Packing up the garden for the winter, gladioli, ginger lilly and strawberries

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jonnygardener, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Ummm, no idea! They came from Wilky's, lots of different colours-white, red, salmon, pink, yellow. Very pretty and excellent value (love Wilky's).

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    John, gingers are strange plants, green stems kept growing through the winter are not likely to flower next year.
    Its the new ones that surface in the spring that will flower, so you need to get it going as early as possible.
    I dry mine off, and cut back all the stems, leave it in the pot, and store it frost free but cool all winter.

3. Jonnygardener

Jonnygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete,

Re: Ginger, as I mentioned I have one main stem about 3ft high but with only leaves, and a second late starting shoot in a new location within the pot, the second one is only about 12inches high and only has 2 leaves.

Taking your advise, i'll take the pot in for the winter, cut back the main stem and leave the new small one in place. The family member who gave me the original rhizome (tuba/cutting) has about a dozen all fully flourishing in his garden but he has the luxury of a greenhouse to protect them well over the winter again. Do you give it any water at all while in storage ??