1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Parsnips starting to regrow

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,793
    Yup, tastes a touch like a dry sherry

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,160
    Piccies of my dryer:
    20161001-PA010023.jpg

Pumpkins sliced to about 3" by 1" - shows how much they shrivel up:
    20161031-PA310030.jpg

Beetroot sliced to about 1/4" inch, came out a bit like crisps:
    20161031-PA310031.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Not a bad idea @Jack McHammocklashing except 2nd hand freezers can be a bit tricky and don't move that well. My commercial sized freezer (have a regular sized 1 in the kitchen as well) lives in an outbuilding. If a freezer has been used to being in a house they often don't acclimatize very well to being outside and being below zero at times unfortunately.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      @silu You should pay a visit, they have all sorts from commercial ice cream freezers Walls, to general house ones in different sizes and all are guaranteed
      I have a tight wad ex lawyer in the family and he got a fridge and a separate freezer with three months guarantee, the delivery is an inclusive price per delivery not per appliance, serviced before sold by charity engineers
      He has managed four years so far Barsteward (You know who I mean)

They have some excellent furniture, Kirkcaldy McKintosh for pennies, Like a Rosewood table for your shed 12 x 4 as new £40 :-), Well worth a look around, they also do Office furniture, filing cabinets etc at £20 really an eye opener of a visit Full sized Snooker table is expensive at £35 +£15 delivery. Paint £5 a gallon
      Cupar at Burnside, Glenrothes behind Morrisons if you were to know that area :-)

Hey it is a good afternoon out just for a look see, and coffee is 20p or Donaldsons Cupar for the quality stuff

PM if you fancy a quick look see for fun

Jack

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Well that's all the Parsnips lifted. Some are A LOT bigger than I thought they'd be and I reckon I've got about 20kg:yikes:. Before I can sort the freezer space problem and or get a dehydrator am I best to store them clean or still with soil on them? They aren't too muddy and wondered if like spuds they are best stored dirty.
      They'll have to stay in an outbuilding on a pallet so :fingers crossed: they don't rot off. Might also have a go at this wine malarky if it tastes like dry Sherry, yum! Any good recipes on the net I could have a look at please @Loofah or @NigelJ . Thanks.

• JWK

Ratings:
      +46,160
      Don't wash off the dirt, as you say they will store better same as spuds with soil on. Keep them as cool as possible. I've tried keeping them after lifting and the longest I've managed is a couple of weeks before they start going soft.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks @JWK. I didn't think they would store for very long. Had better buck my ideas up with what I'm going to do. While the ones we had roasted yesterday were a bit woody they still had a lovely taste and I'd be sad to loose the excess.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,331
        My 2015 batch came out rather like a dessert wine, I've not tried 2016's yet.
        5lb Parsnips washed, peeled and cut into small pieces, boil until tender in 1gallon of water. Strain water into fermenting vessel, do not squeeze the parsnips. Add the zest and juice of one lemon, half oz citric acid, pectin destroying enzyme and a crushed Campden tablet. Leave overnight, stir in 3lb of sugar. Leave for 24hours and then add yeast and yeast nutrient. Stand in a warm place and stir daily for two weeks and then strain off into a demijohn with an airlock. When fermentation has finished transfer into a clean container and add a crushed Campden tablet. Leave for two months to settle/clear and then bottle.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thanks @NigelJ. Yikes there is quite a fair bit involved with the making of Parsnip wine. I didn't have or even knew what a fermenting vessel is!:). I have been doing some homewrk on them and Campden tablets/pectin destroying enzyme, this is all completely new to me. I have found a sort of healthfood shop which sells Parsnip wine so am off to get a bottle to see if I like it before going to the fair amount of trouble and expense of buying all the necessary to DIY some.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,160
          Dug up a bucket full of Parsnips this weekend, froze some and dehydrated the rest:
          Set up the dehydrator yesterday morning:
          20170128-P1280052.jpg
          20170128-P1280053.jpg

... and they are dry by this afternoon. They have shrunk by about a quarter.
          Following photo shows 3lbs frozen on the left and 6lbs (starting weight) dehydrated on the right:

20170129-P1290042.jpg

Also made some crisps, I love these:
          20170128-P1280055.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Look extremely yummy @JWK, you may have convinced me to get a machine!

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,160
              Hope I didn't mislead, I made the crisps in the oven (not the dehydrator) by the way.

• Like Like x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                Why is it that home grown Parsnips seem to go soft quickly, whilst scrubbed supermarket Parsnips stay firm for longer? I very often have trouble convincing Mrs Scrungee about the benefits of my grubby, bendy offerings.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  :) Had just the same "discussion" and the concensus is that the rest of my veg offerings are very good/welcome except for my Parsnips:cry3:. Big vote for more Carrots and forget Parsnips (buy shop bought) oh well maybe they are right, many of mine have had quite a few roots (probably too much manure) and some have had canker. Think I'll grow just a few next season and use the extra space for more Carrots which do taste SO much better than shop bought.

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +21,793
                    Shop bought barely have any taste! My guess would be they're harvested early before they have time to develop fully

• Like Like x 1