable clumps to well over 3m. across in time and are best planted in full sun if you want them to flower freely. Just so that others know what we're about, this is F. bicolor. ssp bicolor. For me it is a sort of 'heritage plant' because the original (then a rooted offset) was given to me 35 years ago. That plant is in my mother's garden and this clump was just a single offset that I brought back to Devon in 2001. The clump is now well over 1m. across and it flowers every year.

Fascicularia bicolor ssp. bicolor

[​IMG]

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Thanks Dave, I will have a look for the other Billbergias (I only have Windii).
    Fasicularia, I think mine is the narrow leaved variety, it is in 7/8CM pot with 10 offsets around the base, I think I will leave them on as it will be repotted in a larger wide clay pan with a gritty mix.
    I was going to say I cut my teeth on Bromeliads back in the 60's at Rochfords House Plants working with Aechmeas etc but I cut my hands and arms more. :D

6. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ah those were the days - I remember being shown around by Jock Davidson many moons ago. It was at the 'launch' of a new, very compact Poinsettia. Jock was also highly enthusiastic about the new 'pot plant'; Schefflera arboricola - Heptapleurum as it was then. Little did I think that years later, I would be treating that as a garden plant!

With regard to your Fascicularia. I'd strongly recommend you to plant it out, rather than keep it in a pan. It really is extremely hardy and thrives almost anywhere. It makes a magnificent clump when given free root-room and in sunny spot, will flower well. Of course there's then the problem of weeding around it, which will remind you of your days with those Aechmeas. Still, nothing is as bad as trying to work close to a clump of Puya alpestris. The leaves on that are utterly lethal and designed solely to rip flesh :eek:

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    'Jock' was my boss as I started there in the Show Houses in '68, took me to RHS shows and Chelsea a few times. Always used to call me Clivia, must be something to do with my first name. :rolleyes:
    I might plant the Fasicularia out as you suggest.

8. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    My son bought gave me a an early birthday gift and yes an orchid.I am so thrilled.

My first time to have the pleasure of an orchid plant and really want to be able to keep her growing would be so grateful of do and donts on how to water and if I need special feed or need to spray.

Really enjoyed this thread.

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know what kind of orchid it is?

Most tend to like it a little on the dry side - I water mine about every 10 days, and give them a feed with dissolved orchid feed every two weeks or when I remember.

10. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Orchid Fran. Do you water from below or top and do you ever spray?

11. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Scotkat,
    WONDERFUL FLOWER YOU HAVE THERE...
    here is an old post of mine.
    I will post some more if I can...

orchids reproduce in a peculiar way: they produce some capsules which contains something like 10.000 to a few millions seeds that can only develop in the presence of a particular substance which is found in nature and it is artificially produced in laboratories.
    Only one of many seeds springs up and the flowers will come after 4 to 12 years.

Orchids need:
    1 - a lot of light
    2 - watering only if necessary and never for too long
    3 - very diluted fertilizer, more than double the usual proportions
    4 - high humidity in the air (50, 60%)

If there is not enough light, the plants will be floppy, with elonged dark green leaves and without flowers.
    If the light is too much, the leaves will be yellowish, sometimes presenting some darker areas

Some Himalayan varieties such as:"Cymbidium, Pleione and some Dendrobium (HELLO)" and some South American varieties are used to cold winters, therefore resist well the cold.

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    It's a Phaelanopsis, Moth Orchid, increasingly popular 'house plant' orchid.

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Scotkat - I water from the top and I do not spray. Seems to work for me.

The professional advise I heard, is to soak them in a bowl of water for 10 minutes, and then allow to drain.

14. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Its a week today snce I got my orchid have not watered her yet.She is still looking perfect should I water now.

15. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lift the pot and see how light it is - if light as air, then yes :D