Orchids and billbergia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rich, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hy, the Cambria is beautiful ... I love it! T'other half is in love with Dendrobium ( ... dendro ... are you out there listening). Zy is unique and your BD pressie is delicate.

You have to advise me on my Cymbidium ...

2. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    ... and here is my Cymbidium again, almost three months later having almost overnight shooting out three flower stems. The problem now is the spots on the leaves ... what is it and should I remove the affected leaves?

[​IMG]

Keeping to the title of this thread, recently I bought some more Bromeliads to add to my pot of Bilbergia which are thriving here outside in the shade. I got these other two for 1,75 Euros each (about �£1.19 for non converters). Although the flowers on the one on the right appears to have died, there are lots of new shoots. Can anyone identify these two for me, please ...

[​IMG]

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Guzmania, at least the red one is LoL, they should offshoot readily and then you will have some young ones to grow on. [​IMG]

4. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    I thought it might be strongy, thank you, and this afternoon at one of the DIYs they had the other one (I think) and it had yellow blending to red ... or vice versa ... flower heads on it. They all seem to come from Holland here and there are no definitive names on the packaging which is quite annoying.

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Same here LoL,no cultivar names and vague care info. There seems to be new ones every year and the plant breeders can virtually produce any colour they like.

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Thank you ... I think with the Dutch influx everywhere (no disparaging remarks about the Dutch) we seem to all have the same problems everywhere but they are wonderful for their growing/breeding ventures.

I would still like someone to assist me with me Cymbidium problem, please ... and thank you. [​IMG]

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Two of DiL's orchids in flower. Sorry, I forgot to make a note of the names. I'll edit them in at a later date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    So beautiful KG both but first is my favourite I am new to orchids and only have two.

But think I could get hooked easy.

9. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all, may I join your thread please [​IMG] I have two Phaelanopsis ( I'm pretty sure thats what they are). They have both come back to life after a period of about 6 months dormant. I have them in a window that gets as much sun as possible at this time of year. The problem is that the flower buds have been sitting on the stems for about 2 months or more without opening, in fact one has now dropped off. I spray a little rain water on the leaves and roots once a day to keep them moist. Is there anything else I can do to help them along?

10. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hello T you have the same as me one of which will be a year old in March.it bloomed until August of last year then stopped adn stated to coem ointo bud again November.

But now buds are dropping off they never opened in to a beautiful flower.

Would love to know the secret of how to keep them in bloom.

11. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    The one the kids gave me for Mother' Day 2006, last year produced lots of buds, some fell off but the others bloomed, albeit not such large flowers as the first time.

DiL is lucky with them - she just forgets them and waters them when she thinks of it. She swears this is the secret of having them bloom year for year - and hers do!

I have been copying her, watering a little about once a month. I do turn mine around now and then, she doesn't.

She keeps hers on windowsill that catches the full morning sun all year round. I put mine on a morning sun windowsill (trees and bushes near mine so not as light as at DiL's) when the buds are forming and blooming. The rest of the year it lives on an evening sun windowsill, with only filtered light.

Hope this makes sense and helps you terrier and Scotkat.

12. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    KG yes makes sense and helpful,maybe I am watering mine too often .

I take tap water and let it sit for half an hr to get to room temp then let orchid sit for 10 minutes and if after 10 mins it has not taken discard water and let sit again to see if water comes out from bottom.

Only let it take water amount it needs.

One of my Phaelanopsis is sitting by the corner of the bath and not on the window sill but gets enough light coming through window,but did notice this morning one of the leaves has dropped off.

I have now put her on the bathroom window sill to see if this helps.

I also feed her once a month with orchid feed.

Maybe beeing too kind.

Must take a photo of stage they are at now to let you see.

13. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Scotcat, I believe that these plants do not take kindly to tap water, that's why I use rain water, I don't know how much difference this might make.

14. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Good morning Terrir really should have collected tap water yesterday to take indoors .

Shall remember this.

Normally but would have water but empty water incase it frose and split.

It rained heavy all day yesterday but today its a very frosy and slippy morning lovely blue sky.

15. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/gardening/reports/plants/greenhouse_and_indoor_plants/Orchids/orchids_clinic_657_99706_2.jsp

Googled about tap water and found this interesting article Terrier.

We have good drinking tap water in Scotland but still leave it to sit for half an hour to get to room temp fo rmy orchid.

Maybe with us being away over Christmas and new year house was cold orchids maybe not have liked this temp.

And I should have not giving so many drinks over the winter.

Too kind .