organic gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Royster, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    jazid,I've seen Dendys pic's [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried those tagetes and they did absolutely nothing. Kind of put me off the companion planting thing, though I understand this is an unreasonable position...But I haven't seen Dendy's pics!! Am I missing out on an amusing sub-context (he asks paranoically)?

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG] Now listen up chaps, chapess's, and indeterminates (hopefully covering all bases here); this just isn't cricket! No interfering with the b*lls here, get it out in the open I say. Call a spade a spade, what what?? Dendrobium, it's enough to discover you're not really a tree, but a..a..person with...secret pictures...in the GC website?! GAD [​IMG]

Think I need one of these [​IMG]

5. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Jazid, would be interested to determine what you mean by "indeterminate"?
    I'll join you with one of these... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] or as it turns out a couple more...
    Cheers!
    Roy

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Haven't been on this thread for a while so have a lot of catching up to do.

Royster
    Re couch grass. It is a problem. We lifted our irises in the front garden to remove it but this takes a lot of time. when we first moved in there was a lot of it coming through from next door (abandoned garden) and I tried what an old gardener told me. I planted turnips all the way along the hedge where it was coming through - 200 feet of it!! It stopped the couch grass completely. The following year someone moved in next door and layed a lawn down there but nothing has come through since - over 30 years.

Re butternut squash:- there are lots that have developed (photo of latest picking under 'edible'). One of the things we usually make with butternut squash is a Thai style soup. We cook the squash in coconut milk, add a few flavourings and liquidise.
    ---------------
    shiney

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Re weed matting:- I have been using it in the veggie garden and it has been very succesful. This is my second year of cropping. I covered one whole section in it and planted runner beans (100 plants), tomatoes - determinate and indeterminate - (12 plants), courgettes (4 plants) and the B. squash (now renamed 'triffids').

I haven't needed to weed during the year at all. Last winter I rolled the matting back, dug, weeded (mainly bindweed), dug in compost and put the matting back. Crops have been very successful. It also makes picking a lot easier - particularly the beans that need frequent picking. I can go out there after the rain and I'm walking on totally clean plastic. The plastic doesn't seem to have deteriorated at all yet. I bought a whole roll of it (6m x 50m) and it cost 83p per metre length (and 6m wide). Money well invested!!
    --------------
    shiney

8. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The moderators should definitely put this in the GC/Jazid gender issues and (stab at) quantum physics section... [​IMG]

What I mean is that just as electrons have a spin that is either left or right-handed, so the denizens of this BB are either male or female (well usually - no disrespect aimed at transgendered/multiple x or y chromosomed, or confused electrons, etc). However the handedness of our aforementioned electron is attributed as a probability - for example 50% left, 50% right handed, and it behaves as such until its spin is actually measured, at which point the probablility 'collapses' into either total left or right handedness, and the electron becomes irrevocably handed and acts as such from then on. Its spin may be said to have become determinate, rather than indeterminate as it was before.

Our fine collection of pseudonyms might individually indicate a probability of gender, but until the chips are down that is all they do. Such of us in that position might be regarded as having indeterminate gender for the issues of the group (or at least that tiny little annexe of it that lives inside my head) as witnessed by Dendrobiums own admission. When Dendrobium replied to my post and Paladin accepted as proof the mystery photos of her, the probababalistic nature of her gender 'collapsed' and she may now regarded by those uncertain before as a determinate female - with no going back. [​IMG]

Of course Dendy you might well find my probabalistic excursions into proof of your gender a little grudging or impolite; I promise you that it is not meant that way at all. :D :D

Ah well thats it for lunch break..back to work now :(

9. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Can you explain this again in plain English please,not all this Technical Jargon you are waffling on about...or is it because I am Blonde...

Does it really matter if the person posting is Male or Female?...Shiney...Sugar Daddy/Sugar Mummy can you please tell us,No don't bother I shall scrutinise your mountain photo when I can find the post.

So Jazid,are you going to let us all in on your gender?

I have in the past sent a PM to someone with a female name on their avatar,only to find out that the person has a mans name...so beware.

Kandy

10. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry - but I'm going to say "Off topic" again. What has it got to do with the topic heading "Organic Gardening"?
    Can't understand what Jazid is talking about, but have deduced that it's something to do with the gender of posters. As I have no interest in a romantic attachment with any, the gender doesn't matter. Does it matter to anyone else?
    In case it does, I was male last time I looked. [​IMG]

11. auntie

auntie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a feeling about all these slug pellets which are supposed to be so much safer. They all contain metals, either aluminium or iron and I'm not sure I want to use them in other than essential cases.it all accumulates int he soil

12. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Well said Hornbeam.I cannot understand what this person is going on about so that makes two of us.

Kandy

13. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not worth the trouble Kandyfloss, apologies to all concerned for any offence caused, I was hoping to amuse only - just a poor sense of humour.

The point worth makiing is that gender clearly doesn't matter much within this BB. It is the very neutrality of the group that has led to this minor off topic diversion; the revelation of someones gender through a rather random slip up of mine.

I find it entertaining that seeing the word Dendrobium I unconsciously assumed it was somehow male sounding, and attributed the same to the person behind it. This came to light in the following quote from my post on this topic:

'No idea how Dendy gets the time to lift and fiddle with his herbaceous borders'

It would appear from Dendy that others have made a similar assumption. In face to face life it is a rank discourtesy to get the gender of someone you are talking to wrong. This is a relatively small group of regulars so although it is fairly anonymous I felt embarrassed that I might have caused her offence, and actually I feel that this thread could still be doing just that so my sincere apologies to you Dendy for getting you caught up in this.

With regard to my ramblings in the above post all I can say is that I haven't spend time on other web BBs, so I still find the business of imagining the identity of other posters fascinating.

:rolleyes: With regard to Hornbeam's post above here I would say that there are many valid reasons to be aware of someones gender, and forming a romantic attachment with them is only one (albeit important).

Just to get the record straight I also am not looking for a romantic relationship, am male, 46 years old, non-smoker, like travel, long walks in the country, theatre, reading, etc.

Actually I have done this over half an hour or more so have probably got a raft of offended GC'ers ahead of me to read. Sorry all!! :(

14. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Back on topic; Auntie, don't worry unduly, the soil has oodles of Aluminium in it anyway, its part of the clay component. Iron is also common, almost always good news, and is an essential micro-nutrient. The sulphates are useful too in a minor way. This is all especially true of an alkaline clay soil - it's only beneficial.

You might have concerns if you have very saline soil, heavily waterlogged, or very sandy soil, when there could be adverse effects, but these are relatively unlikely across most gardens in the UK, and the load added by slug pellets would still be small even over time.

15. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am more interested in bonfire ash :D :D :D to get rid of slugs I use LofL EGG SHELLS AND my bonfire ash . NOT SLUG PELLETS I HAVE 2 CATS. its a bit of an eyebrow Jazid all that jargon. I am a down to earth gardner. and I believe in the simple things of gardening is that too much to ask.if I wanted the gori details of soil (ph) I will go to thE RHS WEB SITE. :D [​IMG] [​IMG]