1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Over winter chilli

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Jan 18, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Thanks to Shiney I took his advice and lifted a couple of my Chilli plants and am trying to over winter them to then plant back in the greenhouse next season. They were groaning with Chillis :) when lifted but they were pretty well all green. Now they are red and are being picked to use.Very good they are too:)
    2 slight snags. I have noticed a slight infestation of whitefly:mad: and due to the whitefly? the plants are loosing quite a few leaves. I have hardly watered the plants since I lifted them so suppose it could be lack of moisture but as they are in a fairly cold bathroom but good as you can get at this time of the year sun/light wise(south facing) I purposely didn't water much.
    What am I best to do now? Pick the remaining Chillis and prune back the plants or just leave as is for a while until nearer Spring. Treat whitefly with some sort of spray (don't really use insecticides unless absolutely have to), anything "organic" which will actually work?!
    Even if the plants decide to leg up it was worth lifting them as the fruits have ripened very well. They would never have survived for long enough in my unheated greenhouse had I left them in situ.
    I will be growing Chillis c/o Shiney special seed:) next season and will grow them in big pots so I can then just bring those into the house. I found of the 2 plants I brought inside the 1 I didn't need to dig up (was already in a pot) has done better than the 1 I had to lift out of the soil border in the greenhouse.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,511
    Whitefly is always a problem. If I'm overwintering them I wait for a sunny day then put them outside and hose them down. Then wipe them. Then, every day, look under the leaves and wipe off any whitefly that have appeared.

Leaf drop is probably because of the lower temperature. They prefer 65F but not less than 60F if you want them to keep flowering. Otherwise, if there are no flowers forming, just prune back a bit. Even if there are flowers the plants will need a bit of a rest unless they are kept above 70F. so I would pick the chillies and then prune.

Water occasionally, but only from the bottom to avoid fungus gnats. If you do get any fungus gnats then skim off the top half inch of soil and replace with new.

When growing the new lot, don't start them off in large pots. Gradually re-pot them until they have reached the big pot size. Re-pot when you some roots coming out of the holes in the bottom.

With my chillies you don't really need to go much above 2 to 3 litres but other types can go bigger.

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Great @shiney. Thought it might be cold responsible for leaf drop. It's a spare bathroom and does get a bit chilly at times. I'll pick the rest of the chillis, hose down as you suggest when it's a good day and then prune back. Many thanks. ooking forward to sowing the Chili seeds you kindly sent me:) and useful advice re them not liking being started in sizeable pots.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,511
        Yes, you they need to be restricted to make them want to work harder. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
        • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,782
          Here is how I've been over-wintering my own Trinidad Moruga Scorpion chillies for 2016/2017:

[​IMG]

I know how to do bonsai but I'm not really going to shape them too much - I just wanted some greenery for my windowsill and so decided to do it this way.

There is an old thread from 2012 about growing bonsai chillies (or bonchi) but the OP never brought it to a satisfactory conclusion.

Anyway, my outdoor chilli plants were dug up and potted last November. The tops were hard pruned and any remaining leaves were pulled off.

The roots were trimmed to fit the small plastic dishes.

I used a heavy soil mix (70% top soil, 20% compost, 10% perlite) to prevent the plants from toppling over - no root wiring necessary.

Then, it was just a matter of conditioning the plants to grow the way I wanted them to.

• Like Like x 1
          • blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
            +228
            Thanks a lot for sharing! Is it also possible to overwinter tomatoes this way?

• misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,782
            Yes, it is possible to overwinter tomatoes by applying the bonsai treatment to them but do not strip all of the leaves off.

I would also use a looser soil mix, say, 40:50:10 and keep it moderately moist.

However, this would create a plant with fruit trusses on the side shoots if training a side shoot into a leader fails - this is not what you want for fruit production.

Therefore, take cuttings instead. Keep them small as you may need to keep them indoors for as long as seven months (from October to May in UK conditions).

• Useful Useful x 2
            • Creative Creative x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,511
              Although you can bonsai tomato plants you would really only want to do so with cherry type tomatoes. When turning plants into bonsai you will be miniaturising the plant but flowers and fruit grow to their normal size. So the plant can become very top heavy and the branches will need support.

A more successful tree to grow as a bonsai, for interesting results, is laburnum. The flowers can be as big as the bonsai and give a spectacular effect. As the flowers are not heavy they don't put a strain on the tree.

• Useful Useful x 1
              • blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
                +228
                Thanks very much @misterQ and @shiney. Is artificial lighting needed? Or a windowsill is sufficient?

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,511
                A windowsill is sufficient. Just make sure that you aren't getting cold downdraughts from the glass of the window.

• Useful Useful x 1
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Thanks for all the useful advice.
                  My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to prune them today and useful to see that you can be quite severe.

• Like Like x 1